Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gang,

Something I just remembered that I always forget. the tone on a lot of VH 1 was from the non trem "Shark" and the Shark had for a bridge pickup
    a Dimarzio super distortion that was dipped in wax hmmm.... definatly not in the 7-9ohm range
    I'm just thinking out loud here.....
    Rol.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 928 Times in 555 Posts

In issue nine of the Inside magazine says that Ed recorded these songs with the Shark.

Runnin w/the devil
    You really got me
    Jamies Cryin (also used Franky on that track)
    Feel your Love tonight
    On Fire
    Dance the night Away
    Outta live again
    Women in love
    Fools
    Romeo Delight(says he used Ibanez Destroyer not the Shark)
    In a simple rhyme(Ibanez Destroyer)
    [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]
    You may think I`m being mean but I`m really just being sarcastic

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What are you saying bro?
    Give me more [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img]

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, WACF, FW, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

"They\'re all hit singles, man" - DLR
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I read somewhere that he recorded the rhythm to Jamie's Cryin with a Les Paul.

And I'll add that he couldn't have recorded On Fire with the shark, you can hear a few dive bombs in that song.

[ November 20, 2002, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: 5150atomic ]
    Right Now...My gf is probably reading my posts.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by 5150atomic:
    I read somewhere that he recorded the rhythm to Jamie's Cryin with a Les Paul.

And I'll add that he couldn't have recorded On Fire with the shark, you can hear a few dive bombs in that song.
    Ed stated in an interview that anything on the first 3 records that doesn't have a floyd on it was the shark, but we later leared that WACF was actually another Korina Ibanez that he borrowed from Chris Holmes of WASP and a god awfull ugly Orange one at that. there is a picture of that in the studio .
    Rol.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by beetlejuice:
    What are you saying bro?
    I'm as confused as anyone, but what I'm saying is that just like the Pickup to the wood theory maybe this whole pickup thing is bunk
    Rol.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Which would be even more reason for people to find a sound that is their own, and mod it to someone like Ed in the first place [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] Anything else is like putting the buggy before the horse. I can totally relate to some of the guitar players out their looking for Ed's tone, however, there are so many variables that aren't even being addressed. Temperature of the room, sound proofing material in the studio, wear on the strings (Ed didn't change strings in the studio unless he broke 'em), string gauge, exact location of knobs on a modded amp, amount of wood that was removed from whichever guitar he used, condition of the tubes in the amp, etc... Sure all of these things matter. You can't just dump a pickup in a guitar and expect it to sound like Ed's without taking into consideration more of the mechanics. There is an entire critical path that I have not even seen being addressed. Nor am I saying it's worth discussing... You can get pretty damn close with your effects and a close proximity of a pickup, almost any decent pickup... but there is much more that can't be, or isn't being measured to get that exact tone... So do what Ed did: Cheat [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] My version of Eruption may be subtley different than someone else's, but in each of our heads it sounds right. Same with tone... It's a feeling, not a label. [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

[ November 20, 2002, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: el_jalepeno ]

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

vanhalen 1
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 03:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ROl,
    The dimarzio was in the Yellow and black guitar.i have an article where he talks about the thickness of the guitar being 2 inches.he thought thicker wood,make up for the thiness of the floyd rose....

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by bmf5150:
    ROl,
    The dimarzio was in the Yellow and black guitar.i have an article where he talks about the thickness of the guitar being 2 inches.he thought thicker wood,make up for the thiness of the floyd rose....
    Shark had PAFs in the neck and bridge. For the real pickup in the VH 2 guitar (not the one in the photo), it was a Gibson PAF with DiMarzio parts, hand-built by Ed. And he dipped all of his pickups in wax to minimize the feedback vibration of the coils [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

