Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Live Music Capital of the World" Austin, Texas!
    Favorite VH Album

5150 Baby!
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

07.15.12 @ 04:57 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Since all of the Michael Jackson shows on TV, I got out my MJ Greatest Hits and have been listening to "Beat It".

Do you guys think that perhaps that's the best solo Ed's got on record? I sure would like to hear the second solo Ed recorded for the song.

I'll never forget when that video came out I was laying on the couch watching MTV and "Beat It" came on and I heard the solo and got up and said "No Fucking Way, that's Eddie...on a MJ tune...no f-ing way..."

Anyway, that's a bad-ass solo. I sure would have like to see the video of Eddie playing it with Michael at the Jackson's Dallas show.

Dan

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I wouldn't call it his best solo. A good solo, yes. It was too wierd in a "fish out of water" kind of way. The solo was well constructed and exicuted and was textbook Eddie.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

MAN! His tone alone on that monster is severely wicked!!!

I totally agree, it is by far one of the best solos Edward has ever laid down (GRANTED THERE ARE A SHITLOAD TO CHOOSE FROM!). I also believe it's hands down the best fuckin guest spot by a Guitarist, ever.

That opening reverse dive, sounds just like a fucking chain saw. And then those crystalline arpeggios and fuckin too cool slurs. But I'd have to say, that the way that reverse dive sounds like a chainsaw, floors me every fuckin time. I could listen to that over and over again and never quite replicate that animal.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I never thought of that opening reverse dive bomb as a chain saw but your right it does sound like that. What I think is crazy is that Ed never got paid for it. Well it wasn't like he needed the money but man he was a busy guy back than and took the time to do that great solo. I also love that short Back to the Future bit he did. Did he ever get money for that one? As short as that solo is it has such a great amount of spontaneity like he's just going crazy. Eds' spontaneity early on is a major reason why I love his early stuff more than his more structured music later.
    "When I found the guitar, I refused to take lessons. This was my <br />real emotional release, and I didn't want to be taught how to <br />approach the instrument." Eddie Van Halen<br /><br />"While I believe our band will be most triumphant, the truth is Wyld Stallions will never be a super band until we get Eddie Van Halen on guitar." Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

is there any clips or footage to dl where eddie appears on beat it live
    rock

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

That solo stuck out like a VERY sore thumb. Not a good mix of styles there...

Eruption
    Last Online

08.02.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

...one of the best solo's I ever heard !!!...when i hear a tune from thriller i swear that swanky clean guitar sound in billy jean sounds like ed also...and the big keyboard sounds like 1984 !!!....the guy has to be getting royalties from thriller

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

all
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hmm... funny, eddie vh, slash and steve stevens don´t get any royalties from MJ... they´ve never paid for it lol...

now what i´ve heard is that ed played this solo in his studio... he had recorded some solos and then cut it into pieces, the best pieces he had paste together and that was it... listen to it, than you can hear the fade ins when it´s cut...

i have some quotes from them:

eddie van halen about beat it:

Rock guitarist Eddie Van Halen was interviewed by Rolling Stone magazine in 1984. In the interview, he explained why he didn't ask for any royalties over the sales of Beat it, the song on which he plays a guitar solo. "I did it as a favor. I didn't want anything. Maybe Michael will give me dance lessons someday. I was a complete fool, according to the rest of the band [Van Halen], our manager and everybody else. I was not used. I knew what I was doing. I don't do something unless I want to do it."

and heres a quote from steve lukather, eds best friend lol, he plays the rythm guitar on this one:

Steve Lukather: "Quincy Jones and Michael took a skeleton version of Beat it up to Eddie Van Halen's place as they wanted him to solo over the verse section. However, he played over a section that had more chord changes. So to fit his solo to where it went in the song, they had to cut the tape which took a lot of time to synchronise together."
    "After they had managed this, Jeff Porcaro and me were called in to bind Eddie's solo and some haphazard percussion which was a major headache. Initially, we rocked it out as Eddie had played a good solo but Quincy thought it too tough. So I had to reduce the distorted guitar sound and this is what was released. It was a huge R&B/rock success for us all really and helped pave the way for the bands of today that fuse these styles."

BTW: if someone is interested, on www.stevelukather.net is an interview with ed. lukather interviews ed...

enjoy [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "Who are you tryin' to get crazy with, ese? Don't you know I'm loco?" - Hansel, Zoolander. <br /><br />"You're talking loco and I like it!" - Hansel, Zoolander.<br /><br />"Sting. Sting would be another person who's a hero. The music he's created over the years, I don't really listen to it, but the fact that he's making it, I respect that."<br />Hansel, Zoolander

Sinner's Swing! chewbaccamonkeylunch's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning and Balance (Tie)
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights (LWAN)
    Last Online

02.16.16 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by austxdan:

Anyway, that's a bad-ass solo. I sure would have like to see the video of Eddie playing it with Michael at the Jackson's Dallas show.

