On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.26.07 @ 11:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone care to share their advice on how to attain good speed and accuracy when playing solo licks and scales?
    I've been working for months and I'm getting better and play cleaner all the time. Just wondering if there's a good way to speed up the process and get better results through a specific practice regiment....

Your input is welcome.

[ December 03, 2002, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: Canyon Carver ]
    My first time in the spotlight was from a helicopter.

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you don't already use one, I'd definitely get a decent metronome, it will definitely hone your chops.

If you're already using one I'd just keep woodsheddin man, and gradually build tough licks up to speed to build muscle memory.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning or VH3... it varies.
    Favorite VH Song

too many to count... I\'m diggin\' Can\'t Get This Stuff No More right now.
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeah, go for the classical stuff. Working off the Paganini transcriptions in Yngwie's Guitar World column really helped me in the speed department, though I still can't play those pieces for shit.
    "The common thing on governments as an institution is: they're all bad worldwide. It might be the only thing that binds all nations together: the incompetence of their governments. Look at the people who have been president in the US so far... could I DO ANY WORSE?"<br /> <br />~ Frank Zappa

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by bigbadwolf:
    [QB...always start slow, as you go along speed will build up. don't force yourself to play fast immediately, cause your accuracy won't build up. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [/QB]
    Exactly! Start slow, and as your fingers memorize the licks, your speed will increase. You don't want to force it though because you may be making mistakes, and the mistakes are what your fingers will remember as well [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Eruption
    Last Online

11.03.15 @ 07:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"speed is the by product of accuracy"

there is this guitar book i used to achieve good guitar playing. the title of this book is "speed metal." forgot the author, but it helps alot. it has alot of neo-classical lessons, from paganini to bach that helps your guitar playing. you can also find one lesson eddie van halen used and where he got his idea for his piece "eruption."

one tip from that book is: always start slow, as you go along speed will build up. don't force yourself to play fast immediately, cause your accuracy won't build up. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are you using alternate picking?
    Chromatics...up and down the neck and ANY pattern you can think of up and down the neck over and over again.
    Don't increase you speed until you've got it clean though!
    You can give the illusion of speed if you use hammer ons and pull offs every few notes..this will definatly make you seem faster. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    The rumor: W.D.F.A-We Don't Fuck Around.<br />The truth: W.D.F.A-We Disregard Fans Abundently

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Metronome.

If you have an accoustic, use that.

If not, go buy a set of the heaviest strings you can find. Once you get fast on the heavy's switch back you what you are using now. You'll fly.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

short 3 or 4 note bursts
    picking up and down of course!

kinda like a Cowboy practicing taking his gun out of his holster.

but fuck playing a million notes per minute. look where that got Yngkdwieiwiehe malfmeimfdstiten--overweight and getting into fights on airplanes

[ December 09, 2002, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: hain23x ]
    Eat Us and Smile!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I know this may sound silly... but a FRESH PICK! I have found that this really makes a huge difference. I can play with a "flaty" pretty well, but a fresh pick really improves speed & accuracy
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

the best advice I could give any person wanting to start playing guitar is to go buy AC/DC's first 3 or 4 records and learn every song.

they're easy, cool, bluesy, etc.

then if you want to play fast, just play those licks as fast as possible
    Eat Us and Smile!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

oops

[ December 09, 2002, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: hain23x ]
    Eat Us and Smile!

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good advice everyone!

I've been working on Dorian, Aeolian and Mixolydian modes a lot, and learning how to slide down the neck from the low E to the high E string, from the top to the bottom of the neck and back.
    That's a daunting task, but I can see results; just not as spectacular as I wish they were, until a friend of mine listen to me noodling and pointed out how much better I had become. I guess it's sometines easier to impress others than to impress oneself.

I'll keep pluggin away, plucking, picking, and keeping in time with the rythm...

Stay tuned and keep the good advice coming for others to use.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Canyon Carver:
    Good advice everyone!

I've been working on Dorian, Aeolian and Mixolydian modes a lot, and learning how to slide down the neck from the low E to the high E string, from the top to the bottom of the neck and back.
    That's a daunting task, but I can see results; just not as spectacular as I wish they were, until a friend of mine listen to me noodling and pointed out how much better I had become. I guess it's sometines easier to impress others than to impress oneself.

I'll keep pluggin away, plucking, picking, and keeping in time with the rythm...

Man CC you've been doing some serious woodshedding for a while now!! I remember back in the Dome days when you told us you were getting serious again. Seems you've been at it ever since. You must be able to tear it up a little now!!

Some advice on what I'm working on now. Keep with learning scales, don't stop leaning them until you run out of new ones to learn, then make some up! But what I've been working on is building up my trick bag. I'm trying to make it to where I can incorporate as many off the wall licks and tricks into my improvising at any time. The great thing is there are a ton of tricks out there!! When I say tricks I mean like the cool little parts that really stick out amongst the noodling of a solo. This keeps your lead playing fresh and exciting. I like for my playing to have a kind of "edge of your seat" kind of quality to them.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Canyon Carver:
    Good advice everyone!

That happened to me too!
    Because you listen to yourself progress slowly, you don't notice the improvement. When someone else hears it, it's like night and day!
    You don't realise how good you got until someone else points it out!
    The rumor: W.D.F.A-We Don't Fuck Around.<br />The truth: W.D.F.A-We Disregard Fans Abundently

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Larry J, you've got the right approach, and darn, I didn't realize I have been woodshedding for so long. The Dome seems like a distant memory now.

Yes, I like those little licks that make a solo or improv stand out. I have been collecting some of them and put them in my bag of tricks. I came up with some really cool phrases totally by accident, and sometimes have to write them down in tab so I still have them the next morning—you know all about it probably, woodshedding late at night, and finding yourself “in the pocket” for a little while, playing like you never have before and going to bed giddy with joy. Of course you sometimes wake up the next day, pick up the guitar and realize that you now have ten thumbs and can't capture the magic anymore, ah ah ah! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

About scales, I found some really rad, exotic scales on this web site the other day,

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Styx...ar/scales.html

and if I wasn't affraid to wipe out my personnal hard drive with new and confusing scale patterns, I would give them a try. In the meantime I'll stick to my modes for now, and keep shredding in minor pentatonic (of course my scale of choice) until I can kick Zakk Wylde's ass (Yeah right, one can alway hope).

Thanks for reading this ridiculously long and self-centered post. Ah ah [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]