Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: Neck Oil

Last Online

07.24.08 @ 07:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have had my Wolf Standard about 18 mos now and wondered if I should oil the neck.

My local dealer said as long as I'm playing it often (no problems here!) my natural hand oils will keep the neck protected. But there are parts of the neck that my hands/fingers rarely, if ever, touch.

So any suggestions?

Thanks!
    First God - Then Family - Then Money - Then Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Perfect4th:
    I have had my Wolf Standard about 18 mos now and wondered if I should oil the neck.

My local dealer said as long as I'm playing it often (no problems here!) my natural hand oils will keep the neck protected. But there are parts of the neck that my hands/fingers rarely, if ever, touch.

So any suggestions?

Thanks!
    um, tell your local dealer to stick to selling guitars [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]
    your hand oils also include other chemicals that are harmful to that neck in much bigger amounts than the oil, like water and salt, one of the reasons to oil the neck other than protecting it from weather and if you don't play outside there is really only one reason to oil it, that's because you play it.
    so I would oil a neck twice a year with pure tung oil (also called china wood oil).
    hope this helps
    Rol.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Rol! But ...

Should I clean it before before I oil it? If so what would you recomend?

Thanks Again

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Currently - Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.28.12 @ 10:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks Rol! But ...

Should I clean it before before I oil it? If so what would you recomend?

Thanks Again
    Hi there,

I clean my neck everytime I clean the strings with Lemoil. Got it from the guitar shop but can't remember the brand. Just a small drop and rub it into the whole neck.

But then again, my hands sweat like hell when I play, so I really dirty up the neck. However, it cleans the neck up no end and still plays lovely.

I'll check out what the brand name is called when I get back.

Please Note : Do not use lemon oil from a real lemon, this isn't what I mean. I only post this as this is the impression that I got from reading other posts on The Pleasure Dome I think. If I hadn't have asked what they were on about, I may well have been rubbing lemons into my Wolfgang Neck.

I shudder to think....

[img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]
    "<i>You can please <b>some</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time,<br />And <b>all</b> of the people <b>some</b> of the time,<br />But you can't please <b>all</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time !</i>"<br /><br />(was Dave5150 on <b><i>The Pleasure Dome</i></b>)<br /><br />Check out some of my music at: <a href="http://www.dave5150.com" target="_blank">www.dave5150.com</a>

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just a note to add onto Rols post.
    Tung oil is the way to go when oiling your neck, but it also has a sealing quality which is good.
    The only problem is that tung oil will also seal the dirt in. An unfinished maple neck will age when playing anyway and there may be no amount of cleaning that will get it completely clean.
    If you're going to use use tung oil however, "DO NOT" use lemon oil before applying the tung oil, as lemon oil will get into the wood and keep the tung oil from penetrating and drying properly.
    Try cleaning with a diluted mix of murphy's oil soap and give the guitar at least overnight to dry, even after you hand dry it, to allow all the moisture to evaporate.
    Then follow with a couple of light coats of tung oil and it should stay sealed well for 6 months to a year, depending on how much you play, but it won't lose it "wood" feel.
    Tung oil, when applied properly makes the neck feel like it's still bare wood.
    Tung oil is for maple necks only though. Don't use it on rosewood or ebony fingerboards.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Currently - Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.28.12 @ 10:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by tribb:
    Just a note to add onto Rols post.
    Tung oil is the way to go when oiling your neck, but it also has a sealing quality which is good.
    The only problem is that tung oil will also seal the dirt in. An unfinished maple neck will age when playing anyway and there may be no amount of cleaning that will get it completely clean.
    If you're going to use use tung oil however, "DO NOT" use lemon oil before applying the tung oil, as lemon oil will get into the wood and keep the tung oil from penetrating and drying properly.
    Try cleaning with a diluted mix of murphy's oil soap and give the guitar at least overnight to dry, even after you hand dry it, to allow all the moisture to evaporate.
    Then follow with a couple of light coats of tung oil and it should stay sealed well for 6 months to a year, depending on how much you play, but it won't lose it "wood" feel.
    Tung oil, when applied properly makes the neck feel like it's still bare wood.
    Tung oil is for maple necks only though. Don't use it on rosewood or ebony fingerboards.
    Just as a side quote to this post, I only use the Lemoil because I'm sure that was what was said to use on the Wolfgang necks in the Wolfgang Report on the official site.

I wasn't saying don't use any other oils. Just that this is what I have used and have had no problems.

Just thought I'd clear it up in case anyone thought I was being an arse.

[img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]
    "<i>You can please <b>some</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time,<br />And <b>all</b> of the people <b>some</b> of the time,<br />But you can't please <b>all</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time !</i>"<br /><br />(was Dave5150 on <b><i>The Pleasure Dome</i></b>)<br /><br />Check out some of my music at: <a href="http://www.dave5150.com" target="_blank">www.dave5150.com</a>

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey, thanks to all. It's been helpful. I need to restring so now is the time to oil it.

Peace!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey, thanks to all. It's been helpful. I need to restring so now is the time to oil it.

Peace!
    tribb gave my answer dammit [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]
    I agree with the murphys oil soap,
    that is what Ernie Ball says to use for cleaning
    and oilfinished neck and I trust them over what Peavey says any day [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Rol.