Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My tapping needs some serious work!
    Anyone know where I can get some good Ed style licks from?
    The rumor: W.D.F.A-We Don't Fuck Around.<br />The truth: W.D.F.A-We Disregard Fans Abundently

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, WACF, FW, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

"They\'re all hit singles, man" - DLR
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Get tabs for Eruption, Spanish Fly, Hot For Teacher, and Source of Infection. Practice them to death. Remember to start slow and build speed as you go.
    Right Now...My gf is probably reading my posts.

Favorite VH Album

All of 'em
    Favorite VH Song

All of 'em
    Last Online

07.17.17 @ 12:03 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Lots of practice and dedication.

A lot of us would do "anything" to play like Ed. The fact of the matter is is that, apart from Ed's natural talent, he has practiced ENDLESS and COUNTLESS hours, as has any artist that has mastered his/her trade.

Are any of us willing to practice those countless hours? I'm not. That's why I suck. But hey, the more you practice, the better you get. You put in the time, and you'll nail it!
    You can lead a horse to water, but that still won't make him a duck!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Now here's an important point. If you bust you ass to sound just like Ed, then you sound just like Ed. If I want to hear Ed, I put on a CD. Get my point? Make it a point to get as much as you can out of it, but put some of yourself in it. Anyone can read tab and learn it note for note, just like Spanish , but you should build up your confidence to do your own thing. Look at this: One of Ed's biggest influences was Eric Clapton. But you don't really hear much Clapton in Ed's playing. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks guys! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    I probably should have explained what I meant a bit better.
    I don't really want to be Ed, I just noticed that in the way I play, one of my weaknesses is tapping.
    I need to put some solid work into it and don't really know how to go about it.
    I mentioned Ed because his tapping style is very natural and flowing whereas some players tend to be very mechanical when they use it.
    The rumor: W.D.F.A-We Don't Fuck Around.<br />The truth: W.D.F.A-We Disregard Fans Abundently

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by el_jalepeno:
    Now here's an important point. If you bust you ass to sound just like Ed, then you sound just like Ed. If I want to hear Ed, I put on a CD. Get my point? Make it a point to get as much as you can out of it, but put some of yourself in it. Anyone can read tab and learn it note for note, just like Spanish , but you should build up your confidence to do your own thing. Look at this: One of Ed's biggest influences was Eric Clapton. But you don't really hear much Clapton in Ed's playing. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Now there's an excellent point.
    Be yourself. If you want to learn Ed's signature licks at least put your own twist to them.
    After doing nothing but VH for years I could nail it with no problem, but when I went to an open jam I sucked.
    All I could play was VH and I did everything sounding like VH.
    It actually took my versatility away bit by bit till there was nothing left. Imagine playing blues while you're hammering and tapping all over the place. It got to the point where I couldn't stand to listen to VH anymore.
    If you listen to Ed he's instantly recognizable but also very predictable in that he's very repetitious. He wasn't like that in the early days but eventually locked himself into one way of playing, so no matter who he's playing with you could swear he's done that same solo or run in a hundred other tunes.
    It feels a lot better to express yourself using your own style which you develop only by praticing what's in your own head, like Ed originally did.
    I consider myself a good player, but not when I'm tapping or hammering, or trying to fit a VH run into a song that it doesn't belong in cause that's not playing as much as copying and it won't make you an overall better player, like pushing yourself to play what's in your own head will.
    I apologize for rambling cause it's hard to get the point across that even though this is the VH Links copping a few of Ed's licks won't impress anyone anymore except maybe the person who's playing them, and in the long run it'll do more damage than good in your overall playing.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Originally posted by ebmm_axis:
    A lot of us would do "anything" to play like Ed.

You put in the time, and you'll nail it!
    Correct.

