Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Last Online

01.14.12 @ 10:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Now granted I know JP was never technically on the same playing ground as EVH (not that that has anything to do with his ability to write great songs)but I recently listened to him attempting to play the Heartbreaker break solo with the Black Crowes and it was embarassing...I mean the live playing on 'The Song Remains the Same' album is quite solid.......it is too bad he has let himself go like that...I guess I'm just disapointed because Jimmy Page was one of the guys I used to spend hours/days trying to nail his stuff...

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Can\'t Get This Stuff No More
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I actually didn't become a Van Halen fan til around 1994 or 1995 and before that, I was ALL Led Zeppelin. Jimmy Page was the reason why I learned to play guitar... that was until I heard "Somebody Get Me A Doctor" on the radio one day and thought it was David Lee Roth. I went to the store and looked in the DLR rack and couldn't find the CD with a title that resembled the song I heard on the radio. The idea then hit me that it might be a Van Halen song so I checked the VH rack and found it on Van Halen II. After I heard that album I was totally influenced by EVH and was no longer impressed by anything Page did. I guess he's kind of known as being this sloppy blues player but regardless of that, it is a shame that 40 years later the guy can't play a solo he played back in 1969. Who knows? Is it really that much of a stretch for someone in their 50's to play a guitar? Maybe he's got arthritis?

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yah, pagey always was embarassing to watch play live. i cringe every time i see a tape.

however, he is a brilliant musician, especially with the other 3 zep guys behind him. i listen to zep all the time, and you can listen to them on so many levels. if you focus on each musician, theres a whole ton of stuff happened with each guy. and then of course theres pagey, man, i consider his musicianship in zep on par with genious.

great great stuff.

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I still can't believe he played with Puff daddy. That shit sent me through the roof. Bonham probably rolled over in his grave.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We had a late night show out here run by a guy called Andrew Denton.
    One night he had Page and Plant on as guests and asked them to play which they did.
    During the song (which I can't remember) Page drooled on himself!
    We were taping it so went back to have a second look and there it was! He got a load of spit on his lip and allowed it to hang off. The end result was that he finished the song with a 'silver string' draped between his mouth and his shirt just above the guitar.
    The thing is, when you watched the video it was apparent that he did it on purpose! Pretty odd stage act.
    He didn't seem drunk or stoned when he was being interviewed so I don't know why he did it. [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]
    If you saw him on the Atlantic reunion, he fucked up the lead to Heartbreaker and the blamed the sound guy in an interview later claiming he "should be strung up by the balls".
    It wasn't the sound it was his shitty playing!

[ December 31, 2002, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: sean112 ]
    The rumor: W.D.F.A-We Don't Fuck Around.<br />The truth: W.D.F.A-We Disregard Fans Abundently

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 965 Times in 386 Posts

didn't someone say he played like he had a broken hand? [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img]

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

11.12.14 @ 04:07 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I can't speak too much for his current stuff because I haven't heard much of it. I saw him on the Page/Plant tour back in 95(?) and he did a pretty great job.

You have to remember that he's a much more versatile player that what he does in his Zeppelin stuff. During the 60s he was the premier studio guitarist. If I recall correctly he played on just about everything from the Kinks to the Everly Brothers and even the Who. He could play so many styles so well that he was THE guy for studio work. It'd be interesting to see a list of what he played on back then - anyone have such a list?

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Currently - Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.28.12 @ 10:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by sean112:
    One night he had Page and Plant on as guests and asked them to play which they did.
    We were taping it so went back to have a second look and there it was! He got a load of spit on his lip and allowed it to hang off. The end result was that he finished the song with a 'silver string' draped between his mouth and his shirt just above the guitar.
    The thing is, when you watched the video it was apparent that he did it on purpose! Pretty odd stage act.
    He didn't seem drunk or stoned when he was being interviewed so I don't know why he did it. [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]
    If you saw him on the Atlantic reunion, he fucked up the lead to Heartbreaker and the blamed the sound guy in an interview later claiming he "should be strung up by the balls".
    You beat me to it. I was just going to say that when we went to see Page & Plant live at Wembley arena (a good few years back) that Page was dribbling on the stage. It just looked so embarassing !

We couldn't believe it ! We couldn't take our eyes off these constant silver strings that kept emerging from his mouth and hitting the floor.

I can't remember if he played well or not. All I can remember from that concert is Page drooling (oh, and my mate's wife to be falling asleep on my lap with face in my groin, but that's another story). Maybe that's why he drools. To take your attention away from the fact that he's playing live so badly ???

[img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]
    "<i>You can please <b>some</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time,<br />And <b>all</b> of the people <b>some</b> of the time,<br />But you can't please <b>all</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time !</i>"<br /><br />(was Dave5150 on <b><i>The Pleasure Dome</i></b>)<br /><br />Check out some of my music at: <a href="http://www.dave5150.com" target="_blank">www.dave5150.com</a>

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Originally posted by JMJ:
    didn't someone say he played like he had a broken hand? [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img]

JMJ
    That was me!
    Your favorite band sucks.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by mondola:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by sean112:
    You beat me to it. I was just going to say that when we went to see Page & Plant live at Wembley arena (a good few years back) that Page was dribbling on the stage. It just looked so embarassing !

We couldn't believe it ! We couldn't take our eyes off these constant silver strings that kept emerging from his mouth and hitting the floor.

I can't remember if he played well or not. All I can remember from that concert is Page drooling (oh, and my mate's wife to be falling asleep on my lap with face in my groin, but that's another story). Maybe that's why he drools. To take your attention away from the fact that he's playing live so badly ???

[img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]
    </font>[/QUOTE]Damn!
    If it was a one off thing, you could excuse it by saying he had a cold or something, but my story plus your story equals YUK! [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]
    The rumor: W.D.F.A-We Don't Fuck Around.<br />The truth: W.D.F.A-We Disregard Fans Abundently