Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.22.13 @ 03:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, I just got done painting and assembling yet another EVH guitar, this time, the infamous Frankenstrat. Below are a couple of pictures of the final result.

I think I'm finally starting to get pretty good at this (Thanks to Rol, mainly). I wish everyone here could play this thing, it's so smooth I can hardly believe it. It's definately coming to my gig this Friday in Columbus, OH, no matter what my bandmates say! (They think I'm crazy) [img]smile.gif[/img]

I took pictures of the entire process after each step. I put them on my web site in case anyone is curious. The pictures are quite big, since I haven't had a chance to shrink them down yet, they are fresh off the digital camera.

Overall I think it turned out pretty well. There are flaws here and there, but hey, it's an Ed guitar! I think if I redid the paint job, I could make it look better, but I think I'll leave it the way it is for now.

http://coolez.net/frankenstrat

Eric

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:17 PM
    Liked 69 Times in 28 Posts

Donor

You did a great job. Out of all the guitars the Frankie is the last one that I want to do. It is basically 2 paint jobs that have to be alligned perfectly with light coats of paint in some areas.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by coolez:
    Well, I just got done painting and assembling yet another EVH guitar, this time, the infamous Frankenstrat. Below are a couple of pictures of the final result.

I think I'm finally starting to get pretty good at this (Thanks to Rol, mainly). I wish everyone here could play this thing, it's so smooth I can hardly believe it. It's definately coming to my gig this Friday in Columbus, OH, no matter what my bandmates say! (They think I'm crazy) [img]smile.gif[/img]

I took pictures of the entire process after each step. I put them on my web site in case anyone is curious. The pictures are quite big, since I haven't had a chance to shrink them down yet, they are fresh off the digital camera.

Overall I think it turned out pretty well. There are flaws here and there, but hey, it's an Ed guitar! I think if I redid the paint job, I could make it look better, but I think I'll leave it the way it is for now.

http://coolez.net/frankenstrat

Eric
    Excellent !!!! there are only a couple of spots but I used to use masks taken from pictures and I had trouble with the same spots when I first started and didn't have them [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]
    Rol.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Beautiful [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] Isn't it amazing how such a crap looking guitar is just so cool??? And then to put a copyright on it?????? Excellent job Eric. I dare you to put it up on EBay and see what you get for it BTW, what kind of pickup you got in there?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 928 Times in 555 Posts

Yeah Man ! That baby looks cool [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    You may think I`m being mean but I`m really just being sarcastic

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

el_jalepeno,

It's a Seymour Duncan TB-5 Custom Trembucker. You should hear how it sounds. So, so sweet. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Eric

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

So Hard . . .
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow Dude
    You did a really great job ! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    How do you know how to make this !
    I want to make one too
    Is it hard ?
    EVH: Definitely. Playing guitar was my sanctuary. It was the one place I could go to if I got fucked around by a girlfriend, or anyone else, for that matter. It still is. If thereís something I canít deal with, I can just spend hours playing. Itís a God-given gift Ė I certainly donít know where the ideas come from. Theyíre obviously given to you, and you have to keep your fingers moving and your mind quiet. I try my best to not think about thinking, so I can just let it flow. Because when I start thinking, forget it. <br />So....why he isn't playing guitar ? ? ?

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

the first six
    Favorite VH Song

All Dave era songs
    Last Online

05.09.09 @ 09:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dude;
    where at in columbus are you playing?I live in columbus.It would be cool to come and check you guys out.especially that guitar.Nice axe [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

stratman5150,

We are playing at Long Street Live, in downtown Columbus. First time playing there for us. We also play at Flannagan's, The Brickyard, and Ludlows before they got rid of bands. We're a Cincinnati band, but for some reason we end up playing in Columbus a little more. Better bars and more money. [img]smile.gif[/img]

If you want to come to the gig, send me an email with your name to coolez@cinci.rr.com and I'll put you and anyone else you want to bring on the guest list.

VanHalen5150,

You asked if it was hard to make the guitar: Yes and no. This is the third guitar I've built and I get better each time. It just takes practice. Also, if you are going to attempt it, ask any questions here. There are plenty of people that are more than willing to help you out, including myself. Oh, and I got the parts from http://www.greggrogersguitars.com . For about $675 after shipping, you can't beat it. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Eric

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 928 Times in 555 Posts

Oh, and I got the parts from http://www.greggrogersguitars.com . For about $675 after shipping, you can't beat it.

I got a kit from them and had Rol put it together and it really sounds nice with the TB-5 pickup .
    You may think I`m being mean but I`m really just being sarcastic

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

I
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow! That guitar is truly stunning coolez. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] To me, this guitar, and ed, when he was playing it in the early 80's was THE essence of cool. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I downloaded all of the pics at your website. It was cool seeing the process of painting your guitar step by step. I think that the series of pics is a good primer on how to go about doing it on you own. Still, I had a few questions about the guitar itself, and the painting process.

First of all, about the guitar:
    1. Is the neck unfinished?
    2. The frets on the neck look to be jumbo, is there any option on getting small or medium frets? I really like the frets on my evh eb mm, and if I'm not mistaken, I think those are smalls...

Also, to Onirb, your 5150 looks very nice as well, especially the fingerboard. It looks like a really nice grade of maple, did you get an upgrade on that or is that the typical maple fingerboard you get on a stock gregrogers kit?

And about the painting process:
    1. What kind of paint did you use?
    2. How many coats did you apply, and if more than one of each color, did you sand it between coats?
    3. What kind of tape is that? It looks like masking, but how'd you get the different widths and the irregular small strips?

Anyways, very nice job guys with the guitars. Ever since I saw rols' old site a few years ago I've had it in the back of my mind that it'd be really nice to get my own franky, and seeing yours really is a kick in the ass for me.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

So Hard . . .
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank You Coolez [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    EVH: Definitely. Playing guitar was my sanctuary. It was the one place I could go to if I got fucked around by a girlfriend, or anyone else, for that matter. It still is. If thereís something I canít deal with, I can just spend hours playing. Itís a God-given gift Ė I certainly donít know where the ideas come from. Theyíre obviously given to you, and you have to keep your fingers moving and your mind quiet. I try my best to not think about thinking, so I can just let it flow. Because when I start thinking, forget it. <br />So....why he isn't playing guitar ? ? ?

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

So Hard . . .
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is the guitar of Coolez :
    This is Eddie guitar :
    Great Job Dude !

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:17 PM
    Liked 69 Times in 28 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by BaconHead:
    Wow! Also, to Onirb, your 5150 looks very nice as well, especially the fingerboard. It looks like a really nice grade of maple, did you get an upgrade on that or is that the typical maple fingerboard you get on a stock gregrogers kit?

Yes mine is a standard Gregrogers kit. It is an unfinished maple neck and I use krylon spray paints.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

So Hard . . .
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You got some pics of it Onirb ?