Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

02.12.13 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Need some help from you guitar players. I've been thinking of buying a guitar and am curious as to the advantages/disadvantages of a Floyd Rose tremolo as opposed to a Wilkinson or a standard Fender tremolo. The guitars I'm looking at are a Fender Floyd Rose Classic Strat HSS, a Fender American Fat Strat Texas special w/standard tremolo and a Carvin TL60 w/Wilkinson tremolo. Thanks.
    "With me in the band, it's one of those miraculous 97-97 deals. It's 97 percent you and 97 percent moi. Is it Mick or Keith? I don't know" -DLR

"We eventually started playing clubs, and we also did weddings. We played everything from the Ohio Players to K.C. & the Sunshine Band. You would love the sight of Van Halen doing 'Get Down Tonight'! But by the third set when everybody was good and tanked up--boy, we'd be blazin'!" -Michael Anthony

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

I've been playing for the better part of 20 years, and until recently I was always able to do what I needed to with a standard tremelo. I didn't have strings going out of tune like you hear sometimes, and I could do just about any dive that Eddie had to offer without issue. However, a couple of years ago I decided to try a Floyd. Took some getting used to with the tension, and then I was a happy man. I have swapped several trems with a Floyd (all on my own) [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] There really is a difference especially when pulling up on the harmonics. That's why they are so popular with so many players. Yes, it's a bitch to setup the first time, but then it's like no turning back. I highly recommend it. As for licenses on the Floyd, I have played licensed and original, and I think both are fine. Sure some folks will argue to go with the original because of bad experiences, but so far I haven't had problems. Hope that helps [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

[ September 17, 2002, 10:31 AM: Message edited by: el_jalepeno ]

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I gave up on trems somewhere @ '93... all together! I still play VH and alot of 80's style, just no divebombing. I just found that I liked the feel of either a set trem (blocked standard strat with no give) or stop tail (PRS, Les Paul). Of corse, I've had to learn to bend the shit out of a note to duplicate the effect, but that wasnt as hard as you would think. Pluss, I gor REAL sick of blowing strings (didnt happen all that oftrn, but when it did, what a pain in the nuts), having to switch out guitars mid song, taking FOREVER to re-string.
    Your results may vary... lol

[ September 17, 2002, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: SMUDGE NYC ]
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Smudge, I'm the same way.... I'd rather not play on a Floyd, or any tremolo for that matter. Breaking a string then having your entire guitar go out of tune sucks.

I have a wolfgang, and I could donate my whammy bar to the smithsonian, because I never use it..
    Your favorite band sucks.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by xaminer:
    Smudge, I'm the same way.... I'd rather not play on a Floyd, or any tremolo for that matter. Breaking a string then having your entire guitar go out of tune sucks.

I have a wolfgang, and I could donate my whammy bar to the smithsonian, because I never use it..
    Man! Y'all are missing out... [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] As for breaking strings and throwing the entire guitar outta tune... Well I figured we're all professionals in this forum [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] Just messing with you, but you guys are really missing out. Using the whammy is like a whole other instrument. Yes, I was hesitant at first. The first time I tried one was when I bought me a Dimebag Darrell as a little treat. UGLIEST fucking guitar So Actually I think I am just too damn old for it... But the point is that I couldn't stand the Floyd on it, and that was my excuse for taking it back... Later in my life I found the virtue of slammy a whammy with a locking nut, and it really is hard to break strings with it. Would I shit you??? [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] But to each is own...

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a Fender Fat Strat deluxe with a traditional Fender Trem. system. The thing is great. Stays in tune better then any other non locking system I have ever played. I think it has something to do with the Nut having ball bearings in it. As for the Floyd, changing strings is annoying, but I have found that unlike any of the other Floyds I have had in the past, the Floyd on my Wolfgang stays in tune perfectly when I brake a string. The only reason I can think of is that the Floyd on the Wolfgang is flush against the body. No pulling up. I love the Floyd, and the D-Tuner is awesome!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by AceVH:
    I have a Fender Fat Strat deluxe with a traditional Fender Trem. system. The thing is great. Stays in tune better then any other non locking system I have ever played. I think it has something to do with the Nut having ball bearings in it. As for the Floyd, changing strings is annoying, but I have found that unlike any of the other Floyds I have had in the past, the Floyd on my Wolfgang stays in tune perfectly when I brake a string. The only reason I can think of is that the Floyd on the Wolfgang is flush against the body. No pulling up. I love the Floyd, and the D-Tuner is awesome!
    Flush against the body is a real help in keeping it in tune if a string breaks, but you are limited in what you can with it... I know, I know, Ed's is flush as well, but to use the D Tuna, it needs to be. You can't pull back with the little puppy sticking out as far as it does [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Glad someone is for the Floyd! That's what is missing in lead guitar nowadays. No disrespect if you don't want to use it, but try... Talk about peer pressure

[ September 18, 2002, 09:00 AM: Message edited by: el_jalepeno ]

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

qb][/QUOTE]That's what is missing in lead guitar nowadays. No disrespect if you don't want to use it, but try... Talk about peer pressure [/QB][/QUOTE]

Nah.. I tried using my guitarists ESP with a Floyd receintly & while it was fun to fiddle with, my style has addapted SO much since I had a Floyd that it was more of a distraction then anything. But enjoy it! Diversity is what it's ALL about!
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.07.15 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

I've been around the block on this tremolo thing. I've had quite a few different types. (Kahler, Floyd Rose and Wilkinson. If you are going to use it as extremely as Ed does, I would definately go with a Floyd. With my Wilkinson it stays in tune fairly well but I don't use it that hard. With the Floyd I can literally drop it until the strings hang of the neck an inch or two and it always goes back in tune. There are trade offs with it though. When you break a string your screwed. You will still have to unclamp it to change the string. There are a few things you can do to avoid that. If you have a gig, change the strings a day before and play them out a bit. With any guitar you really need to stretch the strings out when you change them.

The other question would be do you want it to float or not. WHen you have a floating bar there are two huge problems. One is if the string breaks, it will be completely out of tune. Also when you change all the strings it will take you an eternity to get it in tune. Vai and Dimebag use a floating tremolo. Eddie's tremolo is blocked so he doesn't have those problems. (Also you really can't have it floating if you use a D Tuna.)
    "Why behave in public if you're living on a playground?"

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by ETRIGAN:
    I've been around the block on this tremolo thing. I've had quite a few different types. (Kahler, Floyd Rose and Wilkinson. If you are going to use it as extremely as Ed does, I would definately go with a Floyd. With my Wilkinson it stays in tune fairly well but I don't use it that hard. With the Floyd I can literally drop it until the strings hang of the neck an inch or two and it always goes back in tune. There are trade offs with it though. When you break a string your screwed. You will still have to unclamp it to change the string. There are a few things you can do to avoid that. If you have a gig, change the strings a day before and play them out a bit. With any guitar you really need to stretch the strings out when you change them.

The other question would be do you want it to float or not. WHen you have a floating bar there are two huge problems. One is if the string breaks, it will be completely out of tune. Also when you change all the strings it will take you an eternity to get it in tune. Vai and Dimebag use a floating tremolo. Eddie's tremolo is blocked so he doesn't have those problems. (Also you really can't have it floating if you use a D Tuna.)
    Keep in mind that since it is floating, it's a little easier to change the strings and tune it up while you have the bridge shimmed so it maintains its level and you don't have to deal with the extra tension Yep, you will lose a little tension, but certainly not as much. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] Just an idea