Thread: POD

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

all of them
    Last Online

04.23.05 @ 06:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What do you guys think of the desktop POD? Good sounding? Alot of people like them, but I don't know much about them. Pros, cons...?
    God Speaks to us through the Bible. If He could play the guitar, he'd play it through Eddie Van Halen.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Desk top POD??

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by tribb:
    Desk top POD??
    I think he means the kidney shaped unit as opposed to the POD Pro...

Anyhow...

I've got a POD...love the thing to death. Great for recording, great for practicing QUIETLY, and great for writing.

I've never used one on stage, so I can't speak from experience in that regard.

It's easy as hell to use and sounds pretty damn good. Does it sound exactly like the amps it models? NO, but the sounds are good nonetheless.

Warning: in my opinion, the reverb sucks. I don't mean that it's not Lexicon-quality, I mean it SUCKS. The other effects are passable, but they aren't up to the standard that the amp/cab models are.

Also, the presets SUCK. Just like damn near every programmable unit in the world, the guys who make the presets have bad taste. With some twiddling and tweaking, you can make the thing sound like almost anything you want.

The Johnson J-Station is similar, but is considerably less expensive. Same goes for the Behringer V-Amp, but I haven't heard that one yet to base any opinions on.

Overall, the POD is a great tool, and as long as you aren't hung up on the stigma of it being digital, you'll probably like the thing a lot. Do yourself a big favor: go try one out, as well as the competing products on the market.

And if the phrase 'desktop POD' means something other than what I assumed, please disregard my post.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Since I recently acquired a 5150 combo, and have been trapped in the decibel confines of a hotel room for the greater part of 4 months, I really haven't had the opportunity to mess with it that much.

In that respect, I've always thought that if you have a tube amp, go with pedals, and ditch the other shit. Granted most of these guys with pods, use em for recording, and I've heard some bands goin in with em, and they sound good.

But I just thought I would suggest, although I've only owned an RP5, is possibly an RP7, RP20, or RP21 by Digitech. Like I said, they are tube equipped, but I have no experience with their tube capabilities. With that in mind, I would like some input on em.

If you go with a solid state amp, how about a mesa boogie V twin? That is another product I remember from way back, that I also have no experience with...just food for thought
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I had a pod pro for a while and it was great for doing demos in my condo.

As far as a live tool, they stink. As far a good recording tool, they suck up against a real tube amp.

I tried everything with mine to get it to work for live work, and adat quality work, and IMO the amp modelers aren't there yet. They work ok to fatten up a track, but on their own, forget it.

I know a lotta guy who swear by them, but every one I try grates on me, they sound fake. My buddy played through a Vetta at rehersal the other night, and yuck! Mind you it's interface looked like something out of star trek, so who knows?

I'm a bit anal when it comes to tone, so I'm not the best guy to ask about these things, if it doesn't have tubes, I don't want it
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When I first hooked my POD into my Marshall combo, it sounded so damn weak! I love the thing for recording purposes. Well at practice the other day I was having problems with my main processor I normally use for live use, and said "Hmmmm, I wonder what would happen if I ran my POD through my BBE 382 Maximizer then to my amp"? I tried it, and it doesn't sound so weak anymore. Is it something I would use for stage performance? I doubt it. But it's become quite useful for practicing with the band. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    And beyond the horizon.... a sound was heard.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I gotta be honest... Line 6 stuff sucks! I tried, tweaked, went to websites, did everything I could to MAKE myself like the POD, & THREE different amps they make.... no dice. But, If they work for you... enjoy.
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

06.05.17 @ 08:59 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Folks,

I just sold my POD....I had it for a year and I simply couldn't make it sing.

I originally bought the POD to replace a Boss GT-3 which I loved. But I fell prey to the hype surrounding the POD.

The factual problem surrounding the POD is that it is Muddy as hell. Sure, you can dial in some high end....but then it sounds no different than any of the other emulators. I think a great deal of people have confused the muddiness of the pod for tube warmth...and although the tube sag that the POD emulates is fairly good....I'd rather have something that sounds incredible...without having to go crazy trying to give it some high end.

So I repurchased a BOSS GT-3 and I couldn't be happier with it.

-F

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just to add my two cents I have the J-Station, and imo it absolutely kills the POD in the Marshall area. The 78 Marshall model on the J-Station, isn't muddy at all, and since I've got my 71 Super Lead I've seen first hand that the eq and vol controls on the J-Station respond just like on the Marshall, except that my Marshall is non master, and the j- station marshall model has a master volume.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.26.07 @ 11:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've had a POD for a little over one year now.
    I rellay like its flexibility, and the fact that I can practice quietly for hours on end.

I've used to record with Pro-Tools, and I'm VERY impressed with it.
    It takes time to “Learn” the POD and manage to tune it to the tone you like. I have been very successful with it.

I have no complaints, and I'm getting ready to buy a Line 6 Flextone 212 so I can get all the POD's tones in a combo amp.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

POD's are good for demos in my opinion. I've used one a few times and overall, they sound like a half assed imitation of a good Marshall sound but that isn't a bad thing. The other guitar player in my band makes demos with a SansAmp in conjunction with a Boss Metal Zone direct - Ugh, talk about the most mushiest garbage buzzsaw sound you've ever heard. And he thinks that sounds good! Back to the topic at hand, POD's are great for demos, are convenient, not too much money and are higher quality than other emulators such as a SansAmp etc.