Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: Frozen Rod...

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:49 AM
    Liked 66 Times in 35 Posts

OK - that subject sounds wierd. But I have a question for you guitar masters out there. I have a 30+ year old acoustic made by "Lyle". It is not a great guitar, but has many memories attached to it and it plays smoother than glass. My problem is that the rod is frozen and I cannot adjust the neck. The reason I want to make the adjustment is f I put light strings (.10) on it the A string rests on the frets and the low E buzzes up until the 4th fret. I switched to .13's and that gave me enough extra tension to pull the strings up, and fix the problems but I would prefer to go with a lighter gauge. I am fearful that if I put too much force on the allen I will strip it out, or worse yet cause horrific damage to the guitar. I am not a tech, so forgive me for possibly not getting the terms correct... The two parts (nut and bridge) that the strings rest on at the top of the neck and at the other end by the holes are pretty worn. I have thought about replacing them but worry that I would change the feel of the action too much. Any suggestions would be great.
    Thanks [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Aint life grand!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to use 10's.
    If the nut is badly worn and you have to replace it, unless you're familiar with doing it to a guitar you don't want to butcher then take it to someone who's experienced. No amount of feedback you get on here is a substitute for doing i right if it's something you've never done. It's not worth screwing up your guitar, and acoustics are very different to work on than electrics.
    Also, if the tension rod is really seized, you can't puor oil into it cause it won't flow properly, and on the off chance that it does get behind the torsion wheel the oil will be absorbed into the wood, and can soften it or deteriorate it fairly quickly depending on the oil used.
    There's a fair amount of pressure in there stressing the neck and you don't want oil in there.
    If the rod has to be replaced the finger board will have to be removed, and you don't even want to try that.
    I'd strongly recommend you take it to a luthier who works on acoustics. He may have some tricks that'll fix it up without anything major, and it sounds like it should be properly setup anyway.

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:49 AM
    Liked 66 Times in 35 Posts

Tribb,
    Thanx for the thoughts. I am leaning towards either leaving the .13's on or having a pro work on it. I am just worried that even a pro may "f" it up and the guitar just means too much to me for that. It was my father's and was the first one I picked up 25 years ago.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

FAN4EVER, A luthier that specializes in acoustics wouldn't screw it up, but I can certainly understand your being hesitant.
    An acoustic's a different animal, and you have to know woods in a different way than electric solidbodies, but there are some good luthiers than can be recommended by reputable music stores, or can be checked out in the yellow pages.
    I wouldn't just leave it in a music store and walk away, but if you take it to a luthier's shop and see his work it might make you feel better about having it worked on.
    Whatever you decide, good luck.