Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, Me Wise Magic, a
    Last Online

03.06.12 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After a long putting off and wait, I finally forked out the dolleros for an electic guitar and amp.

Its a.... *reads from guitar* Cort G200. The amps just a little practise one, Ashton 65W.

I picked up the guitar about 3 months ago now, on a wedensday in october. Got an acoustic on the saturday, and I been playing since [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

If there was a 'newbie' level, I'm the one below that! I'd appreciate any advice, be it playing techniques, care and maintance or anything in general, so feel free to pass on your wisdom
    A little zen, headed you way...<br />Formally Ignorance_Is_Bliss

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:47 AM
    Liked 928 Times in 555 Posts

Congrats , play your ass off and have fun [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    You may think I`m being mean but I`m really just being sarcastic

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's my advice:

Grab either guitar and just practice playing chords.

Strummin up and down.
    Sometimes only playing certain strings as you play.

Try different rhythms.....get funky...

Work on going from chord to chord as smoothly as possible.

Work on that pinkie strength.

Don't worry about squeals, tapping or harmonics......of course a good pick slide is OK every once in a while.....

Try to hang with others who play. Watch their fingers. Notice how they create a whole diffent sound or vibe just be simply moving their fingers around on the fretboard.

Play clean.....not fast.

If I would have followed this advice, I would be a lot better than I am today.
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Heed this advice Mewise:
    Right now you're gonna suck, but that's for you to say and no one else. Everyone who starts out is gonna suck because their muscles in their hands and arms need strengthening. This comes with time. I would recommend you try to play for a total of about three hours a week to get your feet wet. Your hand is gonna hurt, but the link below will help you build the necessary muscles in your wrist and hand:

http://www.vhforums.com/cgi-bin/vhlf...;f=12;t=001631

Now get to strummin'! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] Remember, it takes alot of work, and you may not see results overnight, but with some practice, you can be playing a couple of tunes within a month, and the best part is that people may actually recognize them And NEVER force yourself to play, or you start a subconscious negative trend. Best of luck with it [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

[ January 21, 2003, 07:03 PM: Message edited by: el_jalepeno ]

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice! and the thread for strengthening muscles

I noticed the reach alot of professional guitarists have... Like our own EVH of course, in the humans being video. Me any my friend were sitting, watching it when, at the same time, we noticed.... 2, 3, 5, 8.....whoa! 2...3...5....8!!! WTF?! now thats el stretcho! [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]

I got a couple of questions about terminology:

1) I'm pretty sure I know the answer but dosn't hurt to check... what are the 'pickups'

2) Whats going on about this hum somthing buisness? humburger, humdinger... somthing a rather? [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]

oh! and whats the difference between a 'clean' sound channel and a 'dirty' sound channel? clean apparently works well with one pickup insturments, dirty works better with two.. is this right, and can someone elaborate?

Cheers to anyone who takes the time to reply!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ed can really stretch his fingers......

Pick Ups are the oval looking things that have 6 small pieces of metal embeded into them.

A humbucker is a type of pick up.....usually known as more of a "rock" pickup

Your clean channel on an amp would be the undistorted sound it produces while the dirty would be with distortion added. Some amps have 2 channels where you can pick clean or dirty, while others only have one channel.
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ok.... so what are the advantages of clean over dirty, if any?

and so these pickups would be tone, volume, correct?

additional stuff im curious about but isnt important...

how can i tell the difference between a normal pickup and a humbucker

and how does an amp generate clean and dirty channels? is it wattage or what?

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I had a great handbook when I was learning to play. It had all the chords diagramed in it. Then I'd go to the music store and get the sheet music to my favorite records, which have all the chords written over the staffs. Today most of those books have tab so you can learn even more quickly. You'll learn faster if you can find another guitarist to jam with once in a while.

Play as much as you can but keep it fun. If you get stuck and frustrated, put it down for a while and do something else. Then when you've cleared your mind chances are you will get it.

Clean channels are usually used for Jazz and Countyr and Western an some Folk-Rock stuff. There's nothing like a Telecaster on clean. Dirty or Crunch is usually a poorman's distortion. Today's amps are a huge improvement over the stuff I had in the 80's but I preffer a distortion or overdrive pedal. That's a personal thing, I want more control over my signal and to do that it's important to surrender as little to the amp as possible. But that's just me.

