Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

well i took my amp down to a differnt music store,only 2 around here. and lo and behold they still send it to the same repairman. apparently all it was a power tube burnout and just need new power tubes. well he decided to retube the whole amp,with no name tubes (i mean no brand name anywhere )without calling me to ask if i wanted a retube and what brand tubes i wanted, the order form said "called once no answer" so i guess he decided to go ahead without asking me what i wanted to do.so the charge for him to pop some cheapy no name tubes into my amp? 150.00!first off the store policy is if the charge is over 70.00 dollars they will ask you first if you want the work done. i went down to the store to see the amp and told them i didnt want this done i can easily get the tubes i wanted i wouyld never have approved this ,take the tubes out and ill pay for the labor. the salesman says i have to call the repairman(who lives in another state)for his ok first. so its like either i pay the 150.00 or i cant get my amp back for work i never approved for. i mean do i have a reason to be pissed here? he only called once and im in school and working im not home much. im so tired of shifty repair work. [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Rick S:
    well i took my amp down to a differnt music store,only 2 around here. and lo and behold they still send it to the same repairman. apparently all it was a power tube burnout and just need new power tubes. well he decided to retube the whole amp,with no name tubes (i mean no brand name anywhere )without calling me to ask if i wanted a retube and what brand tubes i wanted, the order form said "called once no answer" so i guess he decided to go ahead without asking me what i wanted to do.so the charge for him to pop some cheapy no name tubes into my amp? 150.00!first off the store policy is if the charge is over 70.00 dollars they will ask you first if you want the work done. i went down to the store to see the amp and told them i didnt want this done i can easily get the tubes i wanted i wouyld never have approved this ,take the tubes out and ill pay for the labor. the salesman says i have to call the repairman(who lives in another state)for his ok first. so its like either i pay the 150.00 or i cant get my amp back for work i never approved for. i mean do i have a reason to be pissed here? he only called once and im in school and working im not home much. im so tired of shifty repair work. [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]
    it says no work over $70 unless approved first right ?? end of discussion, how the hell did he know what tubes you wanted ? or that you wanted acmplete bias change and go with different tubes ?
    I'd be pissed to.
    Rol.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

yep. after i dropped the amp off i called the store the next day and asked specifically is there a price on repairs where they ll call first to ask if you want the repair done? because the amps only worth so much and i only have so much money. the salesman said our policy is if its more than 70.00 the repairman will call you first to see what you want done.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Bastrads. [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img] Give em the dog's ass, Rick. [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

First off, be cool. Write a letter to the MUSIC STORE that you went to stating that you did not authorize the work done and to put your old tubes back in. Send it CERTIFED with a return receipt and keep this for your records to present to the small claims court. The music store is responsible since they sent your amp out. Of course they won't have the old tubes but that's there problem. In the letter, give them 10 business days to respond in writing how to resolve this issue or you will take them to small claims court. In Texas, there is a law that if a service provider deliberate screw you, you are entitled to 3 times the amount of the bill. Check your state laws. Look on the internet or call the Attorney General's office. This will take a little work on your part, but well worth the effort. To file a claim in small claims court will cost probably $50 or so, which you can include in the damages from the music shop. They should have given you a pickup slip or something with the $70 verification policy. If not, you will need to figure out a way (phot of a sign in the store maybe?) and present that to the judge. There is a 75% chance that they will not charge you for the new tubes, and they will get yourt amp back to you with new tubes free of charge. Good luck! Get the ball rolling ASAP because some stores have a 30 day policy that you loose the equipment if not picked up. Let me know if I can do anything else. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

