Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

feel your love tonight
    Last Online

11.04.13 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ok guys here's the deal...
    i think i wanna learn to play guitar now...
    i went out looking today, and i can get a wolfgang special in black with a peavey amp that has a generous amount of effects and a 10" speaker in it for about a grand...
    is this a pretty good way to start???
    also, locally i found a peavey "limited exp ssh" and a small, but nice "crate" amp with some great effects, too, for about $600...
    SO... what my questions are to you guys that play are:
    1. at almost 33years old, am i too old to take this up now?
    2. which one of these set ups would allow me t learn and have enough room to "grow" into?
    3. how long can it take a semi-dedicated student to be able to play a little music?
    4. and what advice can any of you guys offer to me to help make me wanna play even more?

thanks for any advice and/or help...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

10.21.16 @ 10:41 PM
    Liked 7,764 Times in 3,266 Posts

Well I normally don't recommend to beginners that they go out and spend a lot of money on equipment, until they're sure they enjoy even playing. The early stages of learning to the play the guitar can be very frustrating, and a lot of people just get angry and give up, and then they've basically thrown money. I still think it's best to learn on a cheap acoustic then move up to an electric. But if you can afford it, and you're not worrying that you are throwing money away, by all means a Wolfie and a little Crate or Peavey practice amp will be great for ya.

My suggestion is to get a book of basic open chords (or look online), and practice them for a while, learning the hand positions, and switching between them cleanly. It is going to take some time and practice to get the dexterity in your fingers to switch between chords, but that's the trick of playing them, practice, pratice, practice. If you get frustrated, put it down and come back to it later. But trust me, if you work at it, it will come!

You are definitely not to old to start playing, that shouldn't even be an issue.

If you practice an hour or so a day, you're gonna eventually get to the point where you can play along with songs, and even figure them out for you own. But it does take a certain level of dedication to be comfortable with hand positions and chord switching.

I always found it best to try to play along with and figure out songs I liked, that seemed to drive me to want to play more and get better. All over the net, you can find guitar tablature for just about any song out there, so once you feel comfortable with your chord-playing ability, jump in and try to play some songs.

This isn't the greatest advice, I'm sure other guys will have other suggestions as well.

[ December 15, 2001 at 04:32 PM: Message edited by: Brett ]</p>
    Webmaster - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Good Enough

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 08:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Dave. Welcome to the links.
    First of all, as long as you can move your fingers, you're not too old to learn. You might be a natural, once you get past the first part of playing, which is learning notes, scales, etc.
    That can be a bit frustrating at first so don't rush yourself. Since you don't really play yet, you don't really know what kind of neck is right for you hand.

You didn't say what kind of amp came with the wolf, so it's hard to say whether it's a good deal, but you might want to see whether you want to stay with it before spending a grand.
    As you get better and your ear gets more educated, your musical taste will probably change, so it's hard to decide what you'll grow into.

if you look around I'm sure you can get a better deal than both the items you mentioned.

As to how long it'll take to to play music, that depends on how high you set your sights, and how much effort you put into practicing, and learning.
    There aren't any easy answers for that question. It's different for everybody, based on your inherant talent, and your ability to learn, as well as your eye hand coordination.
    A good idea might be to get a guitar teacher to start you off with a few lessons. That can knock quite a bit off the frustration level of learning. He or she can show you how to begin and improve more quickly.

As far as your last question, if you need advice as to how to get you to play more, then you might be looking at the wrong instrument, and please understand that's not a put down.
    For the majority of us in here that play any instrument, wanting to play is a natural function, like eating. Even if you're just watching tv, you can still plunk away on the guitar. You might hear a song at work or school, or at home and the first thing you'll think of is how to play that riff, or song. Once you get to your instrument you'll be motivated to play it just because it's in your hands.
    I think some of the best motivation you can get though is to get out and play with other musicians.

[ December 15, 2001 at 04:42 PM: Message edited by: tribb ]</p>

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 06:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My first rig was a $150 used Ibanez and a Peavey Decade amp that someone gave me.......oh yeah and $2 in some picks.....

I played if for a year and sold it for $150 to a guy who played for about 6 months and sold it to a pawn shop for like $50?

I would go cheap.......If you're like me you'll still be playing in 8 years or like my buddy who quit after 6 months. I think a grand is a lot to pay for your first rig. Play something shitty for a year and then make another move.....just my opinion.
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett