Register
    Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Has anyone ever used that studio foam for soundproofing, say for not wanting to piss of neighbors? If so, how does it work

Home recording...ahh. Nothing Fancy. I've used a Tascam 4 track for a long time, then used it as routing for some computer based software called N-Track. However N-Track refuses to see eye to eye with my computer, and it fails not to lag every fuckin time.

I've been looking at a Boss BR-8. The thing is, if I want to master the shit from the Boss to the CD-R on my computer I have to go to the 1/8" line in jack on the back of my PC. I have a Gateway so I'm not able to replace the soundcard with a dedicated card.

A tech at Musician's Friend enlightened me to an Edirol audio interface. So using either the Edirol, or the audio out of the Boss connected to an 1/8" plug into the line in, how do I route the audio to get it onto the CD-R? I hope I'm able to make sense out of that, cause I don't know shit from shinola about audio interfaces and utilizing the USB port.

Hopefully someone can shed light on this.

Thanks
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Homeunit's the best one to answer this, but I do know that roland makes an interface mixer that goes into your usb port I believe, or sound card, and allows you to record directly to your hard drive, making your computer a digital recorder, but having all the mix controls, and inputs on the outside. I've heard good things about them and they come with software. It's not a portable unit, so if all your recording is done at home look into one, just to get some info. A no. of companies are making the same type of unit and they're not expensive.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The studio foam will NOT do anything to please your neighbors; it will only help kill REFLECTIONS of sound within the room. Only MASS will work for soundproofing, not to mention a lot of airtight seals.

If you want to keep too much sound from getting into your neighbor's ears, the foam won't help you. That stuff is a room 'treatment', not 'soundproofing'. Actual soundproofing is an expensive, time-consuming, and labor-intensive pain in the ass. Your best bet is to keep as quiet as you can, keep your doors and windows closed, and try not to deal with anything loud late at night or early morning.

I know you were hoping to hear about how great the foam stuff works for your application, but I'm sorry to say that it won't.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Fuck it, at least I know now.

I mean how the fuck are you supposed to enjoy your gear to it's fullest extent without hearing someone piss and moan?

Man if I could have my own land, with a fucking pond, gettin in some bream fishing while I play my guitar at unrespectable levels.

Does anyone say fuck it and turn their shit up anyway?
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Only speaking for my self, my marshall's modded so I can get a balls to the walls sound even at low volumes.
    If you have a combo you want to crank or record at full volume to get the drive out of it you need, what a no. of guys do is build sound boxes for them. It's just an airtight plywood box with 2" of styrofoam covering everything inside.
    You drop the amp in from the top, and then close the lid. There should be at least 5-6 inches of space all around the amp, and a small fan port to allow air to be drawn out. A black 4-6" ventilation fan works fine, and doesn't let enough sound out to bother the neighbors. You have to cut a sealable port to install the mic for recording as well. It will still get warm in there with the fan going, so shut it off for awhile, or ventilate it evey half hour or so.
    That way you can crank it, and no one complains.
    If you have a loop, try a Marshall power soak or THD hot plate.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've read something similar for recording, and it sounds like a hell of an idea. Do you know if the fan would cause much noise?

When you say Marshall Power Soak, is that like a Marshall Power Brake? I've only seen the Power Brake and am wondering if it seriously affects your tone, and how do you route it...Is it straight in from the instrument, or do you have to utilize the loop.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Duh yea, sorry. I meant power brake. I was thinking of a sholtz power soak, which is a tube melter, and known for damaging amps. The Marshall power "brake" isn't bad at all with your tone, although any type of break will affect tone to some degree. The power brake and THD hot plate work by going in between the output transformer and your speaker. You run a cable from your speaker out, into the power break, and then you plug your speaker into the PB.
    That way your preamp works normally and your power amp is cranked but the PB absorbs the signal and reduces it to the speaker, giving you a high amp overdrive with a low output signal to the speaker. You can run the amp on full volume and vary the volume from the power break it self.
    It will reduce the life of your tubes, but some guys don't mind because you can run your amp cranked in a small room. Part of your amp's sound is the way, and how hard it pushes the speaker though, and that's where the variation in natural tone comes into play.