Dan
    Shit man, I was there!
    The trashman was my hero.......
    -Seenbad

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by gravedigger:
    hmm... funny, eddie vh, slash and steve stevens don´t get any royalties from MJ... they´ve never paid for it lol...

now what i´ve heard is that ed played this solo in his studio... he had recorded some solos and then cut it into pieces, the best pieces he had paste together and that was it... listen to it, than you can hear the fade ins when it´s cut...

i have some quotes from them:

eddie van halen about beat it:

Rock guitarist Eddie Van Halen was interviewed by Rolling Stone magazine in 1984. In the interview, he explained why he didn't ask for any royalties over the sales of Beat it, the song on which he plays a guitar solo. "I did it as a favor. I didn't want anything. Maybe Michael will give me dance lessons someday. I was a complete fool, according to the rest of the band [Van Halen], our manager and everybody else. I was not used. I knew what I was doing. I don't do something unless I want to do it."

and heres a quote from steve lukather, eds best friend lol, he plays the rythm guitar on this one:

Steve Lukather: "Quincy Jones and Michael took a skeleton version of Beat it up to Eddie Van Halen's place as they wanted him to solo over the verse section. However, he played over a section that had more chord changes. So to fit his solo to where it went in the song, they had to cut the tape which took a lot of time to synchronise together."
    "After they had managed this, Jeff Porcaro and me were called in to bind Eddie's solo and some haphazard percussion which was a major headache. Initially, we rocked it out as Eddie had played a good solo but Quincy thought it too tough. So I had to reduce the distorted guitar sound and this is what was released. It was a huge R&B/rock success for us all really and helped pave the way for the bands of today that fuse these styles."

BTW: if someone is interested, on www.stevelukather.net is an interview with ed. lukather interviews ed...

enjoy [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    OK I my memnory must be shit, didn't I read an interview where Ed said Quincy called him in the midle of a tour and asked him to come to a studio in LA and record a solo for a MJ song, Ed said he would but only if they got an old Marshall for him to do it thru ? anyone remember this ??? or is my old age kicking in ?
    Rol.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.27.07 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I remember that it was either done during an extended break and that all the other band members were off doing other non-music crap, something like "Dave was on safari or something". So he couldn't talk to anyone to make sure they were cool with it.

Also, that's the first time I ever heard that the Beat It solo was spliced together, I knew that Jump was but not Beat It. Learn something new every day! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

all
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by willy4pres:
    I remember that it was either done during an extended break and that all the other band members were off doing other non-music crap, something like "Dave was on safari or something". So he couldn't talk to anyone to make sure they were cool with it.

Also, that's the first time I ever heard that the Beat It solo was spliced together, I knew that Jump was but not Beat It. Learn something new every day! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    hmm, yeah, on jump he really had cut the whole thing lol.. on beat it i think he cuts it together from 2 different solos, but i´m not that sure... anyways, doesn´t matters if he had cut some things together, it sounded always like hot in hell...

[ February 27, 2003, 04:46 AM: Message edited by: gravedigger ]
    "Who are you tryin' to get crazy with, ese? Don't you know I'm loco?" - Hansel, Zoolander. <br /><br />"You're talking loco and I like it!" - Hansel, Zoolander.<br /><br />"Sting. Sting would be another person who's a hero. The music he's created over the years, I don't really listen to it, but the fact that he's making it, I respect that."<br />Hansel, Zoolander

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Awesome solo, truly scorching:

Beat It Solo

[ March 11, 2003, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: Majestic ]

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

So Hard . . .
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is maybe the only song that I like from MJ [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img]
    EVH: Definitely. Playing guitar was my sanctuary. It was the one place I could go to if I got fucked around by a girlfriend, or anyone else, for that matter. It still is. If there’s something I can’t deal with, I can just spend hours playing. It’s a God-given gift – I certainly don’t know where the ideas come from. They’re obviously given to you, and you have to keep your fingers moving and your mind quiet. I try my best to not think about thinking, so I can just let it flow. Because when I start thinking, forget it. <br />So....why he isn't playing guitar ? ? ?

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Last Online

01.14.12 @ 10:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i downloaded a live version of MJ performing "Beat It" with Ed guest appearing on stage with him circa '84....either Ed couldn't hear anything out of the monitors or, let's go out on a limb here, had been drinkin' heavily but the result was he was a few bars late starting the solo...You can hear MJ trying to cue him..."Eddie...EDDIE...EDDIE!!!" it is quite hilarious but not one of Ed's better moments live.

On a sober note, I downloaded an Ed solo performance from the Balance tour off Erruption.com when Ed was "sober" and he was so on it was scary....lightening fast and error-free, incredible difference in his playing sober vs buzzed..