Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

01.15.07 @ 05:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well being that this site is quite difficult to use now, I've gotten a white screen for two days and had to 'sneak' in here to read the post on the overseas Wolfgang, I missed out on the original discussion. It's closed now, and I'm not sure why cause there were a lot of good points on all sides. Isn't that what a 'discussion forum' is all about?

I have mixed feelings about the overseas Wolfgang.
    Mainly because of the very reaction seen on this
    forum. Peavey has had to work hard to gain respect in the quality department, and now they seem to be moving backward. However, most all guitar companies offer lower end models for the
    people who can't pay $1000+ for a guitar. The
    retail price for the overseas Wolf is at $799, but
    I'd expect them to sell around $500 or so. Sure
    you can get a used USA made Wolf for that, but most companies don't encourage customers to buy
    used, since they get no profit from it. And that's why they are in business. Profit. It's the capitalist way. It's souless, but it's the truth.

I don't see too many people jumping up and down about the OLP Axis, which is pretty much the same concept, except their version is cheaper. BUT the
    Peavey overseas Wolfgang will be a higher quality
    than the OLP, so the price is justified. The buying public should do their homework and understand the difference between USA made and overseas made. Don't buy a cheaper made guitar and bitch about it not being as good as 'the real thing.'

I own 3 Wolfgangs and I love 'em. I got them all at a more than fair price, and have zero complaints. Being that Peavey produces a hell of a lot more of them than EBMM were able to, the quality is not that far off of the EBMM's. Yes there is a little more care and quality in the EBMM's, but Peavey comes damn close at a lot higher numbers. From what I've heard about EBMM now in the present, they're quality is not what it used to be, cause they are trying to keep up and in turn are putting out sometimes less than
    perfect products.

In the end, I think EVH and Peavey are out to make
    a quality product at a decent price. Did anyone really expect a USA made quilt top Wolfgang for
    $799? You get what you pay for. EBMM has the OLP
    Axis, Ibanez had the JEM555, as well as the current Korean made signature models for the people who can't afford the $2000+ versions, Fender has MIM, Gibson has Epiphone, ESP has the LTD, and so on. It's a standard business practice. EVH isn't putting out albums, touring or doing anything as far as I can tell. He needs some form of income to payoff his doctor bills I guess. Being that he said he didn't mess with his money affairs and left that up to an accountant, which is one of the stupidist things I've ever heard, maybe this is a way for him to
    provide for his families future. Don't judge so harshly when you don't know all the facts.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Don't know if I agree with everything you said Trennasol, but you make some very valid points.
    Good post.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'll wait untill they hit the stores before I prejudge. They may be decent. I know the OLP is junk, but these may be ok for the $
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

Banned!
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nice to see that someone besides New Wolfgang (Me) makes sense.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hopefully things will settle down a bit.
    If you're gonna argue about a guitar in any aspect, this is the place to do it, but don't go after someone like a rabid dog, just because of their opinion.
    Although there can be a number of problems with any mass made instrument, the wolf included, I think the problem of the wolf are minor compared to some overseas models.
    Of the wolf standards I owned the only problem I found was that one had a bad setup, which took about 1/2 hour to remedy. I didn't care for the fact that the necks were very different on all of them, but that in itself isn't bad, because everyone that goes shopping for a guitar has a different idea of what a neck should feel like any way.
    The problems that Strangegrey brought up are very valid and that's why I beleive that Peavey charges too much on the standard model.
    There are a very high no. of players that love these guitars though, so there must be a huge no. of good ones made.
    I think the biggest problem is just the very different tone on all the wolfs. I'm not a from the ground up guitar builder, so I can't say for sure exactly why, but from the wolfs I've heard I assume the necks and varying body densities make a difference.
    As far as the new wolfs being made overseas, I think the verdict will have to stay out on that one till more of us here have actually used them under live conditions.
    That brings me to my last point.
    Normally I wouldn't get into this, but we have a poster, Rols, who has his opinion like all of us, and he advertises his co. url in his tag line.
    He's been attacked for his opinion, and he's one of the few who not only builds guitars, but gets a chance to play all types. Now there's a guy I feel sorry for..
    Anyway, he's been blasted for building guitars that look like Ed's and not paying Ed for them, which is rediculous to assume he'd have to do.
    I don't know Rols personally, or have ever bought anything from him, but from things I've read about his work, he builds class A+ instruments, that are nothing but top quality. I've managed to email a few people that have bought his instruments, and no one has a bad word to say about the quality of what they have. I'm under the impression that if you took the stripes off his guitars you'd have an instrument as good, or better than just about anything out there, and would probably last you a life time under extreme coditions. I figure that gives him the right to critisize Ed for putting out an inferior overseas product, "if" that's what it is.
    I could go on babbling, something I'm good at, but I hope things can get back to normal so we can go after guitars, and not each other.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Guys, I don't know dick about guitars, but I found a few things interesting in that thread.

First, Eddie isn't selling people guitars. Peavey is selling guitars, and Eddie is selling his name to Peavey. If the quality suffers, both of their names will suffer.

Tribb, you're comment that perhaps EVH's deal with Peavey is up is an interesting one. If Peavey holds the rights to produce guitars with EVH's name, they've probably got a time-based contract on that. If both sides know that the deal won't be renewed upon expiration, than it behoves Peavey to exploit that name as much as they possibly can. Slapping it on overseas guitars of lower quality is one way for them to do that. Eddie may not like it, but that's what happens when you sell your name.

No promotion for Ed or new products at NAMM would further this theory, wouldn't it? That Eddie doesn't plan to stick with Peavey.

