Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Eruption
    Last Online

07.14.10 @ 09:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For those of you who have played a JCM800 2203 series or 1959SLP reissue, how do these compare to the originals soundwise??? I haven't seen either one in any guitar stores around here, and even if I did I couldn't crank 'em loud enough...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 928 Times in 555 Posts

Go to Harmonycentral.com to read reviews oh those amps.
    You may think I`m being mean but I`m really just being sarcastic

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Hey 51501984, you the same guy who found the Duncan Custom 5 to be brighter than the stock Axis pickup?

If so, did you check the pickup's height? I mean down to an eighth of an inch?

If not, you'd better get on over to seymourduncan.com and sue.

Just joking. Seriously though, I was very shocked, if that indeed was you, that you found the Custom 5 to be "brighter" than the stock pickup. Not likely, in my eyes, mainly since DiMarzio doesn't have a clue when it comes to aging Alnicos. (The magnet in the stock pickup is the same as the one in the Custom 5).

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Originally posted by Majestic:
    Hey 51501984, you the same guy who found the Duncan Custom 5 to be brighter than the stock Axis pickup?

If so, did you check the pickup's height? I mean down to an eighth of an inch?

If not, you'd better get on over to seymourduncan.com and sue.

Just joking. Seriously though, I was very shocked, if that indeed was you, that you found the Custom 5 to be "brighter" than the stock pickup. Not likely, in my eyes, mainly since DiMarzio doesn't have a clue when it comes to aging Alnicos. (The magnet in the stock pickup is the same as the one in the Custom 5).
    Thats me , now help me out here because I`m not to bright The sound I`m getting from (thin and bright ) would i want to raise it or lower it ?

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

We really need Rol's help on this one, but I believe that when pressing the string down on the 22nd fret, the string needs to be 1/8th of an inch away from the Bridge pickup.....NO CLOSER!

If your pickup is too low, then raising it will/should increase the output, depending on how far away it currently is.

For the record, I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying I'm surprised with your evaluation of the tone.

Then again, if you found the original Axis pickup to be "bright" or harsh, then you'd probably find the Custom 5 to be somewhat similar.

My only suspicion, and you're free to correct me, was that the Custom 5 would have a little bit "softer" high end, especially on the top 2 strings. Plus, the bass response shouldn't be as puffy or pushy as the stock pickup.

But we can shoulda-woulda-coulda this to death. All that really matters is the sound that is coming from your guitar. [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[QB]We really need Rol's help on this one, but I believe that when pressing the string down on the 22nd fret, the string needs to be 1/8th of an inch away from the Bridge pickup.....NO CLOSER!

QB]
    Yea any closer than 1\8" and your gonna kill your sustain with magnetic pull but besides that if you even think doing any palm muting it's gonna buzz out on the pickup and sound like you need a fret job 1\8" is pretty dam close .

I personally start at 1\4" static, meaning not fretting anywhere the bottom of the string is 1\4"
    from the top of the poles, now from there I go on sound, some are left at 1\4" and others are a little less depending on guitar\pickup combo and such you know the story.
    now are we sure the pickup is wired correctly ?
    if the red\white wires were not soldered together and taped off then the 2 coils are not together that would make it sound much brighter and thin.
    Rol.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

We really need Rol's help on this one, but I believe that when pressing the string down on the 22nd fret, the string needs to be 1/8th of an inch away from the Bridge pickup.....NO CLOSER!

If your pickup is too low, then raising it will/should increase the output, depending on how far away it currently is.

For the record, I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying I'm surprised with your evaluation of the tone.

Then again, if you found the original Axis pickup to be "bright" or harsh, then you'd probably find the Custom 5 to be somewhat similar.

My only suspicion, and you're free to correct me, was that the Custom 5 would have a little bit "softer" high end, especially on the top 2 strings. Plus, the bass response shouldn't be as puffy or pushy as the stock pickup.

But we can shoulda-woulda-coulda this to death. All that really matters is the sound that is coming from your guitar. [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]
    I`m gonna mess with the heigth of the pickup and see if it helps out . Thanks for the tips [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Getting back to the original topic, I've owned a few 800 series combos and heads, and they're good amps, no complaints. I've played the 1959SLP head and it's ok, but i wasn't impressed.
    What really impressed me was the JTM-45 reissue head. That head sounded nothing short of great, and with a hotplate you're there.
    Don't use a marshall powerbreak if you can avoid it because although they work fine, they really tend to colour your tone and can make the head sound weak.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Originally posted by rolsguitars:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Majestic:
    [QB]We really need Rol's help on this one, but I believe that when pressing the string down on the 22nd fret, the string needs to be 1/8th of an inch away from the Bridge pickup.....NO CLOSER!

QB]
    Yea any closer than 1\8" and your gonna kill your sustain with magnetic pull but besides that if you even think doing any palm muting it's gonna buzz out on the pickup and sound like you need a fret job 1\8" is pretty dam close .

I personally start at 1\4" static, meaning not fretting anywhere the bottom of the string is 1\4"
    from the top of the poles, now from there I go on sound, some are left at 1\4" and others are a little less depending on guitar\pickup combo and such you know the story.
    now are we sure the pickup is wired correctly ?
    if the red\white wires were not soldered together and taped off then the 2 coils are not together that would make it sound much brighter and thin.
    Rol.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I checked it out and it`s wired correctly , I rasise the pickup a bit and it`s definetily got some more bass to it now , sorry to get the original topic of track

[ November 10, 2002, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: 51501984 ]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Originally posted by tribb:
    Getting back to the original topic, I've owned a few 800 series combos and heads, and they're good amps, no complaints. I've played the 1959SLP head and it's ok, but i wasn't impressed.
    What really impressed me was the JTM-45 reissue head. That head sounded nothing short of great, and with a hotplate you're there.
    Don't use a marshall powerbreak if you can avoid it because although they work fine, they really tend to colour your tone and can make the head sound weak.
    I`ve seen quite a few 800 seris combos on ebay , how do those sound compared to say a 5150 combo ?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A marshall and peavey 5150 are day and night apart.
    I found the 5150 to be very high gain, but buzzy, and not nearly as good tonewise as the 800 series heads or combo's.
    Keep in mind that the marshall 800 doesn't have the gain of the 5150 unless it's modded, so you'll have to use a pedal of some sort to overdrive it, but it sounds warmer and the notes articulate better. It's also a much more versatile amp.
    This is only my opinion and I know there are guys that are happy with their 5150's.
    I used them for years and went back to Marshalls, because other than huge amounts of gain 5150's don't seem to do much of anything else.
    With an attenuator so you can drive it, and a good overdrive pedal a marshall tube head smokes just as well as a 5150, but with it's own sound.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Originally posted by 51501984:
    I`ve seen quite a few 800 seris combos on ebay , how do those sound compared to say a 5150 combo ?[/QB]

......Oh boy!

I'm gonna let Tribb have the final word on this one, but I'll get the ball rolling by stating the obvious:

They're not similar, not at all.

One is a vintage-ey amp, the other is an absolute distortion monster.

Off the top of my head, and there are probably better examples, but when I think of a JCM 800, I think of AC/DC, Slash, and on the "edgier" end of things, old Anthrax. [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]

When I think of the 5150, I think of Eddie's tone on recent albums.