Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My Crate BV-6212 has never had the tubes replaced. It's about 4 years old. It gets used a fair amount, not a whole lot. I've read in the owners manual that the stock 6L6 tubes can be replaced w/ EL34's to give it a more "British" sound with sooner/more controllable distortion. I interpret this to mean a more "Marshall" sound, which is what I desire. Also, it has a noticeable hum that won't balance out with the little pot on the back of the amp. Any ideas? Possibly pre-amp tubes? Maybe power tubes? All of the tubes are easily accessible, how dangerous is it to replace the pre-amp tubes? It also says that the power tubes bias automatically. Do the pre-amp tubes have to be biased? I'm a pretty bright guy & have my share (and someone else's) of common sense and am right handy w/ most anything if I've got a little decent insight, I've just never done this before. Any comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance!!
    "Nothing is fool-proof for a sufficiently talented fool."

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Preamp tubes don't need to be biased, but since you have to take it to a technician to have it changed over to EL-34's you might as well have him take a look at it.
    There are a no. of things that can cause the problem you mentioned, and an amp has some very high and dangerous voltages so don't go pokin around back there if you don't know what you're doing.
    Power tubes, and power tube sections do "not" bias automatically. Don't even attempt to put el-34's into a 6L6 socket without having an amp tech redo the cicuit for the new tubes.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Listen to Tribb! He knows what the f#ck he's talking about. For complete safety, take it to a tech. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You guys rule!!! Thanks for the info. BTW, what is a reasonable charge for swapping tubes?
    [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "Nothing is fool-proof for a sufficiently talented fool."

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For your preamp tubes you can just pop a new one in after taking the old one out.
    For the power section, if you're just replacing the same type of power tube, and a simple bias adjustment, it's usually around 25., not including the cost of the power tubes.
    If you want different tubes, like a 6L6 to EL-34 conversion, then he has to go in and make some modifications. Some techs charge by the job, others by the hour, and there's no hard and fast rule to their charging fee. If you take it in, some techs will check it out, or have a look for free and give you an estimate. Others will charge you a few dollars for their time to open it up to se what has to be done, and then take that off the final fee when the job is completed. It's not an extensive job to a tech who knows what he's doing, and a good one will be able to give you a pretty fair estimate just by looking at the model, or the schematic if he has one. The conversion shouldn't take more than an hour, including reassembly and biasing.
    I wish I could be more precise in what I think you'd be charged but all techs are different in their price structures, so your best bet is just to take it in, and let the tech have a look.