Favorite VH Song

"They\'re all hit singles, man" - DLR
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

An editorial from Ultimate-Guitar.com

Solos... Who Killed It?
    - by Benjamin Seet
    I read the article on true metal and thought that i would write how i feel about it. Look at today's music, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit and those gothic death metal bands around nowadays. It all started in the 90's. But how come music in the 80's with guitar heroes like Eddie Van Halen and Zakk Wylde can evolve in a period of a decade to nobodies like Tom Delonge of Blink and the rest that belong to this category.

Now i can understand why people say Nirvana killed rock music. They were the bridge between music from the 80's to music now. Why? the answer lies in one word....solos. Kurt Cobain's solos were structrually simple sharply contrasting the crazy shredding and complex solos of people like EVH, Satriani, Hendrix etc.

But haven't solos been the thing that wow crowds at concerts and have inspired many to pick up the guitar? Haven't solos been the one that made ordinary people erect altars in their rooms worshipping their personal guitar gods? Why have solos lost their place in modern music and in people's hearts. Who actually caused the downfall of solos which some people believe separate the kids from the big guys?

The answer doesn't lie in Nirvana, my friends. The answer lies in people none other than Steve Vai, EVH and the like. Before you start showing me the finger for such and accusation to such great guitarists let me tell you why. Solos are meant to carry emotion, to convey the mood of the song. Solos basically say "you don't know what the lyrics are talking about?? hell, listen to the solo and you should know what we're saying." Solos are basically what carries the gist of the song in a musical way.

Why do people abandon and ignore solos nowadays, both fans and musicians alike? Solos have lost their flavour. Solos are like a body without a soul. Sure, you can shred real good, whiz around the fretboard before i can say "what the fuck!". But people like steve vai and zakk wylde etc. focus too much on the technical aspect on soloing and ignore the emotional aspect of it. Musicians like them see soloing as a platform to show off. So much so as fans start to lose interest in it.

But a few talented musicians can carry the mood of the song with their solos like Satriani so much so as he doesn't need lyrics! I believe that the truly talented guitarist have the ability to breathe the breath of life into their solos. So much so that when people listen to it they can say ," hmm..this solo sounds kinds angry" or sad, or happy for that matter. Sure, i can follow the Steve Vai 5 hour practice routine or be an effects bastard like Tom Morello and have sounds coming from an x-wing from Star Wars.

But how many of us can be like an expert painter, one who makes the painting come alive. How many of us can give our solos faces, emotions so that when people listen to it they're not listening to some mindless shredding but a solo which leaves emotions in them. That's one reason i'm not a shredder, every note has to carry a certain feeling with it. Its not easy to breathe emotion into your solo, but all of us are still getting there, including me...
    ------------------------

Bullshit...

EVH??? MINDLESS SHREDDING! He was every bit as good of a rhythm player as he was lead, and there couldn't have been enough emotion in EVH and Vai's playing. But that's not the subject.

This guy is just another one of those nu-metal followers that doesn't believe that the high performance guitar solo is "cool anymore". Plenty of "shredders" put their heart and soul into their solos...Vai, Van Halen, Satch, Lynch, and countless more. This reminds me of an interview I read in Guitar World with the guitarist of Linkin Park where he pretty much said.."guitar solos? no one's doing that 80's shit anymore". But he didn't atleast give a legit reason as to why...something along the lines of maybe he got his point across in his rhythm playing? But of course he doesn't, because he doesn't put anything into his playing or his songwriting. The nu-metal attitude is "Hey man drop your E to D (or C, B, A, how low can they go?), practice your one finger Slayer riffs and you're immortalized on Ozzfest and MTV!" I'm so fucking tired of this no-balls, make-it-simple-as-possible approach to guitar playing and the people that critisize one of the best decades for the electric guitar.
    Right Now...My gf is probably reading my posts.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, WACF, FW, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

And I'm not critisizing EVH's drop-D shit. Atleast he knew what he was doing with it.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey man i like your opinions,youre civil and allow room for argument. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] but id say to me eddie had alot of soul or feeling in his solos,not always but alot of the time and he knew when to lay back and make it simple,not every song was a vehicle for his solos......but his stuff did spawn a huge crop of teased hair,make up wearing glam clones, which people got tired of.and edward got blamed as the ruler of these clones for some reason.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, WACF, FW, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just looked at my post, and it looks like I wrote that editorial, my post actually starts under the bar beginning with "bullshit". Like I said, I dont blame Edward for anything, he's the greatest in all of our minds here at the forums. But people like this Ben guy need to wake up and see how the guitar was played before he was in diapers.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Solos went into hybernation because the pansies taking over the charts couldn't play 'em. [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] Anyone with a lumber jack shirt and big pants with a guitar stuffed in the pocket was looking for a new musical identity, some things just sort of stuck since the grunge movement, and a lack of soulful solos in today's music is just one of those things that remained... A solo is the heart of a tune, be it guitar or keyboard or whatever. It's not juts a flash in the pan to show off. In fact, I can't even think of a solo that didn't have feeling. Sure there may have been some misplaced, but they still had feeling.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by el_jalepeno:
    Solos went into hybernation because the pansies taking over the charts couldn't play 'em. [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] Anyone with a lumber jack shirt and big pants with a guitar stuffed in the pocket was looking for a new musical identity, some things just sort of stuck since the grunge movement, and a lack of soulful solos in today's music is just one of those things that remained... A solo is the heart of a tune, be it guitar or keyboard or whatever. It's not juts a flash in the pan to show off. In fact, I can't even think of a solo that didn't have feeling. Sure there may have been some misplaced, but they still had feeling.
    You got that right bud.
    A good solo should just be an extension of the vocals, regardless of how it's played.
    Mindless didly didly over and over does get repetitious and boring, but when you listen to a good solo with feeling, regardless of who the player is, it's a player's expression of a vocal line.
    I think it's what a good player's all about, regardless of the musical style.
    These jackoffs seem to always be talking about rock cause the majority of guys who say that couldn't solo cause it's too hard when all you know is 3 chords and scream through the whole fuckin song.
    Look at jazz players who do some incredibly complex lines.
    Do you ever hear them griping about that?
    No, cause it doesn't attract the same crowd and therefore doesn't affect their ego.
    Fuck'em.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone heard the new single from Audioslave?

