Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.28.08 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't know if this has already been brought up here...probably has, but I just found out about this pickup. I've had several people tell me that the Custom Custom was the pickup that Seymour and Edward worked on together, and then Ed went to Ernie Ball and DiMarzio. However, I believe I have found evidence that the Custom Custom is NOT the pickup that so many have thought it was. On Seymour's Custom Shop page he clearly has on the top of the list the EVH humbucker for 160 bucks. I was browsing through the Plexi Palace and ran across a thread talking about this pickup, so I went to Seymour Duncan to see for myself.

Here's the page Seymour Duncan Custom Shop

Sorry if this has already been discussed.
    Eat Us and Smile...yeah we're still around.

Roth Army Webmaster
    http://www.rotharmy.com

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by BrownSound1:
    I don't know if this has already been brought up here...probably has, but I just found out about this pickup. I've had several people tell me that the Custom Custom was the pickup that Seymour and Edward worked on together, and then Ed went to Ernie Ball and DiMarzio. However, I believe I have found evidence that the Custom Custom is NOT the pickup that so many have thought it was. On Seymour's Custom Shop page he clearly has on the top of the list the EVH humbucker for 160 bucks. I was browsing through the Plexi Palace and ran across a thread talking about this pickup, so I went to Seymour Duncan to see for myself.

Here's the page Seymour Duncan Custom Shop

Sorry if this has already been discussed.
    To my Knowledge the TB\SH-11 was never advertised as the EVH pickup it was just mentioned in an arcticle several years ago as the one he (EVH)hepled design, and supposedly it's the same pickup as the SH\TB-5 only with a different magnet
    and honestly they sound exactly the same to me.
    I believe this custom shop EVH pickup (and I'm sure they will get a letter for using EVH in there advertising) is probably the SH\TB-11 with a higher price tag since they are actually tagging Ed.s initials to it. yea I know I'm cynical but I'm also probably right [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Rol.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I kind of wondered about the initials...but Seymour could always say that it stands for Extra Volume Humbucker or something like that.

Roth Army Webmaster

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I kind of wondered about the initials...but Seymour could always say that it stands for Extra Volume Humbucker or something like that.
    According to his law firm anything music\instrument related that uses "EVH"
    has to be licened and endorsed by him to use it.
    they just havn't seen it or it would have to change, I mean think about it, they stopped a guy from selling 5150 space tape numbers they would not let Duncan use EVH without permission if they knew .
    Rol.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, maybe Seymour has permission to use that...I don't know. At any rate, I wonder how the thing sounds. Someone send me 160 bucks so I can find out.

[ June 09, 2002, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: BrownSound1 ]

Roth Army Webmaster

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, maybe Seymour has permission to use that...I don't know. At any rate, I wonder how the thing sounds. Someone send me 160 bucks so I can find out.
    Just go and get an SH\TB-5 Duncan Custom and save yourself the $100 cause I will bet my left nut it sounds just the same.
    Rol. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

09.08.06 @ 11:08 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i was wondering about em when the whole lawsuit thing came up so i never mentioned em. but they have been out in the public since december. the guy from legendary tones is the first to really bring it out in the open. When he asked about "EVH," he was told it was "evenly voiced harmonics" or something like that. the guys that i know who have em and the other customs say it is a bit different...i'm still wondering about em though...

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I haven't been able to find any specs on it at the SD site so I'm betting Rols is right.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:13 AM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Lots of info on this over at the Plexi Palace board. Sound clips too. It's pretty impressive. I especially like the "Evenly Voiced Harmonics" thing the Duncan rep says if asked about the pickup.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Banned!
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by rolsguitars:Just go and get an SH\TB-5 Duncan Custom and save yourself the $100 cause I will bet my left nut it sounds just the same.
    Rol.
    No, they are not the same pickup.not even close really. The SH/TB-5 is a high output pickup (over 14.2K)

Officially the EVH stands for "Evenly Voiced Harmonics" They can call it anything they like and Mr. VH can't do anything about it. The EVH is not the same pickup as the SH/TB-5. It is a LOW(about 9k) output pickup designed after the original low output PAFs that Duncan would "modify" for Eddie. These are not high output pickups and will get you the original VH sound like no high output pickup can.

Just a FYI.

Regards,
    David

[ June 11, 2002, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: four4for ]

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

09.08.06 @ 11:08 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

isn't the trem spaced version around 9k and the regular one is about 8.6 or so? no matter, i'm still going for this instead of any of the customs.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by four4for:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by rolsguitars:Just go and get an SH\TB-5 Duncan Custom and save yourself the $100 cause I will bet my left nut it sounds just the same.
    Rol.
    No, they are not the same pickup.not even close really. The SH/TB-5 is a high output pickup (over 14.2K)

Officially the EVH stands for "Evenly Voiced Harmonics" They can call it anything they like and Mr. VH can't do anything about it. The EVH is not the same pickup as the SH/TB-5. It is a LOW(about 9k) output pickup designed after the original low output PAFs that Duncan would "modify" for Eddie. These are not high output pickups and will get you the original VH sound like no high output pickup can.

Just a FYI.

Regards,
    David
    </font>[/QUOTE]all I can say is that I have used the Custom and the Custom Custom and they get the sound in the guitars I built and several customer will attest to that, but I have never heard this "EVH" pickup
    so I have no real input there other than 9 or so ohms is what the duncan 59' is and that is nowhere near Eds tone in any of my guitar I tried
    it in but then again the 59' isn't the "EVH" .

What I'm saying in a nut shell is there already is a pickup out there that can get the EVH tone and it doesn't cost $160 and it's one that Ed helped design , it's 16 odd ohms not 9ish,
    and every pickup he has had his fingers on is 16ish ohms plus, the MM and the Wolf both
    and though we don't really know what the old pickups ohmed at we do know they were rewound with more windings so that's an ohm increase.
    man do I ramble or what
    Rol.

Banned!
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by rolsguitars:
    [B]
    What I'm saying in a nut shell is there already is a pickup out there that can get the EVH tone and it doesn't cost $160 and it's one that Ed helped design , it's 16 odd ohms not 9ish,
    and every pickup he has had his fingers on is 16ish ohms plus, Rol.[/QB]
    Actually any decent PAF style will get you closer to the classic VH sound than any "high-output" pickup Eddie has designed be-it with Peavey, Duncan or Dimarzio.

Try an Duncan EVH and tell us what you think.. I think you may have a change of heart.. All of the pickups Eddies helped design, whether with Duncan, Dimarzio or Peavey sound great.. but none sound like an Duncan EVH.. Once you play one you will realize that a 16 ohms Pickup can be a great thing but early VH it is not.

[ June 14, 2002, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: four4for ]