Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
    Last Online

10.23.16 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 186 Posts

Well, the Axis vs. Wolfgang debate always seems to get attention, so here goes. I just traded my tobaccoburst Wolfgang Special Flametop for a Natural Flametop Axis. I've owned four Wolfgangs, including the one I just mentioned. This is my first Axis, and I have to say, will probably be the guitar I stick with for a while. I'm on a continuous quest for tone, and I think I've found what I'm looking for. Here's how I got here. I started out with the black Wolf Standard trem model with the solid basswood construction. It was great, but I wanted to see the difference in tone between that and the Wolf Special, so I got a black one to match. The tone difference was signifigant. The Special was more edgy, and lended itself more toward the hard music I like, where the Standard was more of an all around guitar. It had more of a mellow sound. I thought maybe a Standard with a Flame top would be more to my liking, so I traded the black Standard for a trans purple Wolf Standard. It was more edgy than the black basswood Standard, but there was still that more mellow undertone that was there before. I figure it must be that tone knob. anyway, I preferred the sound of the special, but not the looks, so I traded my two Wolfs for a Tobaccoburst Flametop special, and a Marshall JCM-900 dual reverb 100watt combo amp. I was much more pleased with my Special Flametop, but after about a year playing through that rig, I started noticing something that I hadn't noticed before. The power of the Wolfgang pickup is incredible, but something about the tone didn't seem right to me. Tone just seemed dirty to me. I always read the threads about "Axis vs. Wolfgang" on here and wonder, "What's the big deal? They're basically the same guitar." Boy was I wrong! I hadn't had an opportunity to play too many Axis' because they are not very easy to find here in Illinois for some reason. I found one at a local guitar shop, and fell in love. The thing feels mostly like a Wolf, but the tone is superior. It has the tone I've been looking for, Bright distortion on attack with a great "clean" sustain. The Wolf would stay dirty through the whole note. I'm definately not saying that one guitar is better than the other in general, I just think that the
    Axis is the guitar for my kind of tone.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Good Enough

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 08:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Whatever does for you bud, and makes you want to play more, more power to ya. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]