On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

van halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

eruption
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ok iam thinking about getting the digitech 2120 artist VGS Guitar preamp. what is a preamp...would I still need to buy a head , sucha as a jcm 2000 head or something or do I just need a cabinet? also whats a good preamp with good distortion and gain one that can sound like halen first album but be able to have modern heavey tones....from blues-rock and modern metal. Check out the digitech thing and see if its any good. I hope it can get close to that boston sound..any way so what is a preamp and would I need a head too?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

EVH, a preamp is the first part of the "amp".
    It delivers a low voltage line signal to the power amp section of the amp, which in turn boosts the signal to the required volume to push the speakers. Ususally the preamp stage is where all your distortion and effects will be put in a unit like the one you're talking about. The power stage of the amp plays a part in distorting the speakers as well, but that's usually more as a result of volume(pressure), directed through the speakers, and the breakup characteristics of the power tubes.
    You'll definetly need a power amp with the preamp, unless it has a headphone jack for your own listening. By itself there's no way it will push a guitar speaker enough to play through. I'd recommend a power amp that's tube driven for a warmer sound. There are a no. of companies that make good power amps, marshall, and mesa boogie are 2 that come to mind, and make excellent power amps. Your speakers also play a very large part of your sound setup. Your preamp will sound different, depending on what speaker cab you use, the type of speakers, the no. of speakers, whether it's open or close backed, and the volume you're pushing them at.
    It may sound a bit confusing but a lot of the fun is in the experimenting, so take the unit you were refering to and try to use it through as many amps as you can at your music store. Good luck.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

What Tribb said!

If you can afford it, this is the unit for you! http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_In..._2_ninety.html

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Now that's a MF of a power amp.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:06 AM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Yes it is!

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

van halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

cool so the 2:90 is what I would need. So I could get a 2:90 a cab and a poweramp? The mesa boogie triAxis looks like the coolest thing ever made ...check out the reviews at harmonycentral wow.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I tried the tri-axis last week, and it sounds like a pre-amp if that makes any sense to you.

I'd go for a POD Pro

or if you want to save a few bones go for this!
    http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_In...rectifier.html

these absolutely rule! IMHO

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

van halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So does that mesa boogie head have great sound? I would hate to buy it with out hearing it...since all the music stores here dont carry any mesa products. Please explain the sound can It get modern metal but classic brown sound?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The mesa triple rectifier head is an amazing peice of equipment. After homeunit made me aware of them I went downtown to a store in town that carries them, and was floored. But they carry a very large price tag, and if you're just starting out that's a lot of money for a head only. Remember you'll need a cabinet as well. If you can afford it I can't think of a better unit, but it won't make you "sound" like Edward. Your hands have to do that. I gotta tell you that it has an incredible tone to it though.
    I think you should take Homeunit's advise and get yourself a POD for now. You can use head phones, or play it through a small, or large amp, and still get some great sounds. It does a better emulation than any other solid state unit I've heard, including the mesa boogie, and high gain marshall sounds, including the brown sound, and it also sounds good with pretty well any guitar you play through it.
    I use a specially modded marshall head, and have recently been experimenting with a line 6 flextone head that I was really impressed with. Played through my old greenback cabinet it sounds great, and with some tweaking can almost do a dead on imitation of my marshall. Plus the line 6's built in effects are really good eliminating the need for pedals. Tubes can be very expensive as well, and like light bulbs, can blow at all the wrong times. I'm going to try the head for a couple of live gigs in different clubs over the next couple of weeks, and see how it performs.
    What ever you decide, it's good to see you taking this kind of interest in your sound. I can see your serious about your tone, and I'm sure you'll find it, even though you might have to experiment a bit before your ears are happy.
    That's part of the fun though, isn't it.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

EVH, I forgot to mention. I used a 2120 preamp for awhile, and although it's got lots of bells and whistles for a preamp, I still think the pod blows it away for sound, and the pod's much easier to use.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I've tried pretty much all the new and old pre-amps out there, and for the dollar you can't beat the POD in sound and flexibility. The tri-axis is an older unit and while it sounds ok, it doesn't have the technology of todays modern preamps.

As far as price goes, the triple rectifier (head) can be had for $1600-$1800, which isn't cheap but IMHO it is the best, most durable and versitile head out there. You'll need a cab, but with a little hunting you can a good cab cheap.

If you where to buy a POD Pro, that would run you $600-$800, and then you need a power amp for live applications. The Mesa 2/90 (which is IMHO the best guitar power amp on the planet) will cost you $1800, and then you still need a cab, and a pedal board for switching. Peavey power amps are a little cheaper, but your still looking at $1000 for that.

So your purchase should depend on what application you plan to use your gear for. If it's live playing, I would suggest the triple rectifier setup, (but only if your serious), it's expensive but it's the best!

If your wanting your setup to work for home practice and home recording applications, then the POD Pro route may be your best bet. You can get great tones from it and DI record effortlessly. The Triple Rectifier would not really work in a home situation as there're loud enough the wake Elvis

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

van halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow the new mesaboogie looks awesome. Iam planning on doing some gigs and shows in the near furture. people say are band has great potential. i have a smaller crate which use for home use and recording...so I guess the mesa is the best thing. So which mesa should I get, the one you should me? Man I cant wait...Iam savin up the money for the mesa...Also does it matter what cab I get would a mesa cab sound good or would a marshall cab sound good?

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

The Triple http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_In...rectifier.html if you can afford it, and yes a good Marshall cab will do just fine.

With the triple you have 3 channels so you can go from crystal clean to tear your head off with a step of a button.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The flextone head is powered, and will give you anywhere from 60 to 300 watts output, depending what ohm cabinet you use. the price is around 900-1000. for the flextone II head.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

van halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What cab should I get ...which mesa boogie cab or which marshall...i want to get a high quality one....one that is the best just like the mesa head..