Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

HEAR ABOUT IT LATER ,UNCHAINED
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

been playin for over 10 yrs off and on. i got most of the tapin stuff down and the tremolo picked stuff, but are there any excercises i can do to get my left and right hands speeded up and sychronized to do more of the fast pickin and legatto stuff? like the solo to on fire. that solo is bad ass or the phrase in the begining of girl gone bad that kinda sync's up with the rototom lick that alex does that is cool too. any help by you shreders here at the links would be appreciated.
    Hey man, that suit is you woooo hoo hooooo!<p>Takes me at least halfway to the label b'fore I can even make it through the night

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Absolutely.

Don't forget the old addage: Practice Smarter, not harder.

With that in mind I merely suggest getting a decent digital metronome. They're fairly cheap and will do wonders for your rhythmic capabalities, that is, if you USE it.

Speaking of the solo to On Fire. I would just suggest practicing that whole solely, precisely and methodically, with the use of a metronome.

Also, do some chromatic alternate picking excercises, as well as scalar alternate and legato picking runs. This will get you flyin in no time.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Reeeeaaaall good advice. Tremolo picking does actually slow your fingering hand down.
    When you're doing 3, or 4 note runs on each string before moving to the next, just hit the string once, and let your fingers complete the run before moving to and picking the next string.
    As Abe and TheMightyC say, always keep a metronome handy when learning runs.
    It's embarrasing when you've spent all your time learning a passage and then finding out once you play it with the band, you can't do it in time to the music.
    I'm always getting kicked offstage for that.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I never learned how to sweep pick... not that I really think I'd ever use it, but it sounds cool when I hear those that can noodle around with it do it well.
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

HEAR ABOUT IT LATER ,UNCHAINED
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i am not saying that i tremolo pick everything, but am capable of doing it for example the tremolo picked passage in the middle of eruption or the passage in the atomic punk solo right toward the end. i will pick up a metronome this weekend and keep you informed. so you suggest playing the passage slowly in time with the metronome and gradually bringing it up to speed? i am gonna sit down with that on fire solo and lock my self into the room until i get it.
    Hey man, that suit is you woooo hoo hooooo!<p>Takes me at least halfway to the label b'fore I can even make it through the night

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The problem with tremolo picking is that your hands are moving out of sync, which makes for a really tough habit to break when you want to gain precision.

As for using the metronome, start EXTREMELY slowly. So slow that it could put you to sleep. Concentrate on making all your movements as efficient as possible, and of course as accurate as possible. Any little flaw in your technique at 90 beats per minute becomes a HUGE flaw at 120.

Here's the tough part: unless you have some abnormal level of natural dexterity, it's going to take a lot of time and effort to get your chops up to snuff. So make sure you come out of your room for meals, bathroom breaks, and a shower or two.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm currently working on a book designed to develop some SERIOUS levels of technique. I don't know when I'll have it finished (gotta record a CD of all the examples....yikes!), but I've been analyzing playing technique while working on it, so if you want to PM me, I can try and help you out. However, if you're looking for quick short-term improvement, then I wouldn't be of much help; most of the material I'm using seems to make you 'worse' at first, with the payoff only coming after some considerable practice time.

If speed is your only concern, go get Troy Stetina's Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar book (Hal Leonard publishes it). If fast is what you want, that'll get you there in a minimal amount of time.

One thing I will warn you of in this thread is the following: while tremolo picking is a great technique, using it may actually be HINDERING your progress. (I found that out the hard way) And, as many others would be sure to tell you, a metronome is an absolute MUST. It's the most important investment you can make for your playing.

Also, what the gentleman above said about practicing SMART is good advice, but it leads me to a question: Do you know how to practice? I don't mean that as a smart-ass remark; it's a very legit question. There are several schools of thought on practicing, but the basic premises are the same. Sadly, it's the one skill that many musicians keep secret, since it can destroy their image as 'genius' if people knew how much work they put into their playing as opposed to just being 'gifted'.

Anyhooo, I'd like to hear more from ya about this stuff. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by AbeVanHalen:
    The problem with tremolo picking is that your hands are moving out of sync, which makes for a really tough habit to break when you want to gain precision.

