Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Okay, I've got a shitty strat style electric guitar that I'm thinking of pulling all the electronics out of (pickups and all), but I want to be able to them back in eventually even though I almost never play it through an amp. My plan (theoretically) is to leave everthing attached to the pickguard so it's all in one piece.

Anyway, as far as I can see, all of the wires and stuff will come out in one piece except for one wire that runs from one of the tone knobs, through the body of the guitar, and into the back of the guitar where it's soldered (sp?) to the metal plate that the tremolo springs attach to.

1. Any idea what that wire is specifically?

2. If I pull that wire off of that metal plate, will I be able to solder it back on there later, or is it more complex than that?

Thanks. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

1. That wire is your string ground; it goes from the back of the pot, not one of the lugs. If you are plugged in, you may notice that some noise goes away when you put your hand on the strings, but returns when you stop touching the strings. That is normal, and shows that the ground is wroking properly.

2. Yes, you should be able to solder it back onto the plate, assuming you have a nice glob of solder there in the first place. Just hold the hot iron on the point where the wire connects, and gently tug on the wire when the solder melts, and pull it away. When you go to re-solder it, it is a little tricky; you need to melt the glob of solder already on the plate (add more solder if you have to), and when it's molten, put the wire into the solder (make sure there's wire exposed and not just insulation) so that the wire is connected to the solder.

It's really not all that hard, and if you mangle the wire trying to do it, you can replace it with damn near any piece of wire, since it's only a ground, and therefore doesn't carry your signal.

If you need any more help, this is the place to ask!
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Perfect Abe, thanks. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I can't do this until the weekend, but I'll jump back here if I need any further help.

I'm not too worried about screwing it up because I hardly ever play it amplified, plus the electronics of the guitar are pretty screwy anyway. The pickup selector has 5 positions, and it constantly cuts in and out of the signal if you touch it (the pickup selector) at all, and often even when you don't. I've thought about having the whole thing gutted (electronics-wise) and having it all replaced. Any idea what that would cost (ballpark of course for pretty run of the mill stuff)?

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Pickup selector switch: $10-$15
    Pots (x3): $10-$15
    Output jack: $5
    Hookup wire: $3
    Pickups: $60-$150

Feeling of having it all work: PRICELESS

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

That was good Abe....classic. heh heh. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Glenn, just one point that wasn't mentioned.
    The pickguard attachment will come out in one peice once you desolder the ground wire from the trem claw in the back. A big problem with soldering a trem claw is that there's so much metal that although the solder sticks it causes a cold solder joint which looks good but can cause a ground problem. Just heat the solder on the trem claw enought to pull out the wire. That way when you resolder it the solder is already well fastened to the claw, and you just have to heat the solder enought to get the wire to hold.
    The thing is, you mentioned that it's a strat "style" guitar, meaning that the pickguard might be slightly off placement from a true strat pickguard. It might be exact to your eye, but the screw placement around the edge might be different, or the pickguard might not match the fitting at the base of the neck, so if you're shopping for a new pickguard you might want to bring your old one just to make sure everything matches up.
    Also, it sound's like your pickup selector may just be dirty, or making poor contact from lack of use. You can try spraying it with a solvent contact spray, and then move the switch back and forth quickly a number of times. Do this 3 or 4 times and if it still cuts out then replace it. If your big problem is the pickup selector, then once you have the pickguard removed take it into a store with everything still intact and they can match up your p.u. switch in case it's not a true fender switch. A lot of them look different and have different wire configurations. You can resolder it yourself, or they'll do it for a few dollars. It could make your sound 100% better.
    Good luck bud.

[ May 18, 2001 at 07:02 AM: Message edited by: tribb ]

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

alot of places sell pre wired harnessed pick guards..like stewmac and torres engineering.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Thanks tribb. I feel like I just walked into an exam that I didn't study for (you can make that comparison when you've been down that road a time or ten [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]).

The only part of the pickguard that's left is the small part that holds the selector and the volume/tone knobs. The pickups are screwed right into the body of the guitar.

Three guesses why I'm doing this, and the first two don't count. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just ripp'er apart and have fun Glenn. If there's anything you're not sure of just make a diagram so you can follow it later in case you decide to put it back together.
    A lot of the fun is seeing what you can come up with. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member
    I'm obviously out of my league in this thread Glenn, but you might consider buying a book called "the guitar handbook." It can walk you through everything from building one's guitar, to simple chord diagrams. I hope that helps. Probably not I'm sure, but it's worth a shot. Out.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Or try www.guitarnuts.com

I just stumbled across it a little while ago, and they have some diagrams for ya.

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Well it's all ripped apart now. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

I left a bit more of the wire behind than I intended because my Dad's old soldering gun is older than I am. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Now I can commence sanding this thing. I was going to paint it like the Frankenstrat, and I still might, but the wood underneath the paint looks really cool too. Oh well, I'm months away from that decision. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Aw...come on Glenn..be a trooper-go to Radio Shack and buy a new soldering iron. For about 15 bucks American (i don't know the conversion rates) you get a decent 40-watt iron. Soldering guns are dangerous tools when working with guitar electronics. Always remember, you want to get on and off the parts with the iron as quickly as possible to avoid burning anything up.

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Well, looks like the soldering was the least of my problems. This guitar has (had [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]) a real cheap (notice I use the word "cheap" a lot?) non-floating tremolo system, and I hadn't had a whammy bar in it in years. So I put one in, pull it down slightly so that I can sand underneath the tremolo, and it breaks. The part that the whammy bar goes into, which threads through and attaches to the part in the back of the guitar, just tore right out where it was threaded. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

On the plus side, my wife gets extra points for not saying "I told you so". At least not yet! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

From what you're describing it sounds like the trem claw in the back cavity of the guitar ripped out. If that's the case, get some hardwood dowel, and a drill bit to match. Drill the holes where the screws were, cut the dowel to be just a bit longer than the depth of the holes, and after putting some wood glue around the dowel tap it firmly into place with a rubber mallet. Then cut the dowel so it's flush with the body and after waiting at least 48 hours for the wood glue to set, redrill the holes with a bit smaller than the screws thread. Soap the screws with a tiny bit of hand soap so they go in easier and try it again.
    If you're talking about the trem post on the guitar face that the trem rocks back and forth on, that's a bigger job but basically done the same way. Just make sure the posts are even so the front of the trem is exactly parallel to the nut on the neck. If the posts are off slightly then the pressure on the trem claw will be uneven, forcing one side to work harder and your intonation will be off as well.