There was a rumor a month or two back about Ed and Peavey planning on splitting ways. Ed was said to be going to Kramer. Anybody else remember that?

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Originally posted by MikeL:

There was a rumor a month or two back about Ed and Peavey planning on splitting ways. Ed was said to be going to Kramer. Anybody else remember that?
    I remember hearing about a resigning with MM
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

06.05.17 @ 08:59 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Folks,

I doubt that's going to happen (Ed go back to MusicMan or Kramer)...

One of the things Eddie learned when the Music Man deal went south, was that he couldn't walk away with his guitar and have Hartley Peavey make it. Which is something that Ed wanted to do. Instead, Sterling Ball released the EVH as the Axis with a few minor changes and is still reaping the benefits of signing Eddie, even with Eddie not being a MM endorsee.

When Eddie signed with Peavey, he made sure that he owned EVERYTHING. From the patent on the headstocks to the patents on the pickup designs to the frigin manufacturing process.....

If Ed leaves wolfgang, you might see Ed take the wolfgang with him....

and Peavey will fall apart about 6 months later...

-Frank

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by strangegrey:

-Frank
    doubtful. Peavey survived before Ed, they'll survive if Ed walks. don't ask me how, but they will.
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Originally posted by twonabomber:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by strangegrey:

-Frank
    doubtful. Peavey survived before Ed, they'll survive if Ed walks. don't ask me how, but they will.</font>[/QUOTE]well peavey seems to be diversifing their line. The Triple X amp comes to mind. I'm sure if Ed's leaving, they've had plenty of time to develop new products etc.
    You have to think that wolfgang (minus Eds cut) can't make them fistfulls of money. If Ed leaves they'll be just fine me thinks.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Heartly Peavey's alway been a shrewd businessman.
    I don't think the company would fold on the basis of Ed leaving.
    I can't see him ever going back to kramer either.
    He never seemed to give the company a second thought or good word once he left.
    When he left EBMM it was on bad terms, and it sure wasn't about not making enough of them. He lost out by not owning the patents on the guitar he designed. I understand things are patched up now, but this OLP line they've licensed can't be making Ed happy, or in a hurry to come back.
    Lke Strangegrey says, he sure didn't make the same mistake when he signed up with peavey, but peavey might have the right to market the wolf in any form they want. That "could" be why the overseas model has come out. Ed might have no say in it as long as it follows the original design for body, and neck shape. Ed may own the license on it, but Peavey might have the right to sell it. I know, I'm just grabbing at straws, but the custom shop has been on hold for a long time, and now a cheaper version of the wolf comes out of nowhere.
    I've heard that the peghead is 6 inline like a strat, unlike a redular 3 to a side wolf peghead, but I haven't seen it so I could be wrong there too.
    Has anyone actually seen a full body and neck shot of one of these things.
    If Ed winds up playing one live to push them to the public I don't believe for a minute, that he'll use the Korean made p/u's.

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've owned a Korean made Jackson DX2, basswood bod with a maple top, for about seven or eight years now.

The only major problem was a bad ground on the input jack, and that was only a few years ago. Unfortunately the volume knob has neglected to be my friend for the better of 2-3 years and refuses to stay on their, no matter how good I tighten the screw. New knobs and lok tight, is how I foresee his future.

In my opinion it is a good sounding guitar. No it is not a Brian Moore C-55, or a EBMM EVH. Not by any means. But it sounds good to me, and it gets the job done for what I want it to do. So I should loathe this guitar because it's made in korea? No, I loathed the prices of it's US counterparts.

Like I said in another thread, this defies Eddie's earlier statements, but what the fuck? The guy is a world champ hypocrite, love him/hate him, Eddie Van Halen has no shortage of time in the field of hypocrisy. Now, I can't chastise the guy for deciding to do this, if the quality of the guitars remains true(if it was his decision), just because he changed his mind.

A shitload of our regular consumer products, especially electronics are made overseas. No fuckin way around it. On the other hand, not counting stop tail options, there are already three fucking Wolfgangs:

The Standard, The Special, and The Special Flametop? Why not keep making all of the shit in the U.S. The special is already an affordable quality instrument, without a quilt maple top, it is made in the U.S. I don't know guys. I have really mixed feelings about this, because it just doesn't seem plausible, when you already have three options. I'm kind of in the middle of the road on this one...
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nice thread....

glad to see it's staying clean! [img]smile.gif[/img]

As for what would happen to Peavey if Ed left...I think they would suffer and hard.

Keep in mind, Peavey doesn't make any money from the wolfgang. From what I understand, Hartley is either just breaking even or even taking a loss...but the reason he makes the wolf, is because with Eddie Van Halen as an endorsee, puplic perception of his companies quality is greater. It happened when they started making the 5150 amp. So Hartley couldn't turn up the chance to bring Ed on for guitars.

I dunno about this International Wolf...it could very well be a sign that Ed is leaving Peavey. Frankly, I'd like to see him go back to Music Man...everyone knows my opinion on the EBMM's.

Regardless, if the headstock is different than the american made wolf...I think that it'll sell like crap. One of the reasons why Fender sells so many Mexican Strats is because the Mexican strats look so close to it's american big brother.

Last Online

03.29.06 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Interesting thread.
    I especially like the lack of references to someone's mother's twat!
    I have two questions:
    1. Tribb, when you talk about the differences in Wolfgangs, are you talking Standards vs. Standards or Standards vs. Specials?
    2. If Eddie left Peavey, couldn't they do something similar to what EBMM did with the Axis? Maybe a slightly different body shape, slightly different pickups, etc. - just enough changes to avoid patent violations. Seems logical to me.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Depends on the licensing agreement with Peavey...

-Frank