Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

06.24.09 @ 01:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Friends,

I've got an early 80's 60 Watt Ampeg combo. In a search for more gain, I put hotter tubes into it. In doing so, it has become just a bit to bright and shrill. It has a Celestion Greenback in it. I'd like to find a speaker with a greater bass response. Any ideas?

thanks,

Stratogibson

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Strat, you didn't give the size of the speaker, but if there's a green back in it now I'm assuming it's a 12". Greenbacks aren't shrill sounding at all, so it's probably not the speaker, but a green back's a 25 watt speaker, and even if you have 2 of them, you're still pushing 60 watts (probably more if it's a tube amp), and that's a lot of air for a greenback, so you'll get a lot more top end than bottom.
    Ampegs are generally a very clean sounding amp, so you may need a pedal to give you more gain and bottom end. I found that an emminence 90 watt speaker sounds really good through those amps and will give you much more bottom end, while still breaking up nicely. Again you'll probably need some kind of distortion pedal for more gain though.
    Jenson low wattage speakers have nice breakup as well, and good bottom end.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I thik the above comments are quite accurate: it's not the speaker that's thin, it's the amp causing it. Some of those older Ampegs use some pretty strange tube combinations; I don't know which ones yours uses, so I can't really give you much advice on what substitutes you might try.

Here's an off-the-wall notion: if you want some more gain AND bottom end, talk to your local tech about possibly changing your EQ pots. Specifically, the bass and midrange pots. If they are 10k, switch to 25K, if 25k, try a 50k. This gives you a 'free' gain boost in those areas, but the old sounds are still there, just at different settings.

Without any further info, I can't think of what else to tell you.

Last Online

06.24.09 @ 01:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Thanks.

Here's what I've done. The amp came with, (2) 7027 power tubes, (4) 12AT7s and (1) 12AX7r tubes. I replaces the 12AT7s with 5751's, and replaced the 12AX7 with a 12AX7EH. More gain is there, no problem, screaming harmonics, great string by string sounds. Even the clean channel sounds better. There is no distortion (I prefer overdrive) pedal that can touch this thing for tone in the dirty channel.
    As for speaker, I made the switch, Eminence Beta 12 150 watts. It definitely is warmer than the Greenback was. I've still got it EQ'd heavily to the bass side. Bass almost maxed, midrange at 2 or 3, treble at 2 or 3. Christ this thing is bright.

It does sound better, but could still use a bit more bass. Great idea on the eq pots, I'll ask my amp guy about that.