Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For getting the VH Marshall sound! I am looking to get a Budda Super Drive cause of the price! I know some of these are hard to find and expensive so there are not many people that have played them but I thought I’d ask anyway. I did look at the Har-Central reviews.
    Budda Super Drive, Mojave PeaceMaker, Roccaforte, Blockhead and Cage. Others?? So far as what I have heard the Mojave has the best VH tone (clips on their website sound great) but I have yet to hear someone really dial in the “Brown Sound” on a Budda. If the Mojave was not so expensive I might get it but the Budda comes close also and sounds good at lower volumes. Do ya think the Budda sounds about as good as the Mojave as far as getting VH tone?

Just for fun opinions:

Don't take out a mortgage---------Get a Budda
    Money burning hole in wallet------Get a Mojave
    "When I found the guitar, I refused to take lessons. This was my <br />real emotional release, and I didn't want to be taught how to <br />approach the instrument." Eddie Van Halen<br /><br />"While I believe our band will be most triumphant, the truth is Wyld Stallions will never be a super band until we get Eddie Van Halen on guitar." Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The reason you haven't heard a really dialed in brown sound from a Budda is because the clips out there are from owners who aren't trying to nail the tone exactly but that tone is in there and the players individuality shines through as well. The Peacemaker is considered the best by so many because the sound clips were recorded by the builder of the amp and the amp was set up and dialed in with the exact purpose of nailing the old sound. It's a great amp but I've owned a Budda and played several. The tone is in these amps, its there.

I'm by no means saying the Peacemaker doesn't do that sound but the Budda is most importantly less expensive and it has a master volume, effects loop, and 2 channels.

They're both great amps but to me the Budda has that sound and then some. They are to me the best sounding amps on the market. That said, the Peacemaker is also a great amp and obviously has the old sound. To me the Budda is the amp I'd choose but ymmv.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

02.19.08 @ 12:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recommend the Mojave PeaceMaker. If you are looking for the quintessential old VH sound, look no further. I should alsso mention that the amp is capable of *many* other great tones besides old VH. I used it to make these clips:

Mean Street
    Beautiful Girls
    You're No Good
    Bottoms Up!
    Unchained

I'm sorry to keep posting these links, but I'd like you to hear these if you haven't heard them as many think they are better than the Mojave web site clips. Apologies to the folks who have heard (and seen!) me post links to my clips in other threads here before.

Anyway, the amp *really* nails the VH sound (especially VHII to my ears - Ed's best tone IMO) and I've played through many Budda's and to my ears you will not nail the tone with them YMMV, of course. Good luck with your choice...

Steve

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by DuffHalen:
    For getting the VH Marshall sound! I am looking to get a Budda Super Drive cause of the price! I know some of these are hard to find and expensive so there are not many people that have played them but I thought I’d ask anyway. I did look at the Har-Central reviews.
    Budda Super Drive, Mojave PeaceMaker, Roccaforte, Blockhead and Cage. Others?? So far as what I have heard the Mojave has the best VH tone (clips on their website sound great) but I have yet to hear someone really dial in the “Brown Sound” on a Budda. If the Mojave was not so expensive I might get it but the Budda comes close also and sounds good at lower volumes. Do ya think the Budda sounds about as good as the Mojave as far as getting VH tone?

Just for fun opinions:

I think there are a lot of things that won't cost you $2500 out there, try www.splawnguitars.com and I'm with larryj on the Budda too I just keep putting of buying either cause I'm always curious and trying just about anything that comes along
    there is a new amp pon the market from www.rhinoamps.com called the "Blackstar" it's Malmsteens sig amp it has a built in attenuator and the owner claims it is very versitile and will nail the old VH tone, no master just 1 vol and the attenuator and it's $850 new not $2500
    and can be returned I will be buying it in the next week or so.
    Rol.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

budda all the way if under a grand!!! ozzie at blockhead is a super guy and will talk your ears off....and doug at rocaforte is a nice guy also...both-blockhead&rocaforte are super amps for the old brown sound and top hat-emplexadora also-brians very takable also---in all nice guys!!! CHECK EBAY---When spending a lot of money on ebay for a amp i usually allways email so i can talk to the seller....sooner or later there will be a deal!!just have to be patient

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by rolsguitars:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by DuffHalen:

