Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey everyone, I just started playing in a band and i'm looking to add a guitar or two to my collection...

Right now, i've got a custom Fender Strat with a Floyd Rose and a Dimarzio humbucker...The guitar sounds pretty good and with a lot of playing around i've been able to get some pretty warm sounds out of it (for a strat).

Anyway, I in no way want to copy Eddie's Brownsound, but Van Halen is my favorite band of all time and I love that crunching distortion, so I am just wondering, what guitar should I get next? A Les Paul? A Wolfgang?

I am from Canada and wolfgangs are pretty hard to come by, but I can take a trip to the states to get one if I had to...I am a big believer in Eddie's style of playing in his early days where he'd "strive for perfection through imperfection." something like that..I want a guitar that allows me to go all over the place so I can do some serious riffing, cover some VH, GNR, as well as some newer bands like Weezer/Hives/Vines whatever...

Any opinions on Les Paul's, Wolfgangs, or any guitars that are favorites of you guys would be great...

Also, what does Brian Young use, and how well does he capture VH's sound?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by bizzatch:
    Hey everyone, I just started playing in a band and i'm looking to add a guitar or two to my collection...

Right now, i've got a custom Fender Strat with a Floyd Rose and a Dimarzio humbucker...The guitar sounds pretty good and with a lot of playing around i've been able to get some pretty warm sounds out of it (for a strat).

Anyway, I in no way want to copy Eddie's Brownsound, but Van Halen is my favorite band of all time and I love that crunching distortion, so I am just wondering, what guitar should I get next? A Les Paul? A Wolfgang?

I am from Canada and wolfgangs are pretty hard to come by, but I can take a trip to the states to get one if I had to...I am a big believer in Eddie's style of playing in his early days where he'd "strive for perfection through imperfection." something like that..I want a guitar that allows me to go all over the place so I can do some serious riffing, cover some VH, GNR, as well as some newer bands like Weezer/Hives/Vines whatever...

Any opinions on Les Paul's, Wolfgangs, or any guitars that are favorites of you guys would be great...

Also, what does Brian Young use, and how well does he capture VH's sound?

Thanks in advance everyone!
    here it a guitar that I helped Musicyo with, it rocks, I like it better than a wolfgang.
    http://www.musicyo.com/product_specs.asp?pf_id=984

it's worth the price, if you wanted me to build you one it will be more than that the only thing it lacks is a neck pickup but I'm working on that with them in the near future [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Rol.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

DLR: 1984 Sammy: FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

DLR: So This is Love, Sammy: The Dream Is Over, Gary: That\'s Why I Love You
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hey rol - just wondering how the kramer 1984 compares with the baretta? i own a (new) baretta with 2 quad rail pickups, floating bridge and d-tuna. is the 1984 a bit better? a lot better?

thanks,
    bammo

[ September 07, 2002, 07:18 AM: Message edited by: Bammo ]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Bammo:
    hey rol - just wondering how the kramer 1984 compares with the baretta? i own a (new) baretta with 2 quad rail pickups, floating bridge and d-tuna. is the 1984 a bit better? a lot better?

thanks,
    bammo
    Hi,
    I have not ever played a new baretta so I cannot answer that . I know the one pickup it has is different and will guess that the sound is a lot different, it doesn't have a floating bridge and that changes the sound also.
    Rol.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

RUNAROUND
    Last Online

09.11.13 @ 09:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I PREFER THE OLDER MUSIC MANS MYSELF.NOT THE NEW ONES THEY ARE CHEAPER AND JUST DON'T HAVE THE TONES OF MY OLDER AXIS GUITARS.WHY I DON'T KNOW THEY JUST AREN'T THE SAME TO ME.I SAW BRIAN IN NASHVILLE AND HE JUST RIPPED ON THE GUITAR. I ALSO JUST GOT A VIDEO FROM THE FRESNO,CA SHOW AND HE JUST TORE THE PLACE UP. HE'S GOOD VERY GOOD.
    Give me a bottle of anything and a jelly donut.....TO GO!!!!<br /> DLR 86'

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Rick S:
    first the kramer 1984-jeeeeez they re still sold out! when is the new batch coming in?
    What I know is they made a first run batch to test the waters, then they did it again with the same amount to see if the new wore off and they sold out even quicker, most the reviews that I know of are very complimentary so I'm guessing here they are making a ton of them and it takes a while, I don't think they want them comeint in in onesies and twosies so they are probably waiting for the whole batch, just a guess.
    btw I have no financial association with them I don't get a commision or anything, I truly think it's a kick ass guitar.
    Rol.
    Rol.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Check out my review of the 1984 at my site. www.gearzine.com My review is pretty in favor of the guitar, but it was my unbiased opinion. I knew when the guitar got here that people were a little iffy about them and the price so I had some high standards that the guitar had to pass and it did. One of the best sub-$1000 guitars out there in my opinion. I'm also with Rol, I'd take it over the Wolf Special, especially when they offer a dual humbucker model.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

first the kramer 1984-jeeeeez they re still sold out! when is the new batch coming in? and how much is the price gonna go up now that theyre getting this popular? as for the brown sound-it takes more than just a guitar it has to involve the right amp too. i think a paul would be closer to his old sound. as for brian young i went to the sam/dave show in jersey and brian young was playing a beat up(at least the body paint)green wayne charvel custom with a single humbucker and floyd with mapleneck/fingerboard.(pretty much eds set up). i saw a bunch of marshall cabs on stage but no heads but,his sound was damn close to edwards early sound. as for trying to acheive the brown sound - nothing wrong with that its a great tone if it wasnt none would be trying to acheive it(and a bazillion people are still trying to dial it in)
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:16 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Bizzatch, I would seriously consider having Rol build you something.

Go to Warmoth.com, find all the exact parts YOU want, tell Rol what pickups you like, and let her rip.

If you're not comfortable with that, then you'll want something that is ready to roll off the shelf.

I don't know you. I don't know *precisely* what you want from a guitar. I recommend, however, that you test drive both a Wolf and an Axis. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

You should be warned, though, that both guitars have a glow, and an "aura" about them that makes them so exciting, you may temporarily overlook their narrow tonal possibilities, and run out of the store yelling "Eureka!!!". This is especially true with the Ernie Ball/Music Man guitars. They look & feel like they were touched by God.

I should also mention that the Axis Super Sport has a 5 way pickup selector switch, and 2 tone knobs. I've been listening to some Cream lately, and have found new inspiration to plunk around on my Axis Super Sport, which I've had for less than a year. (I have an Axis Standard, too).