Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all,
    So here's what I'm thinking, since the 5150 combo wont be "in the zone" until about 6 on the on the master volume, I'm thinking that either a power brake or a hot plate might do well at my house so the neighbors wont throw rocks at me. Now here's the problem. The 5150 combo has no place to go between the head and the speakers so... has anyone ever used a power brake through the effects loop ? would this work ? any ideas ?
    Thanks
    Dave

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts

There is a place to throw an attenuator between the amp and speakers in the 5150 combo. The speakers plug in by the power tubes. I'm not sure of the impedance (trying to figure out ohms gives me a headache), but you should be able to do it there. I don't think that using one in the loop would help, although I'm sure someone here has a better answer about that.

Jack

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by coyote:
    There is a place to throw an attenuator between the amp and speakers in the 5150 combo. The speakers plug in by the power tubes. I'm not sure of the impedance (trying to figure out ohms gives me a headache), but you should be able to do it there. I don't think that using one in the loop would help, although I'm sure someone here has a better answer about that.

Jack
    Yep, all you do is unplug the cable connecting the speakers to the back of the amp, then run a speaker cable from that output into the HotPlate, then plug the cable going to the speakers in the the output of the HotPlate. I'm not too familiar with the 5150 combo so I don't know what impedance the speakers are. But it should say somewhere on the amp or in the manual. You'll need to know if you're gettin a Hotplate, as they come in 16ohm, 8ohm, 4ohm, etc...

A Powerbrake or Hotplate will not serve their purpose in the effects loop, they go between the amp and the speakers.