Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Unchained (tie)
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I meant to post this two days ago, but I seem to suffer from occaisional bouts of short-term memory loss for some reason. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Tuesday was the 12th anniversary of Stevie's death. Has it really been 12 years since an ill-fated helicopter jaunt robbed us all of one of the most brilliant artists ever to pick up the instrument? Damn...

I still remember seeing him in New Orleans in 1989, an event that would forever change my musical life. Before then, I was a metalhead exclusively, all I wanted to hear was shred, shred and more shred. Don't get me wrong, I still love rippin' it up every now and then, and I still dig Tony MacAlpine, Vinnie Moore, Greg Howe, etc.; but what I learned from watching Stevie was that music should ultimately be about expression and communicating an abstract thought or emotion to a complete stranger with a perfectly placed bend or phrase, that true artistry comes from the heart, an attribute that Stevie had truckloads of. That battered Strat was jacked straight into Stevie's soul, and to me at least, no other player either before or since has managed to so perfectly capture and communicate such a broad range of emotions as he did with such total effortlessness. Ask a guy like Eric Clapton if you don't believe me.

Stevie's music was and remains a timeless and awesome artistic statement whose influence will endure long after we're all gone.

Rest in peace, Stevie... and thanks.

What, me, worry?

Fair Warning
    Last Online

10.23.16 @ 05:25 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts

It is hard to beleive it has been that long. I am from NJ and was visiting San Antonio and was in the Alamo when the heli crashed. When leaving the Alamo there was about 200 people already there with candles for SRV or Clapton. At the time no one knew who was in the one that crashed yet. I ran back to the hotel and turned on the TV and then the bad news came.