Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

hey bros im thinking of getting a 4 track of off ebay.id like to record some stuff my bands doing. im just wondering how hard it is to use a 4 track recorder ive never used one. to record drums will the kit have to be miked? im not sure of a simple miking technique. we do have a 16 track mixing board and mics too btw. i have a zoom gm-200 amp emulater.so im not worried about the guitar stuff. is there other stuff i need to use with the 4 track recorder? id just like a simple recording set up to make some decent demos with my band. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Last Online

04.24.05 @ 02:20 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can help you but one thing what type of a unit is it ? see you might can use the line out from the unit of your 16 track and use the 4 track as a line in. Thats one way, let me know so I can better help you out.
    Cheers <br />Webmaster of <br /><a href="http://www.vhstrungout.com" target="_blank">www.vhstrungout.com</a><br /><a href="http://www.edward-van-halen.com" target="_blank">www.edward-van-halen.com</a><br /><a href="http://vanhalenradio.com" target="_blank">www.Van Halen Radio.com</a>

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

ive just been looking at the newer fostex and tascam models on ebay. as for the mixing board ill give it a look over to see, its the vocalists s not mine.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Last Online

04.24.05 @ 02:20 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I deal with this stuff everyday so I know something bout them ..what I trying to get at you can mix from you 16 track to the 4 track with no problem you might have to double on the channels say the drums 'the 2 front toms can be mixes as one channel and so on, if you need help let me know e-mail me if you can Ill be glad to help.. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Cheers <br />Webmaster of <br /><a href="http://www.vhstrungout.com" target="_blank">www.vhstrungout.com</a><br /><a href="http://www.edward-van-halen.com" target="_blank">www.edward-van-halen.com</a><br /><a href="http://vanhalenradio.com" target="_blank">www.Van Halen Radio.com</a>

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Back in the El Cheapo days, we did a sleazy demo tape to shop ourselves around to the local clubs.

We had an eight channel mixer and we hooked up a tape deck to that. Ah, the good old days. Since we couldn't mike the whole drum set we miked the kick and put a mike between the snare and the high hat. It worked the best. The idea was to mike it like we'd be miked in a club.

If you want to mike the whole set then you could get an 8 channel mixer and then feed it into your four track.

That's just me and to be honest I'm not up to speed on this stuff so hold out for better advice.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Rick S:
    ive just been looking at the newer fostex and tascam models on ebay. as for the mixing board ill give it a look over to see, its the vocalists s not mine.
    If you've got the money man, I'd go with a digital multitracker instead of a 4 track tape studio. I think Fostex has one out, an 8 Track, which is laid out like a 4track tape, and it runs $299. So you got the simplicity, without the hiss and other god awful problems casette recording presents.

Utilizing the mixer, you should be set with a unit like that.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i can move up to that later. i dont really have 300 clams right now,but i do have the 75.00 they go for on ebay,at least for now.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't know if this is right or not, but I can tell you what I did.
    I had a Yamaha mx12/4 desk and a 1/4 inch teac reel to reel four track which I ran at 15 ips.
    I miked the snare, kick and highhat and ran them through individual channels. I had two overheads on the cymbals and one for the toms.
    I tried to group similar frequencies together, so the cymbals were with the hihat, the toms were with the snare. Try to get a good mix on it all then send the kick to one track the snare to another and the hihat to a third and record them.
    Mix it as best you can on play back and leave it alone for a while (your ear gets jaded after a while) keep coming back and relisten to it...you'll end up changing little things here and there. Add any effects you want to the tracks at this point but don't drown them because once you finish you can't go back and fix it.
    When you're happy with the mix bounce it to the forth track (record the first three to the forth).
    This leaves you three other tracks to record guitar, bass and vocal.
    The big drawback to this was that I couldn't mix the drums in stereo.
    I did the bass next followed by rhythme guitar and put the vocals and lead guitar on the last track.
    If you don't like having vocals and lead on one track you can try to record the bass with the drums when you first bounce them down but again you can't change it once it's done so be sure about it before you commit.
    When you run the tracks back through the board for final mix, make sure you keep the pan on the drum track centered.
    Does that help?
    I used to stuff around with the four track all the time. It's a good place to start because you're forced to pay close attention to everything and you will develope a good ear.
    I should say too, make sure you're really familiar with the machine before you bring the band in to record.
    Even if you do some dry runs just to get used to it, it's worth it. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    The rumor: W.D.F.A-We Don't Fuck Around.<br />The truth: W.D.F.A-We Disregard Fans Abundently

