Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, WACF, FW, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

"They\'re all hit singles, man" - DLR
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When I try to mic my amp with the standard little mic that comes with most soundcards, I'm not getting the tone anywhere near from my amp. The sound is too trebly, and my tone just sounds dead when I play it back. I'm using a Sound Blaster Live. Any suggestions?
    Right Now...My gf is probably reading my posts.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

The short answer is to use something like a Pod amp sim and forget about micing altogether. Sorry if that sounds a little glib, but amp sims are the best answer for home recording IMHO. Using your sound card mic to record an amp presents two problems -
    1. The quality of the mic itself probably isn't going to help
    2. Close micing an amp only gives you a fraction of the sound. When you hear your amp in a room, you hear the sound coming from the whole cabinet, front and back, your hear the sound reflected off the walls, you hear the amp resonating through the floor and so on. A mic only hears the paper in the cone vibrating, so it's never going to sound like your amp.

If you have to close mic, it can help to position the mic in a certain way. I've found this works ...

Place the mic at the bottom of the cone, about an inch from the edge. Angle the mic so that it points in a line parallel to the paper of the cone, rather than pointing straight at it, like this...

/
    | < speaker
    \
    ...\ < mic

Does that diagram make sense? This is called 'off-axis' micing and it should help cut down on the nasty treble. Anyway, I've found this works for me, but everyone has their own way of doing things, so experiment, experiment, experiment!
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've even run my guitar to a Digitech or the Boss and straight into the line-in on the soundcard. It still sounded terrible. I've been meaning to try a POD out, but everyone seems to either love 'em or hate 'em.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

05.17.09 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

That's exactly how I have mine setup, I use the cheap $7.00 mic that came with my system way back when. What I do is just move it around to where I get the best sound, sometimes backing it off does the trick. You can here my tone here http://www.bundymania.com/audio/ my sound card is also an SB Live! Edition and I use CoolEdit Pro and a $69.00 Crate 15 watt amp. It sounds cheap but not bad considering the equipment.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Mics that come with PC's simply aren't meant for that kind of application. Their quality is sufficient for spoken voice recordings and that's about it.

Get a general workhorse mic like a shure sm57. I've used those for live and recording purposes for years, and they capture my rig's sound pretty true.

Your sound will vary not only by the angle of the mic towards the speaker, but by the proximity as well. 1-3 inches from the cone will get you a lot more bottom end and attack, and as you move away, it will accentuate your mids and highs more. Generally, as you vary your angle and distance, the attack and tone are affected. Off-axis with the edge of the cone will get you a more trebly sound, if that's what you happen to be shooting for.

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by 5150atomic:
    When I try to mic my amp with the standard little mic that comes with most soundcards, I'm not getting the tone anywhere near from my amp. The sound is too trebly, and my tone just sounds dead when I play it back. I'm using a Sound Blaster Live. Any suggestions?
    What recording software are you using?

Those mics blow donk man, you aren't gonna get nothin good from it.

You mention going DI with your Digitech and Boss, are you employing the speaker cab simulators when you go direct?
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

First 6
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've never been able to mic my amp and get it to sound anything like what my amp actually sounds like. Its always waaaaay too harsh - lots of hi end and no body. I've tried a bunch of different mic placements and the best seems to be angled about 45 from the cone about 3 feet diagonally out from the cabinet. Maybe its just in my mind, but I think it picks up a little bit of the resonation of the cabinet.

I have a 5150 head and cabinet - you can get a really nice warm sound from the rhythme channel - I've never been able to capture that. I'm gonna start using 2 mics - a close one and one further out in the room. But then I'll get into phasing problems - wierd stuff!

I have a shure 57 running into a Guilmot (sp) mother / daughter ISIS sound card in my computer. For software, I use Wavelab and Cool Edit. Suits my purposes...

Anyway, I bought a POD ver 2 and it works really well. Just demo stuff for my own enjoyment.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Close mic AND far mic. Mic the cone & then set a mic up a few feet away from the amp... pick up the tones in the room. Try it... You'll like it!
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by TheMightyCopenHalenII:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by 5150atomic:
    What recording software are you using?

Those mics blow donk man, you aren't gonna get nothin good from it.

You mention going DI with your Digitech and Boss, are you employing the speaker cab simulators when you go direct?
    </font>[/QUOTE]No I haven't, I havent really tweaked the Digi for all it's worth, I haven't had it too long. I'll give that a try. I'm recording with CEP2 for the guy that was asking, got it cracked off of Kazaa.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by SMUDGE NYC:
    Close mic AND far mic. Mic the cone & then set a mic up a few feet away from the amp... pick up the tones in the room. Try it... You'll like it!
    True. Especially since every rig is going to be different. Always a good idea to experiment and see what sounds best.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by SMUDGE NYC:
    I don't think the SB Live will record from 2 sources simultaneously, much less 2 mics.