Explore the sounds that you can get from your amp. My Trebble never goes over 6 and my Mid-Range and Bass are up at 8 and 8. For me it gives me a throaty, fat sound and gives me consistant sound all the way to the back of the room. You may find that something else does it for you.

Above all, HAVE FUN!!

also if you have a question, ask. That's the best way to learn. Believe me, I tried the Jedi-Nija-Holistic approach to learning guitar and then I went to see Ed play and thought "fuck it, that's all he's doing?" and I realized that I'd learn faster and better if I got out more.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

So Hard . . .
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Dude !
    Me I play for 8 month now !
    I always play guitar !
    Just like now I not at school im playing guitar

play for a total of about three hours a week to get your feet wet I play almost 5 hour/day ! I always play when I got nothing to do ! That mean I play alot [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    I like to play rock band cause before I was playing alot of "Punk" and by the time i've get tired of all those "PowerChord" so I start praticing some =VH= song and other cool band [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    EVH: Definitely. Playing guitar was my sanctuary. It was the one place I could go to if I got fucked around by a girlfriend, or anyone else, for that matter. It still is. If thereís something I canít deal with, I can just spend hours playing. Itís a God-given gift Ė I certainly donít know where the ideas come from. Theyíre obviously given to you, and you have to keep your fingers moving and your mind quiet. I try my best to not think about thinking, so I can just let it flow. Because when I start thinking, forget it. <br />So....why he isn't playing guitar ? ? ?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by MeWise85:
    ok.... so what are the advantages of clean over dirty, if any?

and so these pickups would be tone, volume, correct?

additional stuff im curious about but isnt important...

how can i tell the difference between a normal pickup and a humbucker

and how does an amp generate clean and dirty channels? is it wattage or what?
    Cut and paste this to your forehead for the next few weeks [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Single coil pickups are a magnet with copperwire. They transmit the string vibrations to the amp. The also hum. A humbucker is two single coils wired together. As they are wired, they cancel the hum, hence "humbucker" You may see humbuckers in different shapes, such as a rectangle box, and there are some that are made to fit in the hole of a single coil so you don't change the looks of the guitar.

Tuning machines are how you tighten the strings.
    Bridge is where the strings are attached via lock or ball bit. Some bridges have springs so you can warble the strings.
    Nut is where the strings line up on the neck.
    Truss rod- used to adjust neck. Dont touch this.
    Input jack, plugs int your amp.

So on and so on

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by VanHalen5150:
    Hey Dude !
    Me I play for 8 month now !
    I always play guitar !
    Just like now I not at school im playing guitar

play for a total of about three hours a week to get your feet wet I play almost 5 hour/day ! I always play when I got nothing to do ! That mean I play alot [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    I like to play rock band cause before I was playing alot of "Punk" and by the time i've get tired of all those "PowerChord" so I start praticing some =VH= song and other cool band [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    LMAO...Dude, you really should spend more time in school. And keep those straps tight on your helmet [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

[ January 22, 2003, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: el_jalepeno ]

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

oops i double posted......

[ January 22, 2003, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: MeWise85 ]

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jesus H Christ that makes more sense!!

ok, so I got three pickups on my G200, but i have 5 settings on the pickup selector... whats the deal?! [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img]

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

06.22.15 @ 03:18 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

The 5 notches are including the combinations betweeen the pickups.....

Congrats on your purchase!
    not another dime from me, fellas...

tinzen

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

one small problem with my new girlfriend is her tremolo bar keeps whacking the tuning out of place. I've gone so far as to remove it. I emailed the tech support of the cort site and they said return it to the supplier to get it fixed (thats good, I was going to put it through a deep fryer and serve it at the local fish and chips shop).

Its going in as soon as I get the money, but do any of you know what the problem could be? Don't worry, I'm not going to try and fix it!

the funny thing is, the top (low e) strings of the guitar go out of tune the most, the low (high e) strings shift tuning a little, but the A string dosnt even shift, it remains the same every time I pick it up.

On the same note, whats the best way to have the tremolo bar attached? mine is a wind in, so should i wind it in a little, about middle, or all the way?