Register
    Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is the first steel string acoustic I've owned in well over seven years...

I've been wanting an ovation balladeer for a long time now, and when I walked into Sam Ash for an SM57 and a stand, it turned into hours...

When I was younger we had a really nice Ovation, a sweet Guild, and a few other top end Acoustics.

I tried out the S771 Balladeer Special first, and kept going back to it. Among others I tried an 1861 standard Balladeer, a Guild, an Ovation 12 string, and a couple Overseas model Ovations.

I was definitely more impressed with the sound of the Special, and that was the end of that. I'm thinking that because it's a mid bowl, it has a more bassy, punching response than the super shallow 1861. But I gotta say, I love this axe, and the neck is velvet man, unbelievably sweet...

Alright enough, just wanted to see what kind of other acoustics everyone else has, and what they think of the Balladeer Special...hasta
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I've found Taylors to be nice.

Too much money for me, and not high enough on the priority list, but they're nice.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've been playing 23 years, only 2 of which I owned an accustic. When I first started playing, since then it's been electric all the way. I fiddled with a few really sweet mid-priced Martins last month, so I'm thinking about getting a Martin now.
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Ain\'t Talkin\' \'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

just the other day i bought an Ovation Celebrity Deluxe acoustic/electric from a friend of mine. If any of you are familiar with Adrian Legg, that is what he plays(and many other artists). I got it for $200 and it in mint condition. i love it.
    Van Halen kicks ass!

Top Of The World
    Last Online

09.26.12 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by homeunit:

Too much money for me, and not high enough on the priority list, but they're nice.
    If you love the sound and feel of a Taylor but don't want to sell the farm to pay for it, try out a Taylor Big Baby.

If you've ever seen one in the store, you probably just laughed and moved on. It's a 15/16 size body, 25 1/2" scale neck. It has a plain spruce top with some laser etching around the soundhole. It's very plain looking and to look at it you would think it to be just your average student guitar. You couldn't be more wrong.

I picked the thing up for the first time just to see if it was playable...I wasn't even in the market for a guitar. As soon as I struck a chord, I was hooked. I walked out of the store with the guitar that day.

This thing has a fuller sound than most top end acoustics. In fact, the guy I do acoustic shows with has a Martin DC-16 GTE, and the acoustic sound is nearly identical.

The only major flaws are:

It isn't well balanced. To compensate for the smaller body size, they took some of the bracing out of it, giving it a huge sound, but at the same time, making the body very light and the headstock very heavy.

Here's the thing I like least about it. The way the neck is attached to the body is unlike any acoustic guitar I've ever seen. It's almost like a bolt on neck as it doesn't have the dove tail joint like most acoustic guitars do. I guess to compensate for the non-dovetail neck joint, there are two screws going right down through the fingerboard at around the 17th fret. I have fretted right on the screws and bent the notes trying to feel the screws, but amazingly, you can't feel them. They don't seem to affect the playability on that fret at all...it just bothers me that they are there.

Anyway, for a list price of around $400 (I got mine for about $300), you can't beat the sound or feel of this guitar. You just have to get over the fact that everybody thinks you're playing a ukelele. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Mark Van Halen:
    just the other day i bought an Ovation Celebrity Deluxe acoustic/electric from a friend of mine. If any of you are familiar with Adrian Legg, that is what he plays(and many other artists). I got it for $200 and it in mint condition. i love it.
    I've never heard of Legg playing a Celebrity Deluxe. I know he plays a custom Ovation, that yes, does have the multi soundhole with the leaf adornments and what not. But I don't believe it's a made in Korea Celebrity Deluxe, not to say it's a bad guitar...
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

GGB
    Last Online

09.20.17 @ 08:12 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've never heard of Legg playing a Celebrity Deluxe. I know he plays a custom Ovation, that yes, does have the multi soundhole with the leaf adornments and what not. But I don't believe it's a made in Korea Celebrity Deluxe, not to say it's a bad guitar...
    Ovation, over the years, has made (and still makes) a long line of similar looking guitars. The differences are huge, but they are mainly in the materials and the structure. From the outside they look very similar. Their site is pretty good about detailing the differences in these instruments. I personally own an Ovation Elite (once again, looking like many of the multi-soundhole versions available) and find it to sound much different than many of the other models. Even the less expensive versions are very playable, except that damn round back is sometimes a pain in the arse live.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Unchained (tie)
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by homeunit:

Taylors are the shit! I'm with you though, too much other shit I need to blow 2 grand on right now, namely an amp, but when the day comes when I decide to drop the hammer on a top-shelf acoustic, Taylor and Larrivee are neck & neck (pardon the pun) on the short list. Until then, my $500 Alvarez will continue to fit my needs nicely.

SBS

[ May 11, 2002 at 10:24 AM: Message edited by: SirBrownSound ]</p>
    What, me, worry?

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

after playing a l'arrive mapletop acoustics i can't touch anything else. very addictive guitars.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

09.20.16 @ 02:59 PM
    Liked 112 Times in 74 Posts

Donor

I'm bumping this one back up because I just bought an acoustic yesterday. I don't know much about the name brands, or prices, etc. But I got an Olympia, I hope I did alright. I used to play a long time ago until all my stuff got stolen. But it is so nice to have my own guitar again! [img]smile.gif[/img] Anyone ever have an Olympia?
    GO PENS!!

"Have fun in Canada, Boomhauer. Don't you dare come back a hockey fan.​" - Hank Hill