[ October 05, 2002, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: el_jalepeno ]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree with el_jalepeno. You've been screwed, blued, and tattoo'd on this deal, and this isn't the first time they've stuck it to you either Rick, remember.
    That's like getting a flat tire on your car, taking it to the shop to have the flat fixed, and then when you come back to get it, all 4 tires have been replaced cause they couldn't get hold of you and they thought you'd want them all replaced. Then they tell you the guy who did it isn't here and you have to pay or you won't get your car back. Would you pay or say fuck you, put the fuckin tires back on.
    You didn't pick the fucking tubes, or approve the fucking tubes, or any kind of bias or other repair before work was done, and therefore the bias was not the one you wanted or needed in the first place.
    This is a blatant ripoff, and one that shouldn't be ignored.
    First of all, you've gotta get pissed about this.
    They DON'T have the right to keep your amp for work you never approved of "in writing" in the first place.
    Unless you signed a peice of paper stating that it was ok to proceed at their own discretion these FUCKS are basically telling you to bend over and take it up the ass with a smile on your face, and you're paying for the KY Jelly.
    Get this nutwad of a repair man's (I use the term repair man very loosely in this case) phone no.
    Phone that stupid shit and tell him in unfriendly terms that under the circumstances you don't appreciate what he did and you want your amp back the way it was "NOW", and you DON'T expect to be charged for it. If the store says they can't or won't give you his no. then the store is accepting responsibility for it. Walk in there and raise your voice, making sure that customers can hear you bitching about what they did to your amp without permission.
    Take those bastards to small claims court immediately. I garantee the judge will order them to return your amp.
    Don't take this with a smile on your face and a bottle of vasaline Rick.
    If they're doing this to you, you can be pretty sure it's a policy for them to do it on a regular basis to others.
    It won't cost anything to take them to court and if it means giving up your guitar amp for a few weeks bite the bullet and do it.
    I'd be all over those fucks for something like this.
    Shit like this pisses me off big time.
    DON'T lie back and take this!!!! [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I took my Marshall VS40 in cause only the Power AMP In was workin, so obviously the preamp was jacked up...

Well they called me in one fuckin day, only it's not "right down the street", so it was a couple days before I pick it up. Well, they had repaired some shit for me before, and did a good job, so I took the amp home.

I get home to find that the main input must have a fucking bad ground or the jack is fucked because I push the cable all the way in and the fucker cuts out...pull out the cable and the bitch works, but that's unacceptable, because guitar cords move...I'm thinking it's a bad ground, but either way it's fucked...
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's what you get for messin around with that marshall shit.

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by tribb:
    That's what you get for messin around with that marshall shit.
    Heh...well after only utilizing the power amp for over five years or so I decided it was time to get her fixed, so much for that. I'm gonna call the fucker up and tell him what kind of shit is this.

With the Wolfgang pickups I have a new not so much love as a liking for the gain channel, since they're pretty hot.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In defense of nutwad repairmen:

You took your amp to a music store, so the STORE is the responsible party here. In a case like that, the repair shop will most likely only deal with and communicate with the store that sent it to them. That is fairly standard policy.

In other words, if they retubed your amp, it was probably because the idiot salesman, or someone at the store told them to. "Called once, no answer" is bullshit. If the policy is to ask before the work is done, what the store did is clearly a violation of said policy.

Next time, take it directly to the shop yourself if possible. Any time you can eliminate middlemen, especially idiot salespeople, you are better off. And no, not all salepersons are idiots...

Before you beat up the repair person, who may have not known any better (like I said, they probably just did what the store told them to), politely leave a few footprints on the salesman's back on your way to the store MANAGER'S office, and explain the situation to him/her.
    If that doesn't get you anywhere, find out who the owner is and take your case to them.

If all of that fails, it's now time to get pissed and go to small claims or whatever. It is also time to find a new place to shop that will provide decent service. Explaining this fact to a store owner will usually get results if nothing else will.

My 2 cents...

Roger Crimm
    Regional Service Manager
    Peavey Electronics
    Roger C

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by rcrimm:
    In defense of nutwad repairmen:

You took your amp to a music store, so the STORE is the responsible party here. In a case like that, the repair shop will most likely only deal with and communicate with the store that sent it to them. That is fairly standard policy.

In other words, if they retubed your amp, it was probably because the idiot salesman, or someone at the store told them to. "Called once, no answer" is bullshit. If the policy is to ask before the work is done, what the store did is clearly a violation of said policy.

