Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

does anybody know exactly how ed sets the 4 knobs on the flanger? i'm looking for more than guesses.
    Also, anybody playin' the OLP's. i saw one hanging' on the rack at a store, picked it up and figured right away, this thing is a piece of shit....but for some reason i didn't put it down right away. As a matter of fact, after a few minutes i knew there was something to it. The neck had a killer feel, just the nut was shit...hey, that can be fixed. It was so cheap, i bought it, had the nut reworked, tightened down the trem and took the arm off. there was no way that trem would stay in tune. the repairman went to work on it and handed me a guitar that fuckin kills. hell, i bought a second one. I know what yer sayin, beginner that doesn't know shit...i have a house full of vintage and historic gibsons, custom shop fenders, old san dimas charvels and other vintage guitars and amps, i know my shit. you guys need to try one out after it is set up right. they really are worth playin...they have become my main live guitars and i didn't even have to change out pickups. go figure!

[ January 17, 2002 at 09:55 PM: Message edited by: phase90 ]</p>
    slap the neck on it and go

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

04.18.05 @ 12:25 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I must agree. I got my OLP from Musicians Friend last Friday. It took some work, but I have this thing playing great. As phase90 said, the neck on this thing is great. It's even better if you take some 600 grit sand paper to it. It's not an EVH EBMM, but it's a great guitar for $200.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push Comes To Shove
    Last Online

05.17.17 @ 01:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ahum, there you go [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] (damm, I love these jumpin' bastards). Let's hope the new wolfie's go for the same price. Then I'm a happy poor m'fckr.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I tried an OLP last week, piece of garbage! Sorry, even set up better, it still sounds like styrofoam with a half decent pickup. Think i'll hold out for one of these http://www.peavey.com/events/wintern...qtspecial.html

[ January 18, 2002 at 07:15 AM: Message edited by: SMUDGE NYC ]</p>
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You have a house full of vintage and historic gibsons, custom shop fenders, old san dimas charvels and other vintage guitars and amps, and you bought 2 of these? Come on.
    I was downtown the other day for a different reason, but thought maybe I was too harsh on the OLP so I went into a store here that had 3 of them on display. I played them all. I wasn't wrong. You can change the nut and tighten down the bridge, and then you'd have to change the tuners cause it won't stand up to a night of playing in tune. After playing each one for about 5 minutes fairly aggresivley they weren't even remotely in tune. The neck didn't feel like it would stand up to much abuse either. Of course for 200. you'd probably only play it at home and that might be okay. I'd just hate for anyone to think this is a guitar you can take out and gig regularly with.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Tribb, I've got to agree with you, all those diamonds in his collection & now 2 lumps of coal? Yeah, I have a Mexican Strat, but I'd put this up against ANY guitar & it will still be impressive. if it was just the body cut you wanted cheap, I would have gotten a Warmouth body & built one myself... in fact, that exactly what I plan on doing next month. Buying all the parts now & me & a friend who knows what he's doing (what, I cant change a freakin' light bulb without a damn Time/Life book!) will put it together.
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you want the Unchained flange sound, I can help you. I get it by setting all knobs at about 11 o'clock, but you may have to adjust the speed knob depending on how fast or slow you play it. I've also heard that these are the same settings the guitarist of the Atomik Punks uses. So that makes two of us using that setting that I know of. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by tribb:
    You have a house full of vintage and historic gibsons, custom shop fenders, old san dimas charvels and other vintage guitars and amps, and you bought 2 of these? Come on.
    I was downtown the other day for a different reason, but thought maybe I was too harsh on the OLP so I went into a store here that had 3 of them on display. I played them all. I wasn't wrong. You can change the nut and tighten down the bridge, and then you'd have to change the tuners cause it won't stand up to a night of playing in tune. After playing each one for about 5 minutes fairly aggresivley they weren't even remotely in tune. The neck didn't feel like it would stand up to much abuse either. Of course for 200. you'd probably only play it at home and that might be okay. I'd just hate for anyone to think this is a guitar you can take out and gig regularly with.
    I have no tuning problems WHATSOEVER with these OPLS. I did change the string gauge to 10s and that's it. Trust me , i play very agressively.
    The quality is there, you just gotta find it.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:35 PM
    Liked 11,541 Times in 4,916 Posts

You know what, I just did exactly what tribb did. I was at Guitar Center a few days ago to pick up some strings and they had an OLP there, so I tried one again too. They also had an Axis and an EVH EBMM right next to it and I mean there is literally no comparison. For $200 I guess they're ok, but man they play like horeshit, no offense to anyone who buys one, but for someone who has a San Dimas Charvel, I can't believe you can say OLP is a nice guitar. It plays terrible, the neck is cheap, and I didn't think it sounded even decent and I played it through a Marshall combo that was lying there. Now if that's all you can afford, I understand, but if you want a better instrument, hell a Mexican Strat is nicer and I hate Strats.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am normally knowledgable on just about any guitar that might pop up into conversation but I can honestly say I've never heard of an OPL. What exactly are you guys talking about?

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

wait a sec, is the OPL the guitar that's like an imitation of the EBMM? I've seen those in the $175-$200 range so is this it?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Axe, yes.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

OLP (Officialy Licenced Products) NOT OPL, make knock-off guitars & bass's (sorta like how Carlo Robelli used to, only OLP isn't as good).

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Not to get off topic too much, but speaking of Carlo Robelli, the bass player in my band just bought a pretty nice looking Robelli 6-string bass. Saw some pics, looks pretty nice, have to see how it sounds at practice this week.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Brett:
    Not to get off topic too much, but speaking of Carlo Robelli, the bass player in my band just bought a pretty nice looking Robelli 6-string bass. Some some pics, looks pretty nice, have to see how it sounds at practice this week.
    They are actually decent! My first bass was an old Carlo Robelli Rickenbacker copy. It was a great bass, wish I still had it!