[ November 20, 2002, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: el_jalepeno ]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by el_jalepeno:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by bmf5150:
    ROl,
    Shark had PAFs in the neck and bridge. For the real pickup in the VH 2 guitar (not the one in the photo), it was a Gibson PAF with DiMarzio parts, hand-built by Ed. And he dipped all of his pickups in wax to minimize the feedback vibration of the coils [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] </font>[/QUOTE]the pickups in the pictures I have point to the Shark not having PAFs , they are dimarzios, the givaway is allen head pickup poles not standard screws and the neck was also a dimarzio
    but not hooked up, I guess he could have changed the screws but I highly doubt it .
    If you havn't seen anyone talking about all the characteristics then you missed reading a lot maybe before you started posting here? just about everyone here has discussed just about every little detail that can be discussed about Eds tone be it the newer or older tone, I myself as well as several others have stated some of the very things you have mentioned.
    I have my own tone, found what I liked a while ago
    but I have a whole seperate rig that is dedicated to getting the older Ed tone, it's my toy and I wanna play with it (the sound rig too)
    and I don't feel guilty at all about it and no one should, Matter of fact I think for the next week I'll abandon my style of playing and just play Ed licks and I might even wear candy striped overalls. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Rol.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by el_jalepeno:
    Which would be even more reason for people to find a sound that is their own, and mod it to someone like Ed in the first place [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] Anything else is like putting the buggy before the horse. I can totally relate to some of the guitar players out their looking for Ed's tone, however, there are so many variables that aren't even being addressed. Temperature of the room, sound proofing material in the studio, wear on the strings (Ed didn't change strings in the studio unless he broke 'em), string gauge, exact location of knobs on a modded amp, amount of wood that was removed from whichever guitar he used, condition of the tubes in the amp, etc... Sure all of these things matter. You can't just dump a pickup in a guitar and expect it to sound like Ed's without taking into consideration more of the mechanics. There is an entire critical path that I have not even seen being addressed. Nor am I saying it's worth discussing... You can get pretty damn close with your effects and a close proximity of a pickup, almost any decent pickup... but there is much more that can't be, or isn't being measured to get that exact tone... So do what Ed did: Cheat [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] My version of Eruption may be subtley different than someone else's, but in each of our heads it sounds right. Same with tone... It's a feeling, not a label. [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]
    I STILL say a majority of your tone is in your hands.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

From VH1 through 1984.
    Favorite VH Song

Girls gone bad
    Last Online

01.24.05 @ 02:10 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[I have my own tone, found what I liked a while ago
    but I have a whole seperate rig that is dedicated to getting the older Ed tone, it's my toy and I wanna play with it (the sound rig too)
    and I don't feel guilty at all about it and no one should, Matter of fact I think for the next week I'll abandon my style of playing and just play Ed licks and I might even wear candy striped overalls. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Rol.[/QB][/QUOTE]
    Yeah [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

[quote]Originally posted by rolsguitars:
    the pickups in the pictures I have point to the Shark not having PAFs , they are dimarzios, the givaway is allen head pickup poles not standard screws and the neck was also a dimarzio
    but not hooked up, I guess he could have changed the screws but I highly doubt it .
    Hey Rol, no disrespect. I didn't realize you were judging Ed's tone on pictures. I got my information from some research. Ed had a habit of swapping pickups for looks as well. Check out page 281 and 284 of "The Van Halen Encyclopedia" from CJ Chilvers. As for Ed's style, I abandon my own style two nights a week in favor of Ed's. I don't have striped overalls, but I do have some Underoos [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ November 21, 2002, 06:25 AM: Message edited by: el_jalepeno ]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by rolsguitars:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by beetlejuice:
    What are you saying bro?
    I'm as confused as anyone, but what I'm saying is that just like the Pickup to the wood theory maybe this whole pickup thing is bunk
    Rol.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Rols, you build guitars and you think the pickup to the wood theory is bunk?

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Currently - Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.28.12 @ 10:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by cyberfiddl
    I STILL say a majority of your tone is in your hands.
    I agree. I also remember someone saying that Ed's warn fretboard may have played some part in the tone. Interesting.

But definitely in your fingers and the way you play the guitar.

I remember some interview I have somewhere of someone saying they've heard Ed play through Ed's gear and through other people's gear, and he still sounds like Ed.

I know when I jammeed along with my friends we'd swap instruments every now and then and I'd always sound sort of rocky-grungy when I played the Wolfgang, but my friend would always sound like he was playing through a strat.

And this was playing the same guitar direct into the amp, no changes in settings...

[ November 21, 2002, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: mondola ]
    "<i>You can please <b>some</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time,<br />And <b>all</b> of the people <b>some</b> of the time,<br />But you can't please <b>all</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time !</i>"<br /><br />(was Dave5150 on <b><i>The Pleasure Dome</i></b>)<br /><br />Check out some of my music at: <a href="http://www.dave5150.com" target="_blank">www.dave5150.com</a>