Next time, take it directly to the shop yourself if possible. Any time you can eliminate middlemen, especially idiot salespeople, you are better off. And no, not all salepersons are idiots...

Before you beat up the repair person, who may have not known any better (like I said, they probably just did what the store told them to), politely leave a few footprints on the salesman's back on your way to the store MANAGER'S office, and explain the situation to him/her.
    If that doesn't get you anywhere, find out who the owner is and take your case to them.

If all of that fails, it's now time to get pissed and go to small claims or whatever. It is also time to find a new place to shop that will provide decent service. Explaining this fact to a store owner will usually get results if nothing else will.

My 2 cents...

Roger Crimm
    Regional Service Manager
    Peavey Electronics
    Hey Roge, that's all well and good, but as you stated in your post, eliminate the middle man. By sending a letter to the store, it will go to the manager or owner. Regardless, whomever opens it will know that they rubbed a customer in a wrong way and work that much harder to rectify the issue. That's my 2 cents, but now someone owes me a penny! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    On another note, there was a post here a while back about Peavey guitars. Not to knock them in any way, but didn't they used to be very inexpensive a decade ago, and after getting some high-profile endorsements the guitar business at Peavey shot up? Peavey has ALWAYS been high quality in amps and PA systems, but I am curious about the guitars. Can you shed any light on that without compromising yourself at Peavey? Many Thanks! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I meant to add "get everything in writing", but the phone rang and I forgot.
    And yes, the letter thing sounds like a good idea to me. At least that way the store can't claim "you didn't tell us" or some shit...But if it's me, I am still in the manager/owner's face, and not JUST sending letters.

On the guitar thing, I don't really think the endorsements have much to do with it. Guitars, like everything else manufactured in the US, just cost more to build now. Unfortunately, most of the inexpensive stuff offered by any company is built overseas these days.

Plus, despite the many contradictory opinions that I am sure will follow, Peavey builds a much better guitar these days.

Peavey didn't start building guitars until the late 70's. Now, the old T-60 was/is a fine guitar. Not the prettiest thing, and the neck was too thin some people. It was still a killer instrument for the 300 bucks or so that it sold for in 1978.

It was so inexpensive because for one, it was the first EVER guitar built using a CNC router. This cut out a lot of expensive "hand" labor. Peavey also pretty much sold guitars at a loss for a long time, because Hartley was trying to get his foot in the door.
    The guitar program has come a long way since '78. The prices have gone up, but so have the quality and playabilty of the guitars. There are also more models, and more features/colors than before.

FWIW, I bought one of my Gibsons, an SG Custom, brand new in 1978 for $750 with case. It is a Norlin era guitar, which is considered by many to be kind of a "dog" of a Gibson. It still stomps any new SG I have played lately. The latest list price I saw on an SG Custom like mine, was $4938.00...
    Roger C

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

everythings straight now. i talked to the repairman who gave me the runaround and jargon crap when i told him i didnt want to pay 150.00 for 2 power tubes to be replaced and that i never said i wanted that all it said on the order form was "no status power,doesnt know why" he then told me that if the store only writes estimate does he call first otherwise he fixes the problem,so its the stores fault(which the store denied when i told them that)i then told him i dont want the tubes and i already had some jj tubes . he then proceeded to tell me jj tubes and groove tubes were crap and that the ruby tube svetlana s he put in were the best you could get and that because i had a power tube burnout that he had to remove all the circuit boards and replace resistors and circuits blah blah. and so thats why it cost a 150.00 of course he couldnt produce a record of what was done nor could the store when i went to pick it up. so anyway.he said call the store and tell them its their fault and work something out with them im not involved. i called in the morning the first salesman i talked to was very peeved i wanted to only pay for the labor and he pretty much hung up on me. i decided to go at night and by the time i went in there i was ready to pull the fucker who did that over the counter and throttle him a bit. but i got a cool salesman who saw i was pissed and when i told him the story couldnt find any record of what was done just a order form saying 150.00 on the amp. he said he didnt feel like taking the amp apart and taking the tubes out and since theyre was no record of what i requested be done he said just take it with the tubes ,we ve had this trouble with him before he just goes ahead and does work without giving estimates. i said cool how bout 30.00 for labor and he said sure i guess thats cool. i then thanked him and told him how much i appreciated it and thanked him for understanding my side of it. after i got hom all that was in there was 2 ruby tubes russian svetlanas 6l6gs c and one electro harmonix in the first pre socket. the amp still cracks and buzzes like before the status power is just back now. so 150.00 fror 2 new power tubes?
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by rcrimm:
    I meant to add "get everything in writing", but the phone rang and I forgot.
    And yes, the letter thing sounds like a good idea to me. At least that way the store can't claim "you didn't tell us" or some shit...But if it's me, I am still in the manager/owner's face, and not JUST sending letters.