Just for fun opinions:

I think there are a lot of things that won't cost you $2500 out there, try www.splawnguitars.com and I'm with larryj on the Budda too I just keep putting of buying either cause I'm always curious and trying just about anything that comes along
    there is a new amp pon the market from www.rhinoamps.com called the "Blackstar" it's Malmsteens sig amp it has a built in attenuator and the owner claims it is very versitile and will nail the old VH tone, no master just 1 vol and the attenuator and it's $850 new not $2500
    and can be returned I will be buying it in the next week or so.
    Rol.
    </font>[/QUOTE]You might want to check out this rhino dealer. He is selling the black star new for $575 with the same 5 day return policy as the factory direct site. I emailed him and he is a rhino dealer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=10171

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think Steve's soundclips pretty much speak for themselves. I think that's about as close as any human should ever want to get to that tone...I mean...that's it!

Now, having said that, I own a Budda. I've been playing (poorly ) for the better part of two decades now, so I've plugged into my fair share of amps. The Budda Superdrive is my favorite, so far. There are several that I would like to hear that I haven't yet...Naylor, Cage, and Roccaforte among them.

A Superdrive 80 can be had new for under $1200. Yes it's a PCB amp, but it's made with quality parts and designed by a guy who really, *really* knows his shit. A Peacemaker is what, $2400...$2500? If the tone speaks to you, then it's up to you to decide if it is worth that price. I have yet to hear any clips of it that *aren't* brown sound clips. Maybe there are other good tones in there...maybe there aren't? I simply don't know.

What I do know about the Budda is that in addition to doing a very good brown sound type of tone, it has the same kind of versatility and timelessness to it that an old Marshall has. Plug in a strat and you get great chimy sounds, clean or semi-dirty...just like a strat should sound. Crank it up and roll down the tone control for EJ tones. Plug in a Gibson and it's just fat as all hell. No OD pedals, no HotPlate, no variac, no special pickups or any of that silly shit...just a good solid amp with TONE.
    But

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by ratter:
    I think Steve's soundclips pretty much speak for themselves. I think that's about as close as any human should ever want to get to that tone...I mean...that's it!
    Thanks, bro! Appreciate the comments on the tones.

I just wanted to say that I *very* much appreciate the Budda amps I have played. They are great amps with a variety of tones dependent on the guitars and effects you use them with. My point was that, to me, the Budda amps I've played do not get the VH tone I get out of the PeaceMaker. Of course, you may get close enough with a number of amps that it doesn't matter to you. I wanted to get as close as possible, I had the cash, so I got the PeaceMaker. I must also point out, that like Buddas, etc. the PeaceMaker is no one trick pony. Since you have the ability to mix Bass and Treble volume together you can get anything from Eric Johnson-like tones to Slipknot (if you have the right guitar). It is a killer amp that, unfortunately, has been pidgeon-holed as the "Roth-era VH amp"...

YMMV

Steve

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by ratter:

Now, having said that, I own a Budda. I've been playing (poorly ) for the better part of two decades now, so I've plugged into my fair share of amps. The Budda Superdrive is my favorite, so far. There are several that I would like to hear that I haven't yet...Naylor, Cage, and Roccaforte among them.

A Superdrive 80 can be had new for under $1200. Yes it's a PCB amp, but it's made with quality parts and designed by a guy who really, *really* knows his shit. A Peacemaker is what, $2400...$2500? If the tone speaks to you, then it's up to you to decide if it is worth that price. I have yet to hear any clips of it that *aren't* brown sound clips. Maybe there are other good tones in there...maybe there aren't? I simply don't know.

What I do know about the Budda is that in addition to doing a very good brown sound type of tone, it has the same kind of versatility and timelessness to it that an old Marshall has. Plug in a strat and you get great chimy sounds, clean or semi-dirty...just like a strat should sound. Crank it up and roll down the tone control for EJ tones. Plug in a Gibson and it's just fat as all hell. No OD pedals, no HotPlate, no variac, no special pickups or any of that silly shit...just a good solid amp with TONE.
    But
    Hey LarryJ post that Meanstreet Clip with your $800 Marshall
    Rol.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:17 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Originally posted by sah5150:
    I'm sorry to keep posting these links, but I'd like you to hear these if you haven't heard them as many think they are better than the Mojave web site clips. Apologies to the folks who have heard (and seen!) me post links to my clips in other threads here before.
    You have the best sound clips of anyone on any board.