[img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img] Tapping, You Say?? [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by tribb:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by el_jalepeno:
    Now there's an excellent point.
    Be yourself. If you want to learn Ed's signature licks at least put your own twist to them.
    After doing nothing but VH for years I could nail it with no problem, but when I went to an open jam I sucked.
    It actually took my versatility away bit by bit till there was nothing left. Imagine playing blues while you're hammering and tapping all over the place. It got to the point where I couldn't stand to listen to VH anymore.
    If you listen to Ed he's instantly recognizable but also very predictable in that he's very repetitious. He wasn't like that in the early days but eventually locked himself into one way of playing, so no matter who he's playing with you could swear he's done that same solo or run in a hundred other tunes.
    It feels a lot better to express yourself using your own style which you develop only by praticing what's in your own head, like Ed originally did.
    I consider myself a good player, but not when I'm tapping or hammering, or trying to fit a VH run into a song that it doesn't belong in cause that's not playing as much as copying and it won't make you an overall better player, like pushing yourself to play what's in your own head will.
    I apologize for rambling cause it's hard to get the point across that even though this is the VH Links copping a few of Ed's licks won't impress anyone anymore except maybe the person who's playing them, and in the long run it'll do more damage than good in your overall playing.
    </font>[/QUOTE]let me add to this,
    if wanting to be like Ed is what you want, then by all means do it, don't let anyone tell you it's bad, if your not a pro and you sit in your room and play guitar to yourself or maybe just your dog, who cares ?? but if you want to be an all around guitarist then just copping Ed *won't* do it, as said before he can be an influence but you can still have your own style and not really saound like him, I mean I reall started playing guitar because of .........Ace Frehley, yea go ahead it's ok to laugh but when I was 12 Ace was god, I soon lost interest and then heard Ed and it rejuvinated me, so basically I owe all my guitar to Ace and Ed yet I don't think I play like either unless I try too (and even then )
    Just another view.
    Rol.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm pretty happy with what I can play-I can do the blues, jazz etc so I've found my voice with that. It's just that I've never sat down and worked on tapping.
    It's the weakest part of my game so to speak.
    I REALLY don't want to just copy (rip off) Ed, but he knows his stuff, so it's a good place to start as far as it goes.

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

Speakin of tappin does anyone have the tab too Source of Infection? Cuz i've looked all over the net and i couldnt find it..so if ya got it please help. thanks [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

Thanks Skii! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by SactoFan:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by tribb:
    I couldn't have said it better tribb!! In my band, I can play 6 genres per gig and that has forced me to think like an ensemble player which is a darn hard thing to do. Ed is the showcase in VH and the tunes revolve around him...Taken on its own, it sounds great. Applying Ed's moves to other genres will be a disaster most of the time and you'll run the risk of becoming the WORST thing a band could have...the guy who doesn't know WHEN TO SHUT UP AND NOT PLAY!!

I tap a little and I mostly tap off open strings which I like the sound of...funky scales and such. But playing like Ed has never been an ambition of mine which may sound like a copout until you go back and reread tribb's original post... [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    </font>[/QUOTE]and then again most people aren't in bands and just sit in their room and jam , if copying Ed is all they want to do and that makes them happy go fot it.
    You only need to be a well rounded player if you *want* or *have* to be, meaning you want to be in a band or you just want to sit in your room and want to be well rounded anyway.
    People need to be what they want to be inside themselves, so my advice to everyone is if you want to repeat the opening riff to "You Really Got Me" all night long everynight and that makes you happy more power to ya, if you wanne be SRV every other night and play nothing but " Pride and Joy" more power to ya, if you want to be like no one and play nothing but your own style more power to ya. just note that sitting and doing the same things over will not make a well rounded musician but again if that's not what you want [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Rol.
    Rol.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Currently - Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.28.12 @ 10:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I can't tap very well at all, and aren't really going to try to improve on it.

The reason being that I can see the mountain that you have to climb before you can do it, and then there's the other mountain after that where you have to learn how to incorporate it into a song or solo. And that is where the real genius lies.

I just know that even if I learnt how to do it well, I'd never be able to throw it into a song or solo correctly. It would just sound stupid and out of place so I don't bother.

There's other players out there that are far better than that, so I'll leave them to do it...

"<i>You can please <b>some</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time,<br />And <b>all</b> of the people <b>some</b> of the time,<br />But you can't please <b>all</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time !</i>"<br /><br />(was Dave5150 on <b><i>The Pleasure Dome</i></b>)<br /><br />Check out some of my music at: <a href="http://www.dave5150.com" target="_blank">www.dave5150.com</a>

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Originally posted by tribb:
    I couldn't have said it better tribb!! In my band, I can play 6 genres per gig and that has forced me to think like an ensemble player which is a darn hard thing to do. Ed is the showcase in VH and the tunes revolve around him...Taken on its own, it sounds great. Applying Ed's moves to other genres will be a disaster most of the time and you'll run the risk of becoming the WORST thing a band could have...the guy who doesn't know WHEN TO SHUT UP AND NOT PLAY!!

I tap a little and I mostly tap off open strings which I like the sound of...funky scales and such. But playing like Ed has never been an ambition of mine which may sound like a copout until you go back and reread tribb's original post... [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...