On the guitar thing, I don't really think the endorsements have much to do with it. Guitars, like everything else manufactured in the US, just cost more to build now. Unfortunately, most of the inexpensive stuff offered by any company is built overseas these days.

Plus, despite the many contradictory opinions that I am sure will follow, Peavey builds a much better guitar these days.

Peavey didn't start building guitars until the late 70's. Now, the old T-60 was/is a fine guitar. Not the prettiest thing, and the neck was too thin some people. It was still a killer instrument for the 300 bucks or so that it sold for in 1978.

It was so inexpensive because for one, it was the first EVER guitar built using a CNC router. This cut out a lot of expensive "hand" labor. Peavey also pretty much sold guitars at a loss for a long time, because Hartley was trying to get his foot in the door.
    The guitar program has come a long way since '78. The prices have gone up, but so have the quality and playabilty of the guitars. There are also more models, and more features/colors than before.

FWIW, I bought one of my Gibsons, an SG Custom, brand new in 1978 for $750 with case. It is a Norlin era guitar, which is considered by many to be kind of a "dog" of a Gibson. It still stomps any new SG I have played lately. The latest list price I saw on an SG Custom like mine, was $4938.00...
    Excellent info! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] Thank you very much [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Rick S:
    everythings straight now. i talked to the repairman who gave me the runaround and jargon crap when i told him i didnt want to pay 150.00 for 2 power tubes to be replaced and that i never said i wanted that all it said on the order form was "no status power,doesnt know why" he then told me that if the store only writes estimate does he call first otherwise he fixes the problem,so its the stores fault(which the store denied when i told them that)i then told him i dont want the tubes and i already had some jj tubes . he then proceeded to tell me jj tubes and groove tubes were crap and that the ruby tube svetlana s he put in were the best you could get and that because i had a power tube burnout that he had to remove all the circuit boards and replace resistors and circuits blah blah. and so thats why it cost a 150.00 of course he couldnt produce a record of what was done nor could the store when i went to pick it up. so anyway.he said call the store and tell them its their fault and work something out with them im not involved. i called in the morning the first salesman i talked to was very peeved i wanted to only pay for the labor and he pretty much hung up on me. i decided to go at night and by the time i went in there i was ready to pull the fucker who did that over the counter and throttle him a bit. but i got a cool salesman who saw i was pissed and when i told him the story couldnt find any record of what was done just a order form saying 150.00 on the amp. he said he didnt feel like taking the amp apart and taking the tubes out and since theyre was no record of what i requested be done he said just take it with the tubes ,we ve had this trouble with him before he just goes ahead and does work without giving estimates. i said cool how bout 30.00 for labor and he said sure i guess thats cool. i then thanked him and told him how much i appreciated it and thanked him for understanding my side of it. after i got hom all that was in there was 2 ruby tubes russian svetlanas 6l6gs c and one electro harmonix in the first pre socket. the amp still cracks and buzzes like before the status power is just back now. so 150.00 fror 2 new power tubes?
    [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] You won today. Sell that hunk o' shit on ebay and buy a new amp... Just post the link here for the auctin so none of your VH Buds buy it [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]