Stop apologizing and start posting more clips.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Majestic:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by sah5150:
    You have the best sound clips of anyone on any board.

Stop apologizing and start posting more clips.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Wow... thanks, man! I'll be posting more as soon as I finish my 6 song original instrumental EP. All done with the PeaceMaker. It'll be a few more months before I'm finished though...

Steve

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey LarryJ post that Meanstreet Clip with your $800 Marshall
    Rol.
    Rol-

Why does it matter to you how much someone spends on an amp? I bought the PeaceMaker for my own reasons, not because a decent VH tone was not achievable for less money. The PeaceMaker is hand built, point to point wired, and built like a tank. The builder will service mine for nothing for the life of the amp - all I need to pay for is parts. To me, the amp is worth the money for the range of tones that can be achieved and the incredible build quality.

Of course, I'm not suprised that someone can get a good VH sound with an $800 dollar Marshall. The ability to get a good VH tone is only a small part of the reason I chose to buy a PeaceMaker.

You can wink all you want about $800 dollar Marshalls - it matters little to me since my reasons for buying the PeaceMaker were quite a bit more involved than trying to make accurate Meanstreet clips...

Steve

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by sah5150:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Hey LarryJ post that Meanstreet Clip with your $800 Marshall
    Rol.
    Rol-

Why does it matter to you how much someone spends on an amp? I bought the PeaceMaker for my own reasons, not because a decent VH tone was not achievable for less money. The PeaceMaker is hand built, point to point wired, and built like a tank. The builder will service mine for nothing for the life of the amp - all I need to pay for is parts. To me, the amp is worth the money for the range of tones that can be achieved and the incredible build quality.

Of course, I'm not suprised that someone can get a good VH sound with an $800 dollar Marshall. The ability to get a good VH tone is only a small part of the reason I chose to buy a PeaceMaker.

You can wink all you want about $800 dollar Marshalls - it matters little to me since my reasons for buying the PeaceMaker were quite a bit more involved than trying to make accurate Meanstreet clips...

Steve
    </font>[/QUOTE]I think rol was just pointing out that that sound could be achieved for a lot less!
    No ones chipping you for using what you're using, but you've got to admit, it costs an arm and a leg.
    $2500 is a lot of money when an $800 Marshall will get you by. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Your comment about the Meanstreet clips is a bit belittling too!

[ February 08, 2003, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: sean112 ]
    The rumor: W.D.F.A-We Don't Fuck Around.<br />The truth: W.D.F.A-We Disregard Fans Abundently

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

sah5150, I don't think Rols was saying that the cost of an amp matters in terms of tone.
    Hell, he buys a new amp every week and has been getting on my nerves for a long time. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Rols, go play with your router. [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

I don't think there is a "best amp" for every kind of music.
    That's just the average cost of a marshall.
    Every marshall and fender built in the 60's and earlier is also hand built, point to point wired, and built like a tank.
    Before 1970 just about everyone used PTP wiring because there was no other option, but it also has it's drawbacks.
    If Leo Fender, and Jim Marshall had the option of circuit boards from day one I'll bet you anything they would have used them.

Those clips aren't bad, and you appear to be a decent player, although you can't really tell by listening to a few clips that everyone and their grandmother have posted here in the last year or so.
    We've got some players on here that are killers with a guitar in their hands, regardless of what they plug into.
    I've seen guys play stuff through 150. fenders that made my jaw drop, and others that went through 4000 Mesa's that made me turn away so I wouldn't laugh out loud.
    The fact that a Peacemaker is point to point wired doesn't make it a top quality amp. It's the components used and how the work is done.
    Ask your dealer what it'll cost you if you blow an output or power transformer, even if they supply the labour.

I'm sure the Peacemaker is a top quality amp, and the fact that you said you didn't get it so you could play accurate meanstreet clips kicks my respect for your playing up about 200%.
    As I said though, I don't believe there is one amp that will do it all, and the quality of an amp doesn't make it any more versatile.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

the rhino amp head looks interseting. especially for 850.00 ,about the same for a 5150. although the music im playing may be more suited to a high gain head. [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img] are there any sound clips of the rhino?