It's got a pretty cool solo. He's got some effects happen, but the solo just seems to work so well with the rest of the tune.

I am not sure of the name of the song........
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's called "like a stone"

There's a video on launch if you're interested.

Not much to the solo, but I really like the "feel" of the solo.......its trippy yet melodic......
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Unchained (tie)
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by tribb:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by el_jalepeno:
    You got that right bud.
    A good solo should just be an extension of the vocals, regardless of how it's played.
    Mindless didly didly over and over does get repetitious and boring, but when you listen to a good solo with feeling, regardless of who the player is, it's a player's expression of a vocal line.
    I think it's what a good player's all about, regardless of the musical style.
    These jackoffs seem to always be talking about rock cause the majority of guys who say that couldn't solo cause it's too hard when all you know is 3 chords and scream through the whole fuckin song.
    Look at jazz players who do some incredibly complex lines.
    Do you ever hear them griping about that?
    No, cause it doesn't attract the same crowd and therefore doesn't affect their ego.
    Fuck'em.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Yeah, what they said...

Seriously... has anyone out there ever met ONE person actually capable of playing an even remotely interesting solo that subscribes to this philosophy?

That's what I thought.

I for one have never heard an Edward Van Halen solo that wasn't emotive, musical, and above all, served the SONG first, as ALL solos should. If you want to know what's REALLY caused the decline of musicianship as a whole, let alone just the guitar solo, all one has to do is look at the sorry state of the music industry today.

Long gone are the days when music producers and record labels would take a chance on something different, something fresh, something that falls outside of their successors' precious Pepsi-commercial marketing demographic, something... original. And why should they? In an unholy alliance with their fellow equally soulless, morally bankrupt corporate vampires at MTV, they've created a massive marketing machine that virtually guarantees them success by programming today's youth from a very early age to accept... no... CELEBRATE mediocrity in the form of one faceless, formulaic, flavor-of-the-hour, gone by-or-shortly-after-their-third-record "band" after another. Think about it... why bother with signing an artist with REAL talent when eventually, they'll just wake up and realize how talented they really are and how bad the label is screwing them, sue the crap out of the label, gain independence and succeed on their own, thereby robbing the label of their obscene marketing revenue? Why on earth would they want to deal with that when they can sign a fleet of marginally talented, easily manipulated and controlled, eager-to-please and malleable acts that the label can uncerimoniously dump when their ADD pre-programmed audience inevitably tires of them in a year or two? It's a business, remember? GREED, my friends, is the real name of the game.

No, Eddie Van Halen, Zakk Wylde and Steve Vai didn't "kill the guitar solo"... hardly, in fact, they're among the precious few left who could possibly revive the lost art of musicianship by proving it can still be profitable. GREED, humanity's oldest, greatest and most deadly flaw, and likely its eventual downfall, is the real culprit, look no further.

To those of us who are old enough to remember... remember when MTV was young and actually promoted creativity and diversity? Hell, remember when they actually played MUSIC? Those were the days, weren't they? Now it's all about what's going to sell the most shoes. What a colossal waste...

Thankfully, there are still some very talented people out there making great music, who are willing to sacrifice and work that much harder to keep their art intact. I can only hope there will always be those of us out there who care about and will support truly talented acts spurned by the mainstream media in favor of marketable mediocrity. Just make sure if there's an "independent" band, artist or label that you really dig that you put your money where your mouth is and support them by actually BUYING their stuff. I download all kinds of shit too, but you can bet your ass when a band like King's X (probably the greatest example of a grossly underrated and underappreciated band I can think of...) puts out a cd, I'm one of the first in line to happily give 'em my 15 bucks so that they can continue keeping the mediocrity at bay for me, at least.

Simply put, support creativity or accept the inevitable consequences, because the industry doesn't give a shit.

SBS

[ February 18, 2003, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: SirBrownSound ]
    What, me, worry?

