Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

06.24.09 @ 01:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Ladies and Gentlemen.

Let me begin with an admission. I am a tone snob. I believe that vintage/boutique gear can not be beat for pure tone. Tube tone, Les Paul tones, Blackface tones, plexi tone, Mesa tone/Budda tone, etc. For years I've believed that there is no excuse for solid state gear, it was sacrelige. That said, I was wrong.

My counterpart guitar player in our band brought to practice a POD today. He too is a tone snob, and it has been hard for him to accept this new piece of electronica. Well, he's hooked an a/b switch between his vintage guitars/effects boxes/POD and sweet Budda amp. Now he can his amp clean, run his sweet effects, run his amp's incredible dirty channel, and run with the POD too. He can have a pretty convincing version of 20 sweet amps in an instant, or, with the flick of a foot pedal, be right back in tone snob territory.

Let it be known from this day forward, that I will no longer look down my nose to emulation. In fact, I recommend everyone test a POD out before you buy a new amp, so that you can determine whether or not you like that particular amp. It may not be perfect, but that sounded like a Mesa to me, and it sounded pretty close to my Blackface Fender Bandmaster, and the Soldano with the gain cranked sounded pretty close to me.

Props to the POD.

I'd of course prefer to have a room full of amplifiers, and a $2000 Bradshaw unit to integrate them all with my vintage effects, but I don't have the cash, the time or the roadies to haul it.
    You know the best tone I ever had was with that little bandmaster cranked to 10. Edward Van Halen, 1980, Guitar Player Magazine.

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

turn off the speaker emulation and try it through the amp that way.
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Top Of The World
    Last Online

09.26.12 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by twonabomber:
    turn off the speaker emulation and try it through the amp that way.<hr></blockquote>

That's how I run mine. I don't really care for the direct recording side of the Pod...to me, it just doesn't sound right, but it is a kick ass pre-amp. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought a POD recently and love the way it sounds for direct recording and practicing on running direct to my mixing board. I haven't found a way to make it sound great running to my amp yet, but I'm working on it. I'm happy with the way it sounds though running direct. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    And beyond the horizon.... a sound was heard.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've never turned off the speaker emulation and run it through my amp. I'll have to give it a try and see what happens. I'll let you guys know what I think. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    And beyond the horizon.... a sound was heard.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If it's a POD 2.0, you can select the type of setup you are using, ie into front end of combo, head/cab, into power amp, etc. Just check the manual for which letter (A B C or D) matches your setup. And as was said above, turn off the 'AIR' switch.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I didn't like the way mine sounded when I ran it through the power amp section of my Marshall head.
    I found that to sound right, it should be running through a "power amp", whether marshall or any other type, but one designed as a power amp only.
    Then you have to reduce the setting, like reverb, etc, cause the amp will amplify them as well and make it sound too spacey and weak. It'll wind up sounding like you should be playing elevator music with it. You know, that irritating shit, that people think is artsy, but is just some plinks and plunks with reverb washing over everything.
    The solid state power amps in the Flextone heads and combos are designed to amplify and buffer the preamps properly, so no matter what setting you make to the pod, if you're running it through a powerful tube output amp you'll have to make more adjustments to it than if you were running it through a linear solid state power amp.
    As I said before though, for headphones they're great.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by tribb:
    I didn't like the way mine sounded when I ran it through the power amp section of my Marshall head.
    I found that to sound right, it should be running through a "power amp", whether marshall or any other type, but one designed as a power amp only.
    Then you have to reduce the setting, like reverb, etc, cause the amp will amplify them as well and make it sound too spacey and weak. It'll wind up sounding like you should be playing elevator music with it. You know, that irritating shit, that people think is artsy, but is just some plinks and plunks with reverb washing over everything.
    The solid state power amps in the Flextone heads and combos are designed to amplify and buffer the preamps properly, so no matter what setting you make to the pod, if you're running it through a powerful tube output amp you'll have to make more adjustments to it than if you were running it through a linear solid state power amp.
    As I said before though, for headphones they're great.
    <hr></blockquote>

I have a J-Station, and I agree that like the POD it works better with "non guitar amp" power amp. A stand alone power amp simply amplifies the modeling signal. When I've run it through the power section of my 5150 it just sounded like a 5150 with an outboard EQ. Through my small PA it sounded better and got the true sound of the unit out, and through a stereo power amp then into two 2x12 cabs it sounded fantastic. Actually to me the stereo setup with the J-Station sounded better than any huge stereo preamp rack system that I've played through.