On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

van halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

eruption
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What should i buy a 5150 I or 5150 II. What cab should i get a marshall what year etc. or should i get the peavey brand? about how much will it cost? Please help me out

crossing_over
    5150 ii

------------------
    I reach across to the other side to make contact with you.You fill my dreams.I wanna tell you,tell me why you´re crossing over...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My Marshall is a '74. NOTHING sounds like the old ones. I haven't played through the Peaveys yet, so I would take Eddie I's advice if you go that direction.

------------------

"Kissing my ass won't do anything but give you bad breath." -sherman

*gulp* - Down In Flames

"Come on FORD, tell us how you really feel." - Said by virtually every member of VHLinks at one time or another.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

get a marshal cab. I Had the 5150 cab, as well as a marshal cab, and there is ne comparison, the marshal is way more responsive, warm, and full sounding. I like the other guys, would suggest an older one as well!

------------------
    Guitar Room player files http://www.freedrive.com/
    UN: vhlinks
    PW: vhlinks

Baluchitherium
    G4
    "back to you, underpants" -Big Red Allan

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.22.10 @ 04:57 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The first 5150 head is still cool , as tone and sound !
    I run my one with a 1936 cab Marshall that i take used from the 80s , cause I think the 80s Marshall cabs sound better than the todays ones !
    That's my opinion ! ... YUNNNKKK

------------------
    Eddie_italian from Italy --- member of the G4

Listen to VHvault.com L.S.D. &
    Tribute Radio
    Member of The Van Halen Vault
    VHVault.com Inside 5150

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Unless you need a great clean channel I would save the $1100 and just get a nice used 5150 head. I have heard that the marshall cabs sound better but I would try both of them out if you have the opportunity.
    Good luck

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If your interested in the new 5150 I suggest you contact Strings-N-Things in Memphis Tennessee.I've purchased two Wolfgang guitars from them and I got a sale flyer from them in the mail the other day, they had the 5150II advertised at 799.00 It could have been a misprint, but it might be worth checking out.This is the toll free number
    1-800-YBA-FOOL

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

van halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks!!!!!!Is the 5150 capable of producing heavey metal sounds such as metallica? Or do
    I need a over drive pedal? I am thinking about getting one of those marshall cabs the re issued old ones. If i want that 80s hairband sound does the older cabs do the trick?

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Before you start buying---be honest. Will you be doing a considerable amount of performing or rehearsing with a very loud band? Or do you play by yourself in your home?
    I ask this because, aside from the money, a 5150 is a BURDEN to those who aren't 'out there', using it. They are big, heavy, and extremely loud; ie they aren't always practical. I own a 5150 (w/5150 cab, which I think sounds BETTER than the Marshalls I tried with it), but since I haven't been performing, I rarely use it.
    Now, if you really need a big amp, the 5150 is fine. It has enough gain for extreme metal sounds, but it doesn't have the harsh, super-scooped thrashy sound. My solution? If you want a Metallica sound from a 5150, put a graphic or parametric EQ in the f/x loop, boost the lows and highs, dump the mids. A metal pedal is NOT needed. However, if you ALWAYS want a more metalish sound, look into the Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifiers instead of a 5150--they have that sound built in.

One last note: while it may seem really cool to own a vintage (read: old and used) Marshall cabinet, consider how long it will last and how much more abuse it will take. Weigh this against the cost (I would pay no more than $150 for any cabinet more than 10 years old, no matter WHAT kind it is). And also never overlook the possibility of a good old fashioned combo amp [there are too many young players who feel they need a half/whole stack to be cool] that you can add an additional speaker cabinet to if needed.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

van halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I will be doing some playing at a battle of the bands contest so i will need something loud. I like edwards sound but man i really love that metallica black album sound. Are mesa boogies more pricey( whats an average price?) And should I get a mesa boogie cab. Wow this hard with all these choices. Can the mesa produce 5150 tones?

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I don't know about the States, but Boogie gear is damned expensive in Canada! It's awesome gear, but it's out of a lot of people's price range, but if you have the cash, go out and try everything in every combination. Also, try some rack gear, (POD, Mesa rack)!

------------------
    Guitar Room player files http://www.freedrive.com/
    UN: vhlinks
    PW: vhlinks

Baluchitherium
    G4
    "back to you, underpants" -Big Red Allan