Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Eruption
    Last Online

07.14.10 @ 09:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've heard that these are great amps if you're wanting a VH '84 type of tone. Is this true? I'm considering buying either a 5150 or a Marshall that comes close to Ed's '84 tone. You know, high gain, warm, but really clean. I know most of your tone comes from the fingers, but you guys know what I'm wanting to know. What are you guys advice on these amps?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've already made my feelings clear on the 5150, so I won't go back there, but you can get a real good tone off an 800 series amp. It might be cleaner than you like, so you might have to drive the preamp harder with a pedal that only increases your gain without adding distortion.
    There are quite a few of those around.
    My marshall's modded so I don't need it for that,
    but I've found the best pedal for pushing only clean gain, is a pedal made by DOD called the overdrive 250. I don't know if it's still being made, but it simply boosts the voltage signal from your guitar to the preamp without affecting the tone or distortion characteristic of the guitar. It uses no distortion whatsover, but boosting the signal is enough to drive the preamp into natural distortion, even at lower volumes. I use it for a blues amp I have and it sounds great. If you want to here what it sounds like on a marshall, listen to Ynwie M's sound. That's right...Wengie. He uses one on a standard marshall. Of course he's crankin it, so that doesn't hurt either. Also, his pickups are much hotter than a regular strat p/u.
    Don't forget that your guitar, and pickup plays a BIG part in the sound equation too.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

5150's suck.

800's are great, I'd also try a Vodoo Labs Sparkle Drive into it, my buddy uses that setup and it sounds great.

My marshall is the same as Tribb's so I don't need that stuff :glouting:

5150's are a real hard amp to work with, try a 5150 with an 800 beside it, that'll let you know real quick [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the info guys, it's much appreciated! I think I'm going to have to check out these JCM 800s a little more. I've heard that Eddie himself used a couple of these back in the late 80s/early 90s. Like I said before, I realize that it's impossible to have an exact tone to Eddie's, but man, I've always loved that 1984 tone. I'm actually putting together a 5150 Kramer replica, made of an alder body with a SD Custom Custom in it. I figured that I'd ask you guys about the right Marshall for the job before I go out and buy something just to turn around and say, "Hmmmm, this didn't quite turn out the way I wanted it to." And I'll have to check on one of those DOD Overdrive 250 pedals. I have a couple of big music stores just down the road.

[ November 08, 2001 at 08:16 PM: Message edited by: bcgvh ]</p>

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

By the way guys, here's some pictures of Eddie's Marshall JCM 800:
    http://www.van-halen.com/cgi-bin/bra...c&f=9&t=000532

It looks like the 1959 Standard Lead model. At least judging by this page it does:
    http://www.marshallamps.com/images/archive/archive.htm

Click on the JCM800 series link.

[ November 08, 2001 at 08:41 PM: Message edited by: bcgvh ]</p>

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yea, that's the pedal. It's a reissue, but based on what it does, just increases the voltage to the preamp to smack it a little harder, a reissue's as good as a vintage. There's no classic distortion tone or any of that crap involved.
    Those heads look like 800 series heads, and the mod would give him the gain.
    If you do get an 800 series you'll want a gain pedal for extra drive at lower volumes.
    The SD custom custom is a great sounding pickup for a lower gain amp like an 800, but it's very high in midtones, and alder is a wood that has nothing but midtones. The combination might not be too good. If you still can, you might want to look for a swamp ash body, which will balance out the pickup nicely. If not, you might want to think about an eq pedal to kill some of the mids, and bring up the top and bottom end, but use it in the loop. Also, if you're using a floyd, try to make sure it rests either on the body, or makes contact with wood in the trem cavity.
    I agree with Homeunit, when he says the fewer effects, the better.
    A gain pedal, and an eq might help to get the sound you're looking for.
    I think I'm just rambling cause I'm tired. [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

not a stupid question

no gain devices go throught the effects loop. you just plug your guitar into them then straight into the front of the amp.

You can get an 800 modded fairly cheaply and easily. There's a few standard mods that they do to them to boost the gain so that may be worth checking out as well.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yup, Homeunit's right.
    As far as pickups go though, the 59 is nothing like the custom custom, although they're both high output pickups. The tone characteristics are very different. The custom custom is a better choice for Ed's sound.
    From what I understand, Ed didn't like the sound of alder at all.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Tribb, I ordered the body from Greg Rogers and I've already received it, so, I'm stuck with the alder body. As far as I know, Eddie's 5150 was made of alder, unlike his Franky, and it had a 'customized' SD '59 in it, which of course was more like the Custom Custom. I am putting an original Floyd Rose in mine, and it will rest against the body. Since that DOD gain pedal is pretty cheap, I'll probably go ahead and get it. And yeah, it looks like Ed's Marshall was a low gain amp that was modded for the extra gain he needed. Like you said, I could run that pedal through it to get that extra gain, and hopefully it will sound just as good. [img]smile.gif[/img] On the gain pedal, would that go through the effects loop, or from the guitar straight into the input? Sorry if this question is stupid or makes no sense because obviously I'm no expert on this stuff.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, I went down to Guitar Center yesterday evening and they said that the Marshall JCM 800 series is no longer made. I don't really care for used gear, so does anyone have any other advice on which Marshall would have a similar sound?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The 800 series were only made in the early to mid 80's for awhile.
    There's nothing marshall makes now that sounds like their older stuff.
    If you don't like used gear you're wasting your time asking about what's better, cause some of the best gear around is older stuff from the early 80's and older.
    Don't take this the wrong way. You seem like an intelligent guy, but you're taking a very dumb attitude toward equipment.
    Don't go by what the guitar center tells you. They want to sell you something, and you can bet it's gonna be expensive.
    A year ago they wanted to give me 1200. for one of my EVH guitars,(which I flatly refused), but when I phoned them 2 weeks later, and asked if they knew where I could get an EBMM EVH guitar, without telling them I was the same guy, the first thing they told me was how rare they were, and if they were able to track one down it would be at least 3000, or more. There's honesty for you.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Tribb's right.

If you want new gear, try a Mesa Boogie Rectofier.

You could also try the new peavey Triple X.

I've never used the Peavey XXX before but a lot of guys love them.

The mesa Triple Rectofier is the best new amp you can buy, but it'll cost ya.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by homeunit:
    Tribb's right.

If you want new gear, try a Mesa Boogie Rectofier.

The mesa Triple Rectofier is the best new amp you can buy, but it'll cost ya.
    <hr></blockquote>

How about a single or dual rectifier? I'm not too familiar with Boogie stuff bit I would guess the triple rectifier is essentially the same thing as the single or dual just with more tonal variation?

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

you sir are correct!

I do think the Triple has a higher gain stage, I may be wrong though.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium