Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: tube questions

Last Online

06.24.09 @ 01:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Brothers and Sisters,

I'm interested in putting new tubes in a Peavey Ultra. (Actually buying a spare set just in case.) On this forum, I hear about the JJ Electronics tubes. I'm pretty sure the tubes that came standard in my amp are the cheapest pieces of crap that Peavey could spec. Any advice on tube brand would be appreciated. I need 2 6l6's and 4 12ax7's.

Thanks, and good tone to you.
    You know the best tone I ever had was with that little bandmaster cranked to 10. Edward Van Halen, 1980, Guitar Player Magazine.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Strato, I use tesla preamp tubes which are made by JJ, and they are good tubes. You mught want to try ECC-83's, which are a 12AX7 with a little more top end. I've substituted them for 12ax7's for a long time and I think they're great. There are no adjustments to be done, just pop them in. JJ manufactures 6L6's as well, but I tend to use groove Tubes for my out put tubes because they're always well matched and I think the extra few dollars for groove tubes is worth it.
    Good luck on whatever you choose.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'll second Tribb's reply on using Groove Tubes for the 6l6's, but there are various forms of them. 6L6GC/R, 6L6GC/W, 6L6WXT, etc....I suggest you go to their website www.groovetubes.com (I think) and see what their characteristics are.

For me, preamp tubes aren't quite as big a deal. I have tried everything from my old RCA's to the latest Groove Tubes, and they all sound fine in my amp, but as for which ones were best, well, that was quite subjective. Basically, what I look for in my preamp tubes are ones that are not prone to microphonics. Since I have a 5150, which is gonna have a lot of gain no matter WHAT tubes you use in it (assuming they work, of course [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]) I try to find the quietest ones.

I have tried 12AT7's, 12AU7's, etc., as well as many variations of 12AX7's. The biggest changes for me came when swapping the FIRST and LAST tubes; the first being the one that pumps your guitar signal up first, and the last essentially driving the signal into the power section.

Whatever you find, I would have the amp biased for whatever power tubes you get, and if you stick to replacing them with the exact same type, you shouldn't need to rebias every time.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Last Online

06.24.09 @ 01:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

thanks, jj ecc83's are on the way. I'm going with the jj 6l6's too. Thanks for your input. Why can't guitar players just be happy with their sound?
    You know the best tone I ever had was with that little bandmaster cranked to 10. Edward Van Halen, 1980, Guitar Player Magazine.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stratogibson:
    thanks, jj ecc83's are on the way. I'm going with the jj 6l6's too. Thanks for your input. Why can't guitar players just be happy with their sound?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As guitarists, we have a LOT of variables that other instrumentalists don't have to worry about. We are one of a handful of instruments that can be polyphonic AND monophonic; we have to sound good playing harmony, rhythm, and melody. We have instruments that have a zillion things that can affect the sound. We have cables, amps, effects, speakers, rooms, etc, to deal with.

We also have perhaps more DIRECT control over our sound than any other instrument. A piano can make the same sound on a note no matter who hits it. We have picks, angles, velocities, etc that alter that. We have to make more compromises with more things than other players do. Synthesists can program a sound and have it be the same forever. We can play through the same stuff set the same way every day, yet sound different, sometimes through no control of our own.

Plus, the struggle to achieve the perfect sound helps inspire us to always check out new gear, which forces a certain evolution in both the equipment AND our playing styles. Not to mention the effects it all has on our peers, who also change with the ebb and flow of things. In short, we are playing an unstable instrument--it's constantly in a state of flux.

And, to top it all off, while searching for new sounds, we always have a need to maintain the heritage of the instrument's past. The yin/yang thing goes on forever here.

Last but not least, I think we've all gone mad! MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

AVH, sounds like you've been standing a little too close to your speakers..lol
    Strato, keep in mind that we're guitar players. We're never happy with anything.
    Just like the old saying goes: how many guitarists does it take to change a light bulb?
    12. One to change the bulb, and 11 to stand around saying they could have done it better.
    [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tribb:

AVH, sounds like you've been standing a little too close to your speakers..lol

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WHAT??? I CAN'T HEAR YA!!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I was just trying to give the 'scientific' reasoning behind our collective neurosis. But your way of saying it is far more efficient. However, I DO believe that our dissatisfaction is a key to our creativity. I always wondered that if I WAS happy with my sound, I might just give up the chase.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

how true ! me and tribb have been disscussing my sound and tube choice for days !! funny thing is now im kinda nervous that the amp tech actually does what i specifecly requested and that it doesnt take months to get my amp back ! im gonna get through this !!!!! i am ! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ABV, you know it's funny, but I was thinking the exact same thing about our sound. Once you reach a point where you're absolutely happy, and have to stop looking it kind of takes the fun out of it and maybe it's time to put the guitar down.
    But then again you and I know both know we'll never be completely happy cause some variable always comes along to stir things up.
    Don't worry Rick. Once he gets your amp tubed and biased you think you'll be satisfied right. Wrong. The tube's will sound fine but watch how long it takes you to start the hunt for the "ultimate" speaker.
    I can hear the gears grinding already.
    Welcome to the club. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]