Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Guys,

ther is someone here in town (PHX area) that makes ampheads his name is Jim Krank (ha !! yes that is his name) anyway he claims to have his own circuit that he is now installing in my JCM-800 that at the moment has the ala Joe Walsh Funk#49 tone soon to have a VHII\Fairwarning tone.
    I went to his shop played his amp and was sold in about 30 seconds.
    The good part here he makes a 50 watt head for $1G
    that is $1500 less than Mojave, Blockhead,Rocheffort (sic) etc etc he also has a 15 day trial. The guy takes Sovteks guts them put his own circuit in, he also has awesome cabs that are made of real solid wood not plywood, no prices on those yet.
    when I get my Marshall back I'll post a clip of the tone I get out of it if it turns out how I like.
    Rol.

www.krank.itgo.com he needs to improve his website
    no sound clips yet.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rols, he might have a good circuit for the head, hard to say till it's done, but baltic birch plywood is probably the best sounding wood I've heard in a marshall style cab.
    The only other wood that rings well is pine and that's expensive and not necessarily better, just different.
    Very old fender cabs were originally built of pinewood.
    I had a guy here build
    me a custom cab of baltic birch with a pine front, and birch back, and the cab has tone that you would not believe, no matter which speakers I put into it.
    Another thing to consider is the fact that tolex takes a lot of the ring out of a cab, regardless of the wood used. Put a coat of tolex on one of your guitars and you'll see what I mean. It really does work the same for a cab.
    If you're gonna have a custom cab made don't cover it with anything but stain and a coat of poly.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by tribb:
    Rols, he might have a good circuit for the head, hard to say till it's done, but baltic birch plywood is probably the best sounding wood I've heard in a marshall style cab.
    The only other wood that rings well is pine and that's expensive and not necessarily better, just different.
    Very old fender cabs were originally built of pinewood.
    I had a guy here build
    me a custom cab of baltic birch with a pine front, and birch back, and the cab has tone that you would not believe, no matter which speakers I put into it.
    Another thing to consider is the fact that tolex takes a lot of the ring out of a cab, regardless of the wood used. Put a coat of tolex on one of your guitars and you'll see what I mean. It really does work the same for a cab.
    If you're gonna have a custom cab made don't cover it with anything but stain and a coat of poly.
    He definatly had a good cicuit for his head I played !! anyhow I mentioned to him to leave it uncovered and just stained and light poly'ed I dunno if he liked that or not, if you notice a lot of Eds old cabs were uncovered too, the tolex was ripped right off kinda like my tone theory for my new guitar very light finish cause all the extra gunk is a tone killer. (imo)
    Rol.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Honestly Rols, removing the tolex really makes a difference, as well as removing the pressboard back of later marshall cabs and replacing it with baltic birch plywood. I wouldn't do it to an old greenback cab, simply because it would really lessen it's value, but on a custom you're going for sound. I'm still working to finish off my room downstairs. As soon as it's done I'll call you and show you what I mean about the cab.

[ November 21, 2002, 06:37 AM: Message edited by: tribb ]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Honestly Rols, removing the tolex really makes a difference,
    I agree with that on just like thick gloss on a guitar body.
    Rol.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had planned on retolexing, but I got tired.

Yeah, it's an old cab, but I'm a retard so it's ok!

Next is to lose the particle board rear baffle. And tribb...ever dealt with spiders coming loose on old speakers? One of my blackbacks was buzzing like a 13lb bumble bee because the spider had come loose. I super-glued it back into place. I'm not sure if that's an "approved" method of repair. I will likely have to do it to at least one more in that quad, though....

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey ratter, that's a nice cab.
    As long as it's stripped you might as well replace the rear baffle with baltic birch. Just take the old one to the lumber yard and they'll cut you a new one to match. Shouldn't cost more than a few bucks.
    When and if you decide to retolex the cab you can get the greenish elephant levant to make it look like an original again, but for tone you were right to strip it.
    Spider's not a term I'm familiar with, but if you mean the external coil wire on the speaker then yea, super glue does the job nicely cause it's thin, holds well, and isn't affected by vibration.
    If it's a paper tear but the peices are still touching then a small peice of kleenex soaked in clear nail polish, and applied on the back does the job well.
    Couple of nice guitars you have there.
    This is my favorite right now.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey ratter, that's a nice cab.
    As long as it's stripped you might as well replace the rear baffle with baltic birch. Just take the old one to the lumber yard and they'll cut you a new one to match. Shouldn't cost more than a few bucks.
    When and if you decide to retolex the cab you can get the greenish elephant levant to make it look like an original again, but for tone you were right to strip it.
    Spider's not a term I'm familiar with, but if you mean the external coil wire on the speaker then yea, super glue does the job nicely cause it's thin, holds well, and isn't affected by vibration.
    If it's a paper tear but the peices are still touching then a small peice of kleenex soaked in clear nail polish, and applied on the back does the job well.
    Couple of nice guitars you have there.
    This is my favorite right now.
    Hey tribb,

I will probably never retolex it...just replace the back like you said, and I would also like to get some metal handles to replace the plastic ones.

What's the story on your Strat? Original? Relic? I am jonesing BAD for a maple-board strat. I went out and got a used Albert Lee to try and fill that void, but as cool as the Albert is, it just isn't a strat. I played a dozen or more '56 Relics in my search, but none of them grabbed me...