Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

09.03.05 @ 06:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm thinking of buying an original 80's Kramer guitar and I'd appreciate some help. Which is the best model to replicate Eddie's sound and feel with, and can they be bought second hand on the internet seeing as I live in London. (US Stores won't be much good to me). Also, just how good are Kramers compared to say Gibson or Jackson?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 11,603 Times in 4,947 Posts

Well if you really want what Ed was playing, try finding an older Kramer Baretta with a hockey-stick headstock, that's basically what his striped jobs were. DO NOT buy those new things that have the Kramer name on them, they are not real Kramers and are pieces of crap. I have never bought a guitar on the net, but I'm sure guys here have and can give you some advice, I have seen lots of Kramers on E-Bay and Yahoo!'s auctions. Personally I would never buy a Jackson, I think they are lousy guitars, but that's my personal opinion of course. I mean the workmanship of an 80's Kramer is as good as anything out there, and the tonal quality of easiness of play is excellent. I still play my '86 Kramer Baretta all the time.

------------------
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

[This message has been edited by Brett (edited August 09, 2000 at 12:35 PM).]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning=Dave 5150=Sammy
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained or Summer Nights
    Last Online

11.09.16 @ 04:17 AM
    Liked 65 Times in 41 Posts

Yeah I have been considering a old Kramer also. Brett how much is a good price for one? I saw an 89' Pacer with the hockey stick or Banana headstock, I think, but it had a ton of pick-up for about $400, and I want one like Ed's with a single humbuckler.

------------------
    IS IT VAN ROTH? OR VAN HAGAR? OR VAN CHERONE? NO MOTHERFUCKER IT IS VAN HALEN!!!!

[This message has been edited by phast (edited August 10, 2000 at 06:30 PM).]

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Go for the Baretta if you can find. Ebay has tons on there right now. At one point Eddie was endorsing these, however Eddie had modified necks that weren't even Kramer. Also, I believe Eddie used Gibson PAF's(classics) for his pups. The Barettas came with Seymour Duncan JB's.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have an '84 Kramer Pacer totally stock and it is one solid, great playing guitar. From '83 to '86/'87 was really the Kramer heyday; most models from here should suffice. I think you're looking for the following: Ash body, maple neck with maple board, Duncan JB in the bridge (the old Schallers that Kramer used were modeled after the JB, so I'm told by an ex-Kramer employee), original Floyd Rose. If you stick to the older Barettas and Pacers you should be OK. Just remember, no two guitars sound exactly alike. My friend has two Barettas from the same year and they sound totally different.

Mike