Register

Thread: Fret Work

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:49 AM
    Liked 66 Times in 35 Posts

I am asking for guidance on a situation that I have:
    I bought a new Wolfgang about a year ago. It is the standard, not the special. When I played it at the store I noticed that the frets were rough along the top side of the neck. You know, where your thumb rests. I talked to the "sales rep" at the store and he told me that they had just gotten the guitar in and to give it a few days to adjust to the climate and the neck should "pop" back out. Well, I took it home and waited a few days and it did get a bit better so I put it in the case for about a week with a sponge like humidifier. After the week it was even better. Since then I have left it out of the case and the neck seems to continuosly adjust to the climate. I expect this living in Kansas but it just never seems to be smooth like it should be. So my question is this: What can I do? Is is possible to somehow file or reduce the edge of the frets without buggering up the neck? I really do not know or trust any of the guitar stores here in K.C.
    Any suggestions would be great.
    Thanks

[ November 19, 2002, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: FAN4EVER ]
    Aint life grand!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Learn to fish, and don't pay to have someone fix your guitar. Do it yourself and put the money to use somewhere else!
    http://www.stewmac.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cgi?action=SERVE&sku=1371&TZR=H&ITEM=catalog/sk u.html
    You can even save the $24 for the book and follow the guide below:
    http://guitarrage.virtualave.net/gui...levelling.html
    Learn to fish Grasshopper [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

[ November 19, 2002, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: el_jalepeno ]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by FAN4EVER:
    I bought a new Wolfgang about a year ago. It is the standard, not the special. When I played it at the store I noticed that the frets were rough along the top side of the neck. You know, where your thumb rests. I talked to the "sales rep" at the store and he told me that they had just gotten the guitar in and to give it a few days to adjust to the climate and the neck should "pop" back out. Well, I took it home and waited a few days and it did get a bit better so I put it in the case for about a week with a sponge like humidifier. After the week it was even better. Since then I have left it out of the case and the neck seems to continuosly adjust to the climate. I expect this living in Kansas but it just never seems to be smooth like it should be. So my question is this: What can I do? Is is possible to somehow file or reduce the edge of the frets without buggering up the neck? I really do not know or trust any of the guitar stores here in K.C.
    Thanks
    yes you can do it but to do it well you need a leveling block, your not leveling the tops though just the sides that is called dressing, the part that is sticking out too far is called the Tang,
    here is a quick try method and be careful, take a fine grit foam sanding block and sand the side of the frets along the neck not across, go very lightly and hold your blaock at about a 45 deg angle sometimes that will take care of it, *if* you go to hard and too long you will cause scallops between the frets so go very lightly then when you are donme use 0000 steel wool the same way along (up and down) the neck.

If that does not do it then you need to buy a leveling block\file they come in 2 sizes one is 4 inch and the other is 8" I think anyway get the small one from stewmac and do the same thing you did with the sanding block this file is big enough to where it just rides on the tangs and won't touch the wood till you have filed down the tangs enough then you stop it's kinda fool proof you really can't files scallops with it, after that you use the fine sanding block very lightly then the stell wool and you should be done.
    any questions email me mail@rolsguitars.com or call me 480-329-3874 I'll talk ya through it.
    and there is no charge for that I'd be glad to help.
    Rol.
    dam that salesman in me just keeps popping up.
    If that does not work

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Last Online

Thanks for the words of wisdom guys. Will let you know if I do it and how it turns out.
    [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Aint life grand!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks
    DO NOT try to fix the frets yourself if you have to ask about how to do it.
    If Rols is willing to help as you go along take him up on his offer!
    If you screw up a fret by filing wrong, too much, or misleveling you can't go back and do it over.
    Also if you screw up 1 fret you'll affect
    the frets around it.
    Like I said, if you're going to attemp to do it yourself get the proper tools, contact Rols and get all the advice you can before you begin.

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Last Online

Tribb,
    After reading the links that el_jalepeno gave me, and the advise of Rolls, it is only the Tangs that are giving me a problem. I do not have a problem with the leveling. Everything on top of the fret board is perfect. I just catch my thumb on the edge of the neck. I agree that I should not try to level.
    Thanks for the adv.
    Aint life grand!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Tribb,
    After reading the links that el_jalepeno gave me, and the advise of Rolls, it is only the Tangs that are giving me a problem. I do not have a problem with the leveling. Everything on top of the fret board is perfect. I just catch my thumb on the edge of the neck. I agree that I should not try to level.
    Thanks for the adv.
    Hey man, where here for 'ya