Register
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know a lot of you are not fans of the cheap Steinbergers available on the internet, but I think it would be pretty cool to have one of these headless axes.

Would you suggest getting the real small body one, or the larger body style. I am not sure what the different models are called, but I think you guys know what I mean......

Anyone heard any good or bad things about these cheap axes? I am just looking for something to bang around on and to let my 2 year old son also bang around on......
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have heard good things about all of them, even the cheapies! I considered buying one a few years back, but it never materialized. The ones I've played have all been pretty good. Not up to the level of the 'good ones', but decent guitars anyway. I particularly prefer the broom-shaped ones; to me they are the epitome of a COMPLETELY 'modern' instrument. It's kind of a shame they never quite caught on like they could have, but then again, I went to Strats, so I didn't help their cause at all. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Maybe someday I'll get one, when I've got some $$ to burn on myself. But, from the ones I've played, even the cheaper ones are decent instruments, even if they are a little goofy to play sitting down. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree. I played one of the cheaper korean models last week at a music store, and I was impressed. Had 2 humbuckers and a single coil in the middle. The whammy locked in place well, and floated well, and after about twenty minutes of stretching and playing with the whammy it remained in tune. I can't remember what model it was but it started with an S if that helps.
    I'd say it's a good deal.

Now I remember. It was called the Spirit.

[ July 12, 2001 at 07:27 PM: Message edited by: tribb ]

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I used to have one about 7 years ago. It was one of the more expensive ones. My bandmates swore it sounded as good as my Musicman. I didn't agree. I'll tell you though, that thing hardly ever went out of tune and I played the hell out of it. It had a regular Strat body and was headless. It was a darker red too. It played well but was a little too perfect and stiff for me. Too futuristic for my taste.
    America's Team...The Green Bay Packers!<br />12 Championship Titles For The Packers And Counting...<br />"Depends What We Do". EVH 2001<br />VH R.I.P. 1978-1996

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All of em
    Last Online

06.14.07 @ 11:43 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have both models, the Steinberger GL T2 series and the Spirit. And I got to tell ya that the Spirit isn't a bad guitar. It does have a locking tremelo, but it's not the same at the "REAL" Trans-Trem offered on the GL T2.
    The pickups are fairly hot, but the EMG in the GLT2 are true active pickups. The one offered in the Spirit are Seclect EMG's. Still, a good pickup.
    The Spirit plays really well. I thought when I got it, it would have a cheap "Feel" to it, but it feels just the same as my GLT2. The only downfall is that if your wanting to learn a song, such as, Summer Nights, or Get up, forget it. The more costly Steinbergers have the Trans Trem which allows you to change keys while your playing. On the spirit, there is one turning knob that helps change the pitch of the tremelo, which changes the key in which your playing, then you can lock it down. Sorta tricky. But, over all, I think the Spirit is a great buy for the money. It is a fun guitar.

Something to think about, if you can find a real Trans Trem tremelo unit for sale, I think it can adapt to the spirit. Not real sure bout that, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't.

Happy Daze
    "They say a song without vocals is not a song, tell Beethoven that and he'll kick your ass."<br /> Edward Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

WOW! You guys said some decent things about a guitar that I assumed is a piece of shit! I just like the design.

I have a Wolfie now, and I like it a lot. I am not a "guitar afficianado" like some of you guys. I wouldn't know "tone" if it bit me in my ass. I am just looking to blow some cash on something that's cool and you guys seem to think this is a decent axe to "blow" some money on. Thanks for all of your help
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ordered my Steinberger last night. I opted for the "broom" shaped style. I wish it came in more than just one color (black, the same color as my Wolfie). But, other than that...........I a little excited about seeing this headless wonder next week. I'll let you guys know how it plays..........

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I hope you enjoy it. I played one of the real expensive ones a year or so ago, and it played great, the Trans-Trem on the other hand took a bit of getting used to.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well I got my "el cheapo" Steinberger last night. It's no Wolfie, but then in doesn't have nearly the same price tag.

Overall it's a great little guitar for only 3 hundred bucks. )Hell I spent half that on just a tremelo for an old Charvel/Jackson I have............)

It's a little tough to play becuase the volume knob and pickup selector is so close to the E string. It's pretty cramped. I really had to concentrate when playing, so maybe that's a good thing.

I don't care for the finish on the neck. I am kind of partial to the "unfinished" neck like on my Wolfie. My hands just didn't want to move from one position to another very easily.

I didn't really get an "owner's manual". Just a photocopied piece of paper describing how to tune the damn thing.

I did get a cable.....allen wrench and a few other odds and ends.

Would I suggest getting one?

Sure, why not? It's a great guitar to bang around on and throw around the house (mine is stashed behind the hamper, that's how small it is)

I honestly bought it for the look..........I think for the cash it's a pretty solid axe.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.14.10 @ 09:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey, check out the news section at musicyo.com. They're planning on releasing one of the old models with the trans trem.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

cool stuff Jimmy, I hope you enjay it
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I finally got some free time to sit down and really play this little son of a bitch. It seems to play and sound fine, but, damn it's weird not having a larger body. It's just a strange sensation to just have this little rectangle around you. On few occasions I'll fret the wrong chord because the "headless" design throws off my point of reference a little.

The tremelo is tough. Couldn't get it to go outta tune, even after some of those "Judgement Day" dips and dives.

What would happen if I sanded the neck down to a bare finish? That neck is just so sticky!!!!!!!!