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

you know i know people are gonna flame me for this but,this guys a writer not a band and alot of nu metal(i still hate that term)bands like van halen and other shred players and classic rock. just because they like them doesnt mean they have to sound just like them . i love van halen(and can play most vh songs note for note ) but christ id be terrified to let you guys hear the band/music im playing in now..... and slayers music is not three chord crap ,have you ever heard a slayer song or solo? its totally fast ass shred. kerry king,zakk wylde,dimebag darrell all these guys are ragging on music without solos. the list of bands who list vh and various 80s bands as influences is to long to list. ...its the kids and the writers of mags trying to make sales who write this stuff(and i agree fuck them).....as a last thing when i saw sevendust last spring they played sweet home alabama,tush,and paradise city for their encore. ok flame away. p.s. no limp bizket or linkin parrk or rap rock flames cause i like none of that shit. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:19 PM
    Liked 1,108 Times in 571 Posts

by saying EVH and Vai and Wylde killing solo's is like saying Page did too, and we all know thats bullshit, by god take a look at eruption, does it not make ya feel like your watchin one, you wanna no who killed solo's and rock, ill point my finger at Kurt kobain, he the idiot who made highly distorted one cord songs, and plucking one string popular, EVH and all the other gods put more soul into there music than kurt blew out of his head, and linkin park and limp bizkit are just like rap, and rap is like disco, 10 years it will be as dead as kurt, and that is my oppinion on solo's and new age music

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member
    One thing that drives me nuts about posts like this isn't so much the content (even though I highly disagree with this columnists position), it is the reference to vague, intangible, almost spiritual, subjective characteristics that all seemingly point exactly to his position. So, he sets up a fallacy by pointing out that there is all this stuff that Eddie and Vai and Hendrix (gasp! He even said Henrix!) did that Kurt Kobain didn't do. All his mumbo jumbo about what a "real" song is just happens to exclude everything with a guitar solo and include Nirvana. Amazing!

Truely, what is a good song? Shit, I don't know, but I have my opinions. Some of it has guitar solos, some have none, some don't even have guitar, some are only percussion, some include a full orchestra, some last 20 secons, some last over and hour. There is no magic formula, you just hear the song and go, "Yeah, that's it!"

The guitar solo did die after Eddie and Vai, but not because of the vague, insufficient, subjective pie in the sky this guy created. It because there hasn't been anyone even remotely talented enough AND creative enough to expand on what these visionaries did. But, it isn't too late, someone will come along sooner or later and knock our socks off.

So, too many notes eh? To quote the maestro Van Halen himself, "Tell that to Beethoven and he'll kick your ass!"

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Originally posted by Rick S:
    you know i know people are gonna flame me for this but,this guys a writer not a band and alot of nu metal(i still hate that term)bands like van halen and other shred players and classic rock. just because they like them doesnt mean they have to sound just like them . i love van halen(and can play most vh songs note for note ) but christ id be terrified to let you guys hear the band/music im playing in now..... and slayers music is not three chord crap ,have you ever heard a slayer song or solo? its totally fast ass shred. kerry king,zakk wylde,dimebag darrell all these guys are ragging on music without solos. the list of bands who list vh and various 80s bands as influences is to long to list. ...its the kids and the writers of mags trying to make sales who write this stuff(and i agree fuck them).....as a last thing when i saw sevendust last spring they played sweet home alabama,tush,and paradise city for their encore. ok flame away. p.s. no limp bizket or linkin parrk or rap rock flames cause i like none of that shit. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    I hear what you're saying bud, and would love to hear what you're playing these days.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

What is a guitar solo for? It's there to give structure to a song. It acts as a sign post saying 'Last chorus coming up, get ready for the big push!' The 'alternative' wave of the 90's didn't manage to kill the guitar solo, I don't think anything ever will, it's function in a song is too useful. All that happened was a backlash, a turning of tides, which is healthy and vital for music to keep evolving. The thing that irks me is how some people almost treat this as a moral issue. It's like some time around 1991, an upper limit was set on the number of notes per bar you could play, and if you exceed that the shred police will come and take you away. It is patently nonsense to assert that music has to be below a certain level of complexity for it to be good. Conversely, it also nonsense to say it has to be above a certain level.

The saddest thing in all this is that there's no-one to aspire to any more. When I was learning it was EVH, Vai, Satriani. Having the bar set high didn't discourage me, it just made me try harder. It will turn around some time, though. One of these days a guitar player will come along and totally side swipe everybody with a new approach to the instrument. It's just a matter of time. I hope.
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

First 6
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Okay!

Saying people like Edward, Zakk etc killed soloing is like saying Micheal Johnson is the reason people don't run!

Simply put - people are LAZY!

Because of video games, 400 tv channels etc, peoples attention spans are becoming increasingly shorter (I know mine is).

How long does it take to learn how to bang out some power chords? Not long. But it takes a truck load of patience, persistence and perserverance to learn to play decent solos.

I can see how kids nowadays would listen to Edwards playing and be discouraged. But when I was learning, listening to Edward would inspire the ever living shit out of me and get me excited to practice and play.