Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

OK, I've been thinking about getting a Les Paul. However, the price of a Gibson is outrageous. So, what I wanted to know.. is it really worth the price? What is your opinion?
    Your favorite band sucks.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Currently - Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.28.12 @ 10:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi xaminer. I can only talk from my Brother's point of view. He was always thinking about buying a Gibson SG. However, like you, he was always put off by the price.

But he played lots of Epiphones, and he hated them. Consequently, he hates Epiphones with a passion! I could go on and on about his rants about them, but he doesn't like them.

Recently, he managed to buy the Gibson SG he so sought.

He's never stopped raving about it. And he's so happy with it. It sounds and plays just the way he wants it, plus it has meant that he has had to improve his playing because, as he puts it,

"Now I've got to really solo now Dave, no hiding behind those cheap whammy bar tricks anymore !"

But like I say, this is my brothers opinion. But if his is anything to go buy, if you're gonna buy a Gibson, then buy the real thing, accept no substitutes.

Hope this helps...
    "<i>You can please <b>some</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time,<br />And <b>all</b> of the people <b>some</b> of the time,<br />But you can't please <b>all</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time !</i>"<br /><br />(was Dave5150 on <b><i>The Pleasure Dome</i></b>)<br /><br />Check out some of my music at: <a href="http://www.dave5150.com" target="_blank">www.dave5150.com</a>

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

You'll notice the Gibson is heavier than the Epiphone, and the tops on Epiphones are usually quite a bit thinner. Have you actually played either one though? No disrespect but it sounds like you haven't. My point is go try a few of them out from Epiphone and Gibson, and then make your judgement call. Sure you can sink $3000 for a Gibson compared to $600 for an Epiphone, but if you don't even know what you prefer then you may be waiting a lot longer to get the LP tone. But try at least 3 of each brand to get a feel for the differences. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

[ October 14, 2002, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: el_jalepeno ]

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Yes, and I'm not fond of Epiphone myself.... however, I posted because I value your input.
    Your favorite band sucks.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

cheap whammy bar tricks?
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

I feel that buying a Gibson is worth it if your #1 hobby is playing music. If not, forget about it. No way I'd sink a buttload of dough for a guitar I don't play all the time. And no matter how cool it may be to own one, if it doesn't feel or sound right to you then it ain't worth it.

The differences between Epiphones and Gibsons? Epiphones are made with medium-quality woods and other materials, as compared to Gibsons, which use the highest-quality stuff. With a little web research you should be able to find out the differences. Epiphones are well-built, quality instruments.

Personally, xaminer, I give Epiphone Les Pauls the thumbs up, but only the ones that are over the $600 mark. The sound is great and they feel just like a Gibson if you don't know the difference. Also, Epies are durable, just like Gibsons.

What it all comes down to is how you feel about it. Listen to el_jalapeno and try out 3 of each brand.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by mondola:
    "Now I've got to really solo now Dave, no hiding behind those cheap whammy bar tricks anymore !"
    Maybe your brother doesn't know how to play with a whammy? You can't just start banging notes and bending the bar, unless you're at the "just starting out" kind of thing... Wow, I never thought of Ed's playing as "cheap whammy bar tricks", and Ed uses the bar quite extensively... Maybe your bro is more into the Duran Duran guitar style??? Just wondering. [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]

[ October 14, 2002, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: el_jalepeno ]