Register
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

06.24.15 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The local guitar tech here in lewisville, Tx where I live told me that Vai and Malmsteen use this type of fretboard. He said it changes the pitch of a fretted note. There are actually grooves in the fretboard he went on to say. What is this scalloped fretboard? A co-worker of mine said it made Malmsteen appear to play faster.
    "Well, he's an intelligent, well-read guy. But it's like he can't connect the dots somehow." (EVH Guitar World, March 1998).

GP: "Did you use a pick for "Spanish Fly"?

EVH: "Yeah, except for the part near the end that sounds like Montoya or something."

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by TheCaboKid:
    The local guitar tech here in lewisville, Tx where I live told me that Vai and Malmsteen use this type of fretboard. He said it changes the pitch of a fretted note. There are actually grooves in the fretboard he went on to say. What is this scalloped fretboard? A co-worker of mine said it made Malmsteen appear to play faster.
    Well first off IMO a scalloped fretboard is a night mare to play, but what it is are concave scoops in between each fret, the idea being it takes a super light touch to play a note and it does, the draw back is that you have to fret the note the same way all the time or it will sharp\flat depending on your touch, Malmsteen had his entire neck scalloped Vai just had the last 4 frets done.
    They have been out there for a long time and if they were really good they would have caught on by now but they havn't cause they are a pain in the ass, you can liken it to having your string height to high at your nut the harder you push the more sharp it goes, well imagine that on your entire fretboard.
    Rol.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:17 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Aha. Rol is back.

Hey Rol, at Warmoth's website, they insinuate that having super tall frets has a somewhat similar effect on your technique compared to scalloped frets.

I never really noticed how much I have to "dig in" on the upper frets on my Axis until I went into a store a couple weeks ago and played one of the newer Strat Standards.

It was considerably easy to get a loud sound from hammer ons, bending was easier, and cross picking between strings (think: Hot For Teacher) was easier.....alhtough that may have been due to the greater string spacing.

What's your take on that? How tall do the Axis's frets rank compared to say, your average Strat neck (if there is such a thing).

Now, back to the topic of scalloped fingerboards:

I certainly wouldn't want my whole fingerboard to be scalloped, but on a guitar like the Axis, I do wish I were bold enough to have the 12th fret and higher scalloped.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Majestic:
    Aha. Rol is back.

Hey Rol, at Warmoth's website, they insinuate that having super tall frets has a somewhat similar effect on your technique compared to scalloped frets.

I never really noticed how much I have to "dig in" on the upper frets on my Axis until I went into a store a couple weeks ago and played one of the newer Strat Standards.

It was considerably easy to get a loud sound from hammer ons, bending was easier, and cross picking between strings (think: Hot For Teacher) was easier.....alhtough that may have been due to the greater string spacing.

What's your take on that? How tall do the Axis's frets rank compared to say, your average Strat neck (if there is such a thing).

Now, back to the topic of scalloped fingerboards:

I certainly wouldn't want my whole fingerboard to be scalloped, but on a guitar like the Axis, I do wish I were bold enough to have the 12th fret and higher scalloped.
    Yes tall frets are easier to fret, Ed supposedly liked the tall frets but I don't consider the EVHMM or the Wolf as tall IMO, dunlop 6105 fretwire is supposed to be tall and thin although I think they are thin they don't feel tall to me,
    now dunlop 6100 is my fav it's big and what I feel is tall, really easy to do Eds tapped harmonics and hammers etc etc and as for the scalloped thing, I've owmed several Jems and I could handle the last 4 on the fretboard being scalloped but that's about it but also I can do with out it at all, I'm just not a big fan of it
    but that is just me and my opinion
    Rol.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Um, doesnt the guitar start to really stink after a while? I mean, scallops, as most shell fish, dont really keep all that well.. [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is it true that McLaughlin and Blackmore had scalloped fretboards on their guitars before Yngwie? I know that this is an almost historical technique in terms of luthiery, and how old scalloping is.

But in terms of guitar, I've heard references to Blackmore before, but only references to McLaughlin on the Warmoth site. I appreciate both as guitarists and musicians, but definitely not a huge Blackmore fan...
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:17 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

I think the angle Warmoth was taking on Blackmore's playing, was that he's famous for his Vibrato, and (according to Warmoth) vibrato (among other things) is much easier with a scalloped fretboard, or with super tall frets.

I don't know whether Blackmore actually had a scalloped fretboard, but there separate pictures of Yngwie and Blackmore side by side, and they both had almost identical strats, IDENTICAL poses (one leg bent, the other outstretched WAAAY out to the side), and identical hand motions.

In other words, Yngwie worships Blackmore (which is fine).

Also, he seems to spew hatred for Steve Morse every time an interviewer asks him why he never gets the Deep Purple gig, and Morse does.

Nothing against Morse.....he's probably a better HUMAN to be on tour with, but Yngwie probably could do quite a job in that role.