Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member
    Hey fellow guitar freaks! I know that I have been inquiry-boy the last few posts, but I am just bouncing ideas around and am hoping to get to know a few of you guys through these posts.

Anyway, has anyone played the Line 6 Vetta yet? What are your thoughts on it? I have completely given up on my Marshall and 5150 half stacks. I am so tired of having to crank them up to 10 (or 11 ) to get a decent sound out of them. I only do studio recording now and was wondering if purchasing a Vetta would be the way to go. I have heard people's opinions, but very few have actually come from someone that has owned or even played one.

Also, if anyone has any experience with the AX2 I would be happy to hear your opinions it as well...Remember, 11 is one louder than 10... [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I've used the Vetta in a live situation, and I didn't care for it one bit. To me it sounded solidstate all the way. The interface is quite robust, so I'd imagine that it is possible to dial in some good tones, but to me, an admitted tube amp freak, the vetta can't cut it live.

I did have a Pod Pro for a while and was able to do some really good demo work it. I've found that this is where the Line 6 stuff shines. They make it so easy to get a usable tone onto tape. I've had the best results blending them with tube amp tracks. I've found that on their own, they sound pretty sterile and distant, but for beefing up tracks they're great.

I'm pretty sure that the Vetta is using newer technology than the Pod so you might want to try recording it to see if you like it. I primarily use heavy tones, and that's the modellers weak point IMO, but for clean stuff they're great.

The price tag on the Vetta is up there, so I'd definatly try before you buy.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member
    Homeunit,

Thanks for the reply. Your assessment of the Vetta is pretty accurate from what I have heard from most people. Since I have am primarily interested in studio stuff, it sounds like I should pursue getting a hold of a Vetta to play. I don't really care to get a half stack and the combo would suffice for me.

Personally, I have theory (which may be ridiculous being that I haven't played it) that says that it is possible to get a better live sound out of the Vetta if one would spend the time to carefully work on their settings a bit more. From people I have personally heard using the Vetta live, everything seemed to bleed. I believe that is something that is correctable if they modified their settings. What do you think?

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Originally posted by Reckless Fable:
    Homeunit,

Personally, I have theory (which may be ridiculous being that I haven't played it) that says that it is possible to get a better live sound out of the Vetta if one would spend the time to carefully work on their settings a bit more. From people I have personally heard using the Vetta live, everything seemed to bleed. I believe that is something that is correctable if they modified their settings. What do you think?
    I think it all depends on what type of stuff you're doing. If you're going country or middle of the road rock, you might get away with it, but for heavy stuff forget it.

If the Vetta has the same technology as the Pod then you'll be in the same boat I was. I truly tried to make the Pod work. I tried a variety of tube pre's, different combo's of power-amps, and to me it still sounded just ok. I spent a lot of time working with the unit to try and get a usable tone, by to no avail.

In the studio, my buddy and I ran it through Avalon tube pre's, a distressor, you name it, I tried it. It always ends up sounding distant, thin and processed. If you cut the low end and try and brighten it up, it really sounds like shit.

You have to understand though, that I am almost pathological when it comes to my tone. I'm one of the pickiest bastards out there. My suggestion is to try it and see if you like it. I do think that spending a whole lot of time messing with the unit itself will leave you frustrated, I know I was.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member
    It always ends up sounding distant, thin and processed
    Ugh...that could be pretty bad for me. This is a great conversation because I am a tone freak myself and that is why I want to throw my Marshall and 5150 heads out the window. Before anyone throws stones at me, I should clarify! I am such a stickler for an amp that has a decent mid-range. I hate the "V" sounding guitar tone. I try not to muddle the amp down with a whole lot of effects and that is why I have to turn my amps up so loud. When I used to play live, I would have to turn the amp around or it would be completely obnoxious. But living in an apartment in San Francisco doesn't really afford one the chance to crank up a half stack.

Just curious, how would you describe your tone? I would say that I'm looking for something that has a solid mid-range. In my mind I am looking for the tone to have more of a circle than a razor.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

hmmm... my tone.

Well I'm running a modded 78 JMP, and it's great, Tribb also uses these amps. Just plug it in and go. I'd say my tone is fairly balanced. It's not too middy, bassy or high.

I'm not really into the buzzsaw gain, and with the mod that's on my Marshall, the gain is perfect. The guy who did it really spent a long time working on the gain stage. I like using low output pickups, and let the amp do the work.

I'm still building my tone. I'm getting a custom guitar built in the fall, and I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out which woods and electronics to use, and I think I've got it.

My guitar that I'm using right now is an early 90's Robin custom job with a floyd and ash body. I'm using a low output PAF style pickup and it's great.

I don't really know how to describe my tone other then tell you what I use. It's changed over the years.

I also hate the smile EQ metal settings, I like to hear the wood of the guitar, and the natural drive of an amp.

What kind of gear are you using?

BTW, don't sweat it about not liking the 5150's, a lot of us here don't care for them all that much. When I had mine I worked that fucker to get 1 good tone out it.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member
    Well, for amps, I have the orginal 5150 head (which has been in storage since 1998) and a Marshall JCM800. I like the Marshall, but the damn thing has to be cranked up to 10 for my liking. Earlier I made the spinal tap joke, but I seriously wish the thing would go up to 11. I like how to tubes fuzz out and create natural distortion at that volume. I usually don't set the gain very high for that reason. I want the amp to make the sound. My eq's are rather balanced...kind of like the way you described your set up in the last post. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

I don't use any chorus at all. It is a bit too artificial for my personal taste. I have a couple of Lexicon Reverbs that I like.

One of the keys to my tone is a Focusrite Compression unit that I rely on pretty heavily. I know it is that cheap way out, but I really like how it puts my tone, "Forward." Not all compressors are good at doing this without sound artificial, but the Focusrite is the best I've seen. My biggest complaint with tone is the "flat" sound. Usually I crank the Focusrite up and it attacks a little better.

I have a strat and my wolfgang that I use. I had an old Jem, but it pretty much died. I pretty much use my Wolf all the time. I like the sound of the wood and the harmonics are placed well for me. Sometimes the neck pickup is a little soft, but I have learned its sweet spots over time...

So, it is pretty simple for me. Sometimes I tend to worry about it too much. I promised myself that I would let it go a little to avoid dealing with Eric Johnson syndrome! That guy is obssessed (But I love him anyway)! Give me the scoop on the 78 JMP! Sounds really cool...and I'd be interested in hearing about this guitar you are making...

** I edited the part of the Jem...it was incoherant when I re-read it....

[ June 21, 2002, 02:37 AM: Message edited by: Reckless Fable ]

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later, all DLR era songs
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Speakers. G12H-30's. Buy them, steal them, get them now. Tone is VH1-1984.