!!!Warning!!!
    I have to say this as a disclaimer. I am not advocating the use of a power break, or any other kind of power soaking unit here. I'm only explaining how they work. These units have been known to fry the odd power transformer when pushed hard for a length of time. They can be hard on an amp. If you use one, don't do so because I mentioned it. The choice is yours to make, and I, or the VH Links won't be held responsible if you decide to use one of these units and something does go wrong.

[ December 29, 2001 at 07:38 PM: Message edited by: tribb ]</p>

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I forgot to mentionthat the sound box isn't really noisy because the fan is situated at the back, where it draws heat from the back of the amp.
    The fans used are the low power square industrial type, which are high efficiancy, low noise, and their sound is pushed away from the amp.
    Don't forget to vent the front of the amp as well, usually at the bottom, or very top, with a small hole so the fan can draw air through.
    Don't plug it into the same outlet as your amp.
    Also, the mic sits right in front of the speaker, which when cranked up high tends to have enough hiss to drown the sound of a low noise fan.
    I wouldn't use a 57 or amic like that unless it's well padded with foam, which will also only let sound directly beside it in. Most guys just hang it directly in front of the speaker. A good condenser mic might be better for recording this way.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

We had luck soundproofing our place by deflecting the sound away from the neighbors. We but boxes filled with sand behind the drums,big ones on the bottom and smaller on the top so we could move them. We kept the curtains closed and used more boxes filled with old clothes to insulate the sound. Now, we weren't silent, but it cut back on the noise. We also used "Dead Ringers" on the drums( I don't know if they even use those anymore). I don't think we ever turned our amps up over "5" and we always knocked off practice by 9:30pm.

Plus, we had really cool neighbors.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Tribb and Axx...

But since I'm DYI, Tribb has given me a confirmation on mic'd amp recording...but I appreciate the drum input Axx...thanks bud
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

tribb, what gear are you using to record for your zoom setup ?
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

On Fire
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:07 AM
    Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by tribb:
    Homeunit's the best one to answer this, but I do know that roland makes an interface mixer that goes into your usb port I believe, or sound card, and allows you to record directly to your hard drive, making your computer a digital recorder, but having all the mix controls, and inputs on the outside. I've heard good things about them and they come with software. It's not a portable unit, so if all your recording is done at home look into one, just to get some info. A no. of companies are making the same type of unit and they're not expensive.<hr></blockquote>

I have a Tascam US-428 which could be the unit you are talking about. Basically it looks like a 8 track recorder but it's function is more like a flash soundcard. It connects to your computer via USB and has all the necessary inputs needed. It also has all the commonly used controls used with recording. The controls on the unit send midi signals to the program on the PC. The unit also comes with a demo version of Cubase called Cubasis. This program is an impressive and complex piece of software which is taking me a long time to get around. I have upgraded to the full version of Cubase and it also offers a virtual bass as well as impressive drum sounds. I'm new to the game of digital recording, so it's taking me a while to learn all that's on offer. But so far I am very impressed with the unit and the Cubase software. It has the best of both worlds, a sturdy hardware input/control base as well as an almost limitless software program that can be upgraded. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Roshambo, although I was referring to the Roland, your unit is the same pricipal.
    Apparently they're great for home recording when you don't need portability, and want a lot of control over the recording process, plus the silence, and size of hard disk recoding.

Homeunit, I use the built in effects when I'm going straight in, and when I recorded off the floor the other night I just used a plain setting for the mic., with no effects added.
    I'm still trying to find a way to dump it to my comp. hard drive. I can hear it, but it won't record and my sound card's recording program won't load. I think it's XP that's causing the problem.
    I've ordered the optional USB port card for the 1044, but it won't be here for a week or 2.
    I'm still looking for a simple line in recorder on the web, that works in XP.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Maybe ask the professionals... heres an address- you can ask and get info you need. info@controlnoise.com, We have tiles, curtains, panels and foam in the basement. Neighbors are pretty distant maybe 3-4 acres between homes and no complaints of yet. Only thing i don't like is the foam is highly flammable.
    Goodluck [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

p.s or you can call 1-800-net-well *(638-9355)

[ January 01, 2002 at 07:16 PM: Message edited by: Tracy ]</p>