Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Hmmm...don\'t have one
    Last Online

01.11.08 @ 09:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, my guitar professor tells me that every string is supposed to be a perfect octave at the 12th fret from an open string. He said the only one that's correct all the way up the fretboard is the high E. He said the fine tuners are all outta place. Should all of them be evenly lined up? I have a standard Strat tremolo bridge. Thanx.

------------------
    Kenyon Vincent-the linker formerly known as Red-Balled Mammoth.
    "God bless ya southern California, you people are bad-asssss"-DLR at the '83 Us Festival.
    "No, that's not a microphone in my pants. I'm just happy to see ya, Californiaaaaaa!"-DLR at the '83 Us Festival

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think what he's referring to are your bridge saddles, not fine tuners. If they are out of place, it's your INTONATION that needs to be adjusted. This can be done with a phillips head screwdriver and your ear or a tuner. Here's the plan....GO WRITE THIS DOWN WHERE YOU WON'T LOSE IT!!!!!!

1) tune your guitar

2) in PLAYING position (NOT lying down), play a natural harmonic at the 12th fret of a string....THEN fret the note at the 12th fret using NORMAL finger pressure.

2a) if the FRETTED note is SHARP (ie too high), you must LENGTHEN the string by turning the screw that goes into the rear of its saddle CLOCKWISE; this will pull the string backwards. This will also make the string sharp, so tune it back down, and repeat the process until the harmonic matches the fretted note.

2b) if the FRETTED note is FLAT (ie too low), you must SHORTEN the string by turning the screw that goes into the rear of its saddle COUNTERCLOCKWISE; this will move the saddle toward the neck and make the string flat, so tune it back up and repeat the process until the harmonic matches the fretted note.

3) repeat for the other strings.

Since there are so many laws of physics involved, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get perfect intonation on a guitar, so don't kill yourself struggling to get it 100%. If it's decent, your guitar will sound a whole lot better, especially when chording.

If you are hesitant to do this yourself, find a shop nearby and ask for a 'SET UP'. This usually costs about $25-$30 depending on strings, but your intonation, action, truss rod, and stringing would be taken care of for you. If Washington was anywhere near Indianapolis (which i have no clue about) I could do it for you and show you how all those things work, for a nominal fee, of course.

Good luck!

one more thing...i have NEVER seen an electric guitar properly intonated with the saddles straight across, so that is NOT the goal. Don't worry about what the 'line' looks like, it;s the SOUND that counts.

------------------
    Official Calculator of the VHLinks...and damn proud!

[This message has been edited by AbeVanHalen (edited March 08, 2001 at 09:41 PM).]

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Hmmm...don\'t have one
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know they aren't really fine tuners, but that's just what I called them so people would get what I was referring to. I know they shouldn't be even with each other. I've seen lots of guitars and the saddles are NEVER even. And about Washington being near Indy...it's not. I'm about 2.5 hours south of there. North of Evansville(about an hour's or 1.5 hour's drive). I won't make you fix my guitar. Anyway, my professor also said my neck's sorta warped. I never have noticed though. I also can't do this tuning/adjusting myself. I don't have that 'gift' and I haven't practiced with it a lot. So I can't tune that well, but I'm not bad for a beginner. Thanks anyway.

------------------
    "God bless ya southern California, you people are bad-asssss"-DLR at the '83 Us Festival.
    "No, that's not a microphone in my pants. I'm just happy to see ya, Californiaaaaaa!"-DLR at the '83 Us Festival

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

take your guitar to a guitar shop and have the repair man check the neck....it may just need a trussrod adjustment...if its a strat you have, replacement necks are easy to find....usually a repairman can straighten a warped neck too.....when we get done with you ken you re gonna know al the lingo and jargon .....you know its fun reading these posts it takes me back when i first started playing

------------------
    Eddie Van Halen , there is no substitute.... Member of the G4 ...... fuck all boy bands....."Its restAraunt with an A !"

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Hmmm...don\'t have one
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First off, it's Kenyon, not Ken.

Anyway, I know the truss rod can adjust the neck. After all, that's what it's there for. Secondly, it won't be easy to find a replacement neck. Mine's a lefty!I hate being left-handed. Can't get a Wolfgang! But I plan on selling my strat to a guitar shop since I ordered a lefty Epiphone Les Paul. Only $380! So maybe I'll have to make that tremolo floating again.

------------------

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

first off pardon me "kenYON" and actually cept for flippin the nut you can use a right handed neck....i put a left handed strat neck on my explorer body...(you might not like the reversed headstock though). those epi les pauls look kinda cool. i like the colors they come in too .i d like to pick one up one day along with one of the korina vee s...all they need is a pick up upgrade. good luck with your new guitar. btw what color did you get?

------------------
    Eddie Van Halen , there is no substitute.... Member of the G4 ...... fuck all boy bands....."Its restAraunt with an A !"

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Hmmm...don\'t have one
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You're pardoned, Rick. And I canceled my order on the Les Paul. It was only $380, but I have 3 guitars now and I wanted a portable MP3 player. So I ordered that instead. My mom would kill me if I had four guitars on my budget. But it was Heritage Cherry Sunburst, the only color they had(though the picture was of a black one). I'll get it one day though 'cause I plan on selling one of my acoustic guitars. My Fender Strat will have to do. I would miss my whammy bar if I had to get rid of it. But Les Pauls look and feel like a dream, and sound even better. My Crate amp would make it cool with the Overdrive feature it has.

------------------

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Kenyon, you didn't lose anyhting by giving up the epiphone. Also if your neck is warped toss it, it's not worth repairing unless it's a very high quality neck.
    Rick S was right about using a right handed neck, and just flipping the nut around. Besides looking pretty cool, you might find one that fits your hand better, or has better frets, and it won't make any difference at all in playability.
    Also if your looking for something closer to Ed's sound, I've got a matched set of Wolfgang pickups taken out of a standard if you're interested.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Hmmm...don\'t have one
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well tribb, the Wolfie pickups would be cool, but that would require time and money. Neither of which I have much of. I'd have to have my guitar routed for the pickups since mine are single coil. And I think my neck is just fine. I don't notice any warpage, but what do I know? And I wouldn't want a righty neck unless it was a Les Paul type. The headstock is ugly in my eyes if it's reversed. I like my guitar just fine and have no problems really. It's not like I gig with it, so I'm not desperate. I just need to get the saddles corrected. The overdrive on my amp makes it sound better and less thin, so I'm satisfied so far. Thanx for the help though, guys.

------------------