Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

11.09.05 @ 05:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is similiar to the post about the out-of-tune strings on the FR. My problem is that the string is getting worn down near the nut and breaking easily. Is there any way around this? Tribb, Homeunit, Abe, any ideas?
    <b><i>They call me the thread killer.</b></i><br /><br />First six albums rule. In addition, the following represent the only two Y2K release in the world that are preventing me from losing it altogether waiting for the VH reunion.<br /><br /><b>Galactic Cowboys</b> <b><i>Let It Go</b></i><br /><b>King's X</b> <b><i>Manic Moonlight</b></i><br /><b>Rush</b> <b><i>Vapor Trails</b></i> <br /><b>David Douglas</b> <b><i>Music From A Guest Room</b></i><br /><br />Later, VHDOF

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Has this been happening since you've had the Floyd? And does it happen on all the strings? I gotta say, I've never heard of this happening before. One other thing, did the guitar come with the Floyd from the factory? I ask this because if it didn't, whoever put it on may have screwed up and installed it at a slight pitch thus giveing the string a sharp edge to rest on insetad of the somewhat flat one offered when the nut is mounted as it should be.

Other than that, all I can say is play farther up the neck. hehehe
    <a href="http://www.unityparty2001.com/cgi-local/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi" target="_blank">Electric Shock</a>

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can you be more specific about 'down near the nut'? If it's breaking right at the nut, you are either tightening the clamp down too hard, causing the corner to dig into the string and cutting it, or you have a sharp edge on the nut or clamp. If you have a file small enough, you can try to grind down any burrs in the metal. A Dremel tool is ideal for this sort of thing if you have the right attachments. In a pinch, a piece of sandpaper can do the trick if the problem is in the nut itself.

It's also possible that your left hand is sweating on the strings near the nut, coz that's the most common place for it anyway. Maybe your body chemistry is eroding the string away there.

And there is also a chance that you have a sharp fret surface grinding or cutting at the string.

So, with more detailed info, I can narrow it down more.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

VHDOF, you didn't mention whether the guitar was home made or not, but it does sound like a burr on or near the nut. Does it happen over any particular fret when you straighten the string back out? An improperly crowned fret can cause a problem like that if you tend to stretch or play hard at a certain area.
    It's pretty rare that that would happen but it's not impossible. If you're gonna sand the spot on the floyd nut at the top of the neck I wouldn't advise a dremmel tool. It's too easy to over do it and cause other problems, especially if you can't actually see the burr. Try some 1000 grit emery cloth which works very well on metal and won't discolor the nut unless it's a black floyd.
    Some times the black ones are just coated and they're chrome underneath.
    Just rub the body side edge of the nut and the block with out much force. You just want to smooth it.
    Also try playing the guitar for a while without that nut tightened down and see what happens.
    I'm assuming from what you say, the string breaks in exactly the same spot every time.
    Also is the nut a new part or have you had it for awhile?

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

These guys have all given great advice.

My question is, how long have these strings been on the axe?

Also, is your bridge set up well? Shoddy tension takes no prisoners, and will fuck you every time.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

11.09.05 @ 05:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tribb, Homeunit:

Close this thread, I'm a frickin' idiot.

I just realized that the strings that are worn are strings that I restrung after breakage near the bridge, so I recut the string at the breaking point, and still having enough string, I then reclamped. So the previous spot on the string where the clamp was is now hovering between the nut and the first fret.

However, am I clamping too hard if I'm wearing away the top bindings of the string?

BTW, the guitar is a Squire Stagemaster, which is a decent little guitar for the price, although the stock pickups feedback like a mother and I'm in the process of trying to find ways to keep the whammy bar from making so much noise when the pickup volume is up all the way but you're not playing. If the whammy bar moves even slightly, it's quite apparent.

Anyway, thanks for the great responses!

[ June 29, 2001 at 11:22 AM: Message edited by: VHDOF ]
    <b><i>They call me the thread killer.</b></i><br /><br />First six albums rule. In addition, the following represent the only two Y2K release in the world that are preventing me from losing it altogether waiting for the VH reunion.<br /><br /><b>Galactic Cowboys</b> <b><i>Let It Go</b></i><br /><b>King's X</b> <b><i>Manic Moonlight</b></i><br /><b>Rush</b> <b><i>Vapor Trails</b></i> <br /><b>David Douglas</b> <b><i>Music From A Guest Room</b></i><br /><br />Later, VHDOF