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by sean112:
    I don't know if this is right or not, but I can tell you what I did.
    I had a Yamaha mx12/4 desk and a 1/4 inch teac reel to reel four track which I ran at 15 ips.
    I miked the snare, kick and highhat and ran them through individual channels. I had two overheads on the cymbals and one for the toms.
    I tried to group similar frequencies together, so the cymbals were with the hihat, the toms were with the snare. Try to get a good mix on it all then send the kick to one track the snare to another and the hihat to a third and record them.
    Mix it as best you can on play back and leave it alone for a while (your ear gets jaded after a while) keep coming back and relisten to it...you'll end up changing little things here and there. Add any effects you want to the tracks at this point but don't drown them because once you finish you can't go back and fix it.
    When you're happy with the mix bounce it to the forth track (record the first three to the forth).
    This leaves you three other tracks to record guitar, bass and vocal.
    The big drawback to this was that I couldn't mix the drums in stereo.
    I did the bass next followed by rhythme guitar and put the vocals and lead guitar on the last track.
    If you don't like having vocals and lead on one track you can try to record the bass with the drums when you first bounce them down but again you can't change it once it's done so be sure about it before you commit.
    When you run the tracks back through the board for final mix, make sure you keep the pan on the drum track centered.
    Does that help?
    I used to stuff around with the four track all the time. It's a good place to start because you're forced to pay close attention to everything and you will develope a good ear.
    I should say too, make sure you're really familiar with the machine before you bring the band in to record.
    Even if you do some dry runs just to get used to it, it's worth it. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    This is all for if you want to record individually, if you want to do a live recording (all the band playing at the same time)it's a bit different.
    The rumor: W.D.F.A-We Don't Fuck Around.<br />The truth: W.D.F.A-We Disregard Fans Abundently

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

id like to record live or do individual tracks with each instrument yes. its not just me. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Rick, I've always done all my recording on an old Fostex X-15 (now THAT'S a dinosaur! [img]tongue.gif[/img] ).

To answer your question about the drums -

You HAVE to mike them somehow or they will sound like the lids of trash cans. You may as well use a drum machine if you are going to try and record drums without miking.

Stick one mic on your kick, and another between the high-hat and snare. Play with the placement of the second mic until you get a good mix, because you can't change it later. Then, put two mics overhead (one over the kit toms and one over the cymbals)so you can capture the cymbals and the rest of the kit.

Remember that the mics will pic up any other instruments and bleed them in the mix and make it sound like crud, so it's good to record the drums alone. We used to have our drummer wear headphones and have me play the guitar to him through them so that he could keep time. Make sure the drummer counts off a click so that the other instruments know when to come in on time.

This worked for me very well. If you can't manage this method, and want a more raw live sound, maybe somebody else can help you out.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Oh, BTW - you'll notice there are 4 tracks that I listed there. You need to run the mics through a mixing board and record on to one track. You don't want to have to bounce anything down, because unlike digital technology such as PC recording, you will lose sound quality as you bounce tracks down.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Wolfman:
    Rick, I've always done all my recording on an old Fostex X-15 (now THAT'S a dinosaur! [img]tongue.gif[/img] ).

To answer your question about the drums -

You HAVE to mike them somehow or they will sound like the lids of trash cans. You may as well use a drum machine if you are going to try and record drums without miking.

Stick one mic on your kick, and another between the high-hat and snare. Play with the placement of the second mic until you get a good mix, because you can't change it later. Then, put two mics overhead (one over the kit toms and one over the cymbals)so you can capture the cymbals and the rest of the kit.

Remember that the mics will pic up any other instruments and bleed them in the mix and make it sound like crud, so it's good to record the drums alone. We used to have our drummer wear headphones and have me play the guitar to him through them so that he could keep time. Make sure the drummer counts off a click so that the other instruments know when to come in on time.

This worked for me very well. If you can't manage this method, and want a more raw live sound, maybe somebody else can help you out.
    yeah this is pretty much how i was thinking of doing our recording. so the drums would be mic ed go into the mixing board chanells mix the levels,then out put that into one track of the 4 track recorder? like i said i have an amp emulator like a pod so im not to worried about that.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yep. Because the mixer would allow you to get the kit nice and even. Like I said though, the crucial mic is the one between the snare and hi-hat, since they are on one channel and can't be adjusted apart from each other through the mixing board.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Wolfman:
    Yep. Because the mixer would allow you to get the kit nice and even. Like I said though, the crucial mic is the one between the snare and hi-hat, since they are on one channel and can't be adjusted apart from each other through the mixing board.
    Why not mike them seperatly?