As for using the metronome, start EXTREMELY slowly. So slow that it could put you to sleep. Concentrate on making all your movements as efficient as possible, and of course as accurate as possible. Any little flaw in your technique at 90 beats per minute becomes a HUGE flaw at 120.

Here's the tough part: unless you have some abnormal level of natural dexterity, it's going to take a lot of time and effort to get your chops up to snuff. So make sure you come out of your room for meals, bathroom breaks, and a shower or two.
    <hr></blockquote>

With that in mind, just so we're clear, remember to use alternate picking in these passages. Simply, up and down strokes. When you get proficient enough with it, you can facilitate it enough either to trem pick, or to easily interchange between the two. Yngwie can alternate pick so fast on one note it basically is trem picking. Principally, trem picking is fast alternate picking, while using more than one up and down stroke per note. But I think alot of other, myself included, use more wrist action, or a different motion when trem picking as opposed to alternate.

Edward, on the other hand, fucking trips me out. I don't see how he trem picks like he does. It's very atypical, but then again, it is Sir Edward. Just the way in which he holds his hand in his pick attack with this technique is so unorthodox, blows me away.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Last Online

01.15.07 @ 05:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

John Petrucci's Rock Discipline is one of the best
    instructional videos I've seen that covers most of the stuff your wanting to work on. Get the video and a metronome and have fun practicing. I'm doing just that at this time in my life and I've been playing for 20 years. It's never to late to improve.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 11,603 Times in 4,947 Posts

The way Ed holds his pick and wrist when he trem picks is unbelievable, and freaking impossible!
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

06.24.15 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Japanese Eddie

Does anybody remember a japanese instructional video by a Japanese guy named Edward Von Hollen or something to that effect. He looked just like Ed.

does anybody have a link

Thanks
    "Well, he's an intelligent, well-read guy. But it's like he can't connect the dots somehow." (EVH Guitar World, March 1998).

GP: "Did you use a pick for "Spanish Fly"?

EVH: "Yeah, except for the part near the end that sounds like Montoya or something."

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 08:47 AM
    Liked 2,239 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

Holy crap, zombie-thread alert!

Can't help you dude, I just wanted in before this dies again.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

Alright, I admit - All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Almost all of them
    Last Online

03.01.12 @ 05:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    The way Ed holds his pick and wrist when he trem picks is unbelievable, and freaking impossible!
    I describe EVH's trem picks as a light-speed pendulum. WARP 10! It's like his wrist is on speed or crack or something! LOL! I can get some of the trem picks, but cannot sustain it long enough or do it 100% like him. I'm probably just a weakling when it comes to it!
    Homer: No one snuggles with Max Power. Just strap on and feel the Gs!

American Coast Guard: Back off Canadians we got them.
    Canadian Coast Guard: You back off hosers, they are in Canadian waters, eh.
    American Coast Guard: Beat it you puck smacking maple suckers!
    Canadian Coast Guard: Take a hike you Shatner stealing Mexico touchers!

Bart: Who the hell is this?
    Jack Bauer: I’m Jack Bauer, who the hell is this?
    Bart: Me, er… I’m Ahmed Adudi
    Jack: Chloe, get me all you can on Ahmed Adudi… Does anyone there know Ahmed Adudi?
    Chloe O’Brien: Ahmed Adudi; wealthy Saudi financier… Disappeared into Afghanistan in the late 90s…
    Jack: … Really?
    Chloe (ironically): No Jack it’s a joke name, you’re being set up.
    Jack: DAMMIT!

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Here's a tip that all of the pros use:
    Get a quarter and place it between your butt cheeks. Clench your cheeks so that the quarter doesn't fall out. This helps to tighten the muscle groups in your shoulders and back that are used for good speed picking. You can even try walking around all day with the quarter in place. That way you're still exercising the right muscles even when you don't have a guitar in your hands.

Don't read this.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 08:47 AM
    Liked 2,239 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

If you ever drop a quarter in my presence, you don't have to worry about me taking it.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.