On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

van halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

eruption
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi I recently drove an hour long drive to test out the mesa dual rectifier.Wow!!!!!!Thats the tone and the sound I want. It was 1,499 for the head and 749 for the cab. The triple was only 100 dollars more. I have about 1,200 saved up. Should I wait and save for 3 or 4 more months or buy one used on ebay?
    Bringing real guitar solos back to music-RIP rhoads and Srv-Rock on vai-Wylde-slash-and eddie!!!!!!!!!!<br /> "I don't like to push the envelope, Id rather chuck grenades into it!" -Ted Nugent-<br /><br /> =PASSION AND WARFARE=<br /> "That stevie vai, what a nice little boy!" -the audience is listening-

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Homeunit's the one with a lot of mesa experience, and is a big fan unlike me, so this is just an opinion.
    If you can get one one ebay, for a lot less money then why not. Understand though, that on ebay you're giving up any warranty that comes with the amp. If it comes with broken tubes, then you're just S.O.L
    A store will give you a warranty, and will usually back up a high quality name like mesa with no problem.
    Although I haven't tried many mesa heads, I have tried and used their speakers and I have to say I don't like them. I find them too soft sounding, and while they have a good tonal response, I find them really lacking in tightness as far as bass and top end.
    I think you could do just as well to pay the extra 100 for the triple, although the double will probably be enough for anything you want to play, and get a marshall 4x12 cab. with some good celestions. Celestions pack a nice punch and won't color the sound of the head, and if and when you sell them you can always get back what you paid.
    The triple rectifier head uses quite a few tubes, and when replacement time comes be prepared to pay.
    If you're touring and you need an extensive array of sounds, then you might need the triple, but the double would more than likely be enough.
    Now, here's where HU tells me I'm full of shit..

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Tribb

Your full of shit!

The biggest determinant of which model to get is your needs and your buget. If you don't need 9 different sounds avaliable to you via your footswitch, don't buy a triple. It'd be a waste. I myself would love that type of versitility, but it's not for everyone.

The Duals are a great amp with lots of options, they work and sound fucking great. The project I'm with right now has me running my Marshall, and the other guy running a Dual, and it works great. I have two channels, and he has two, but the tonal changes he can get put my marshall to shame. Mind you I'm doing a Beatlish project right now so the big Marshall wallop isn't really needed.

The Mesa's are a brilliantly thought out amp. It's like they're made for a gigging musician. I think they took the best of what each different amp company was offering and packaged it into one box that's built like a sherman tank. Variable effects loop, power options (as in how hot you run your tubes)switching option that rule etc. Tube last a long time in them, but they are expensive. I say if you can't afford tubes, you can't afford the amp. Just buget for them. My buddy hasn't changed his in over two years and it still sounds amazing.

As for the cabs, I'm with tribb on this one. The mesa cabs are great but expensive. If you want a Mesa cab, try a Mesa Engineering cab, they rule, but $$$!

The heads have so much versitility that you can get away with pretty much any cab, so if your not to picky about the look, get an old Marshall cab and save yourself some bucks. I've heard a triple through a fender cab and it sounded better then any new amp out there. I've ran a dual with a homemade peice of shit 2x12 cab and it worked just fine. Try out a mesa engineering cab, beside a marshall 4x12 and let your ears deceide. Just make sure to crank it with your guitar, and if the sales guy gives you grief, flash your cash and tell him the fuck off! lol

Another cool thing about the mesa heads are you can run them full power (120watts), or at half power (60watts) so you don't have to kill everybody with volume. And they sound great at low volumes!

As far as buying used, I wouldn't. It's not like it's a vintage peice that's hard to get. Buy the fucker new. They're built like a tank, but who know what the idiot before you did to it, and how many beers he dumped over on it. I know this guy who has a triple and he fucked it up somehow, totally his fault, but he took it in to get fixed, warranty covered it, and they gave him a backup in the meantime. If your going to buy one buy new, it's worth the extra $$ for the peice of mind, and if you take care of it, it will last you a lifetime, (pretty much! lol).

and that's all I have to say about that [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I gotta say that when I tried out a Boogie a few weeks ago I almost shit my pants and I think some of it had to do with the cabinet. Those cabs are dark as hell sounding. The Boogie cabinets even sounded better than the Rivera one did and the Rivera was more $. I was really hungover and feeling sick when I tried the amps out but I think my ears were functioning normally. I could be wrong though.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

See, I told you he'd tell me I was full of shit.
    He does know Mesa's though.
    I'm a Marshall man myself.. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

van halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When I first pluged in I played some new ozzy gets me through and it sounded indenical, then i switched to the modern gain and busted out the drop d tunning stuff. I felt like crying, its the coolest amp. I played in a sound proof room so I cranked it. Boy while I was playing my ears were fine but when I turned it off, ouch, ring ring. Anyway I will just go all out buy it new and buy the matching cab so I wont have any regets later.
    Bringing real guitar solos back to music-RIP rhoads and Srv-Rock on vai-Wylde-slash-and eddie!!!!!!!!!!<br /> "I don't like to push the envelope, Id rather chuck grenades into it!" -Ted Nugent-<br /><br /> =PASSION AND WARFARE=<br /> "That stevie vai, what a nice little boy!" -the audience is listening-