Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's a little story for ya. A couple years back, the shop I worked at got a shipment of Fender acoustics, ranging from cheapies to the top line they make.

Among this shipment was a CLASSIC moment: one of the guitars, while saying FENDER on the headstock and inside the guitar, the factory ("fender" factory) had made a small error...

The pickguard on this guitar was an EPIPHONE!!! Straight from the shipping dept., which came straight from the factory and was never checked before it met the retail dealer, proof was finally out. For those of you that ever wondered who all uses outside builders for their instruments, Fender and Epiphone have the same factory build their acoustics.

If you are ever looking to buy one of those, if 2 guitars seem to be the same, except for the headstocks and anything else labeled, they are likely the SAME model; shop accordingly.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Favorite VH Album

The one with the :
    Favorite VH Song

high fast stuff.
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:17 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Interesting. I've heard that little known companies like Shecter and Samick build guitars for lots of name brand companies too.

Same thing with different brands of strings.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Off the rack guitars suck anyway [img]smilies/devil.gif[/img]
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'll second that one homeunit. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Heres an off the rack guitar story for ya. Saturday I go to this store where I live (Jackson, MS... by the way peavey makes their guitars here) and I wanted an Epiphon LP so I play a few and decide on the one I want. Well, right off the bat I had to get them to correct the action because it was terribly set up. I go home and play the shit out of that thing and the next day I notice that sometimes when I switch to the bridge pickup it doesnt come on, I thought it was the switch so I take it in. The guy gets the guitar and switches the pickup on and nothing happens. Turns out it wasnt the switch it was the pickup. A fucking brand new guitar with a broken pickup!!
    The guy basically said that shit happens and to get a new one so I did but I have my own theory on why it broke.
    For some reason they have stickers on all the pickups when they get them so the one I wanted had some glue all over it, I told the dude to get it off so he gets some alcohol and a q-tip and goes wild. I'm talking about this was some serious glue....it took him about ten minuets to get it off. So anyway i think that bastard broke it with his vicious use of a q-tip and some alcohol.

[ June 19, 2001 at 05:46 PM: Message edited by: RAFTER ]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I also have heard and been told by a guitar shop owner I trust that Samick makes guitars for almost everyone...

This shouldn't surprise anyone...Private labeling is common...BTW, if you ever go to Sears for paint, it is all made by Sherwin-Williams...companies buy names...

Those cheap ass ToasteeOats you think probably suck are likely just Cheerios in a generic box... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

True Sacto. Samick makes guitars for at least 60% of the manufacturers out there. Believe it or not though, I 've seen some Samicks that surprised me and were very high quality. Top of the line woods and construction.
    Hard to say what the quality's like when someone elses label is on the headstock though.

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RAFTER:
    Heres an off the rack guitar story for ya. Saturday I go to this store where I live (Jackson, MS... by the way peavey makes their guitars here) and I wanted an Epiphon LP so I play a few and decide on the one I want. Well, right off the bat I had to get them to correct the action because it was terribly set up. I go home and play the shit out of that thing and the next day I notice that sometimes when I switch to the bridge pickup it doesnt come on, I thought it was the switch so I take it in. The guy gets the guitar and switches the pickup on and nothing happens. Turns out it wasnt the switch it was the pickup. A fucking brand new guitar with a broken pickup!!
    The guy basically said that shit happens and to get a new one so I did but I have my own theory on why it broke.
    For some reason they have stickers on all the pickups when they get them so the one I wanted had some glue all over it, I told the dude to get it off so he gets some alcohol and a q-tip and goes wild. I'm talking about this was some serious glue....it took him about ten minuets to get it off. So anyway i think that bastard broke it with his vicious use of a q-tip and some alcohol.

[ June 19, 2001 at 05:46 PM: Message edited by: RAFTER ]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't tell me that fucker made you pay for the new pickup...that'd be some royally fucked up shit man.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.28.08 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I doubt very seriously that a Q-tip and some alcohol hurt that pickup at all. The only way that would hurt it is if the pickup cover was off and he physically broke a winding in the coil. I have potted pickups in parafin wax, and trust me, that is a much harsher process than a Q-tip and alcohol cleaning would do. My bet is that the pickup was fooked up from the factory. They probably didn't get one of the coil wires soldered good and that might be the reason it worked when you first tried it out (I hope you did that,) but then after taking it home it broke loose. Pickup wires are very, very delicate, so it wouldn't take much of a jolt to break it if it wasn't soldered good to start with.
    Eat Us and Smile...yeah we're still around.

Roth Army Webmaster
    http://www.rotharmy.com

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There's virtually no way that the amp you plug into is gonna fry a pickup without frying you first. If you play another guitar through that amp without trouble then the problem is most likely with the guitars you just bought. It is not uncommon for an entire run of guitars to have the same problem, usually caused by the factory having an entire run of defective parts.

Since pickup wires are within the pickup, you aren't gonna hurt anything by playing them; that's what they're there for! Maybe Epiphone has a batch of bad pickups, or maybe the guy soldering them was slacking off that day. It could be almost anything. Whoever you bought it from should not only be willing to replace it (again), they should be looking into the problem with other similar guitars. (like a recall of a car) If you kept coming back and saying that the guitar is breaking strings, after close inspection of them, I would consider the user's playing style a possible factor. But since your problem is electronic, I would blame the factory LONG before considering that you may have screwed it up.

So, take it back, and explain the problem as well as you can. If it was me, I would consider avoiding that line of guitars for a while, or I would be prepared to replace the electronics on my own; that way, I would KNOW that I messed something up if it stopped working. If the guitar plays/feels/sounds/looks good, and is structurally sound (body, neck, hardware) I would be more willing to put up with the faulty electronics and handle that on my own. If a guitar has a bad neck, major hardware problems, or doesn't feel right, I wouldn't buy it in the first place.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RAFTER:
    Saturday I go to this store where I live (Jackson, MS... by the way peavey makes their guitars here) and I wanted an Epiphon LP so I play a few and decide on the one I want. Well, right off the bat I had to get them to correct the action because it was terribly set up. I go home and play the shit out of that thing and the next day I notice that sometimes when I switch to the bridge pickup it doesnt come on, I thought it was the switch so I take it in. The guy gets the guitar and switches the pickup on and nothing happens. Turns out it wasnt the switch it was the pickup. A fucking brand new guitar with a broken pickup!!
    The guy basically said that shit happens and to get a new one so I did.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now, I get this new one home (the store let me switch the guitar with the broken pickup for an identical one) and the same thing happens to this one that happened to the last one. The bridge pickup is fucked. The first one I got took about 3 days to brake and this one took about 5. On both guitars if I turn up the volume real high when I have the bridge pickup on you can kind of hear it, so what I think is happening is one of the coils is not working (their humbuckers). Anyway what do you guys think about this one? Do you think that this store got a shipment of some seriously shitty epiphones or what. I never banged the guitars against the wall or dropped them or anything like that. I am wondering if those bastards will give me my money back. Could I somehow be fucking up these guitars??????? All I ever do is play them through a little practice amp cause I had to sell my marshals.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rafter, what store did you buy that thing at? Just wondering so I will know which to avoid. Where at in Jackson do you live anyway? I'm up in Madison.
    <a href="http://www.unityparty2001.com/cgi-local/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi" target="_blank">Electric Shock</a>

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Music Go Round in Clinton.