Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I guess my Wolf is from 97 or 98............not really all that sure........

Anyways, the damn thing just doesn't want to stay in tune anymore. And anyone who knows my guitar history......I know very little about the care and mainteance of an axe.

So I took it to my buddy who's an Ed-A-holic. He said my top frets (the ones near the nut) are really warn and this is causing the guitar to go out of tune when I fret a chord and really press harder than I need to. The strings are dipping down into the grooves that I've warn and this is causing the pitch to go up.

Is this really the problem?

Should this be happening after 4 - 5 years of moderate playing?

Should I wait until the other frets "go bad" until I do a "fret job"..........and how much is that.

He told me just not to press as hard and threw me that shit eatin' grin.......

Also the switch for the neck pickup is dead........he said that's special order for the Wolfie.

Oh yeah.........the volume pot is sometimes scratchy...........so if the day ever came where I could play Cathedral......I'm fucked.

He said most of it could be just cleaned.......

Are these the same problems you guys run into with other axes?

Sorry to ramble.........I've never owned a guitar long enough to have problems.
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The pot and switch are minor. Not expensive and easily replaceable. You can even use a gibson switch for a toggle on those. It's just a 3 way switch and a 500 K ohm pot, readily available at just about any music or electronic store, so don't let peavey gouge you for the parts.
    If you press too hard on a neck with high frets like the wolf has it'll sound out of tune while you're pressing down, even if the frets are new. If they're really worn badly there will be a lot of buzzing when you fret notes near the nut.
    If they're worn that badly you have 3 options.
    You can have all the frets dressed, which involves smoothing the badly worn ones first, and then filing the other frets so they match the lowest in size. If you like them tall, and don't want the frets all lowered then that's not a good option.
    Your second option is to have all the frets replaced and start from scratch. The most expensive option but sometimes the only one.
    The third is possibly the one that will work for you. If you say you play moderately and there's very little wear on the other frets because you concentrate your playing around the nut then you can have the badly worn frets removed and have the 2 or 3 new frets dressed to match the others. That way you still keep most of your overall
    fret height, and it's the least expensive option. I've had it done to a couple of guitars when I've damaged frets with a metal slide, which I don't use any more.
    As far as cost, there's a real difference from luthier to luthier. A complete refret costs me about 150.US, when you figure the equivalent from Canadian to US funds.
    I usually have one guitar refretted every couple of years, so it sounds like you could be about due, but again, if your other frets are in good shape, just a replacement of the worn ones might be your best option.
    Get a luthier to check it while he explains what he thinks is best, and make up your mind from there.
    When you see a luthier ask him to check your intonation as well, especially if you've changed string gauges in the last while.
    Ask around and talk to the guy whose actually gonna do the work, rather than just leaving it at the store and hoping for the best.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the info Tribb........

My other question is what's the difference between the guy who's restringing my guitar and replacing the pot and stuff.......and a luthier?

Where do I find one and do they get some sort of license?

Thanks again for your input..... [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.07.15 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

A luthier has the ability to build guitars. A guitar repairman should be able to repair the frets or replace them. Pots and switches go bad frequently. If you have any experiance soldering you should be able to replace them yourself. I would suggest making a drawing of the switch and pot and what color wire goes where before doing that. Are your frets noticably worn? If it is that bad youe should be able to see the wear. The frets would not cause a tuning problem depending on how you tune. If you use harmonics to tune or a tuner and tune to open strings, and it is out of tune often, it would not be the frets that are the problem. It could possibly be worn parts on your Floyd. IF the parts that clamp the strings down are not clamping properly, it could cause the strings to slip.

Good luck!
    "Why behave in public if you're living on a playground?"

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, you can see the some of the top frets have grooves in them.

I tried that trick where you push down on the string above the locking nut to see if the pitch would go up (meaning that the part that clamps the string against the nut has developed a groove and no longer does its job????

No change in pitch.

It seems like when I fret a D chord and press a little hard........it goes out of tune.

Also the guitar over all doesn't seem to stay in tune as well when I first got it. Hell, maybe just some new strings would help.

Hey, thanks for your help.....I need all the information I can get

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you haven't changed your strings in awhile that can be a big factor. Over time worn strings can lose intonation and be almost impossible to tune properly.
    You say when you push down on a D chord hard it doesn't sound like it's in tune. Is it the same when you fret it lightly?
    It really just sounds like an intonation problem which any guitar tech can fix in a snap for next to nothing, but change and stretch out those strings first and see if that helps.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tribb,

It seems as thougt just by adding more pressure on my fingers....the pitch goes higher.

Honestly, it hasen't been the same since I took it to the lake one summer.......it was buzzing like a son of a bitch after a couple of days at the cabin. I adjusted that rod that's in the neck and that took the fret buzz away......but it just hasen't been the same since.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jimmy, if you did an adjustment on the neck, that could explain a couple of things as well. When you took your wolf to the cottage, the change in temp. and humidity could easily have caused the neck to swell and even bow slightly differently. It might have corrected it self, but then again it might not have, and if you adjusted it, you might have over corrected it.
    I think the best thing for you to do at this point is get a new pack of strings, but don't put them on.
    Take the guitar the strings to a qualified guitar tech at a reputable music store and tell them you'd like a complete setup, and what problems you're having. They'll do a proper adjustment on the neck and set your intonation after putting on the new strings and it's really the cheapest way to go. If it needs fret work you'll be told, and if there are any other problems they'll be found during the setup. Most stores charge 20-25 for a setup so it's not much and it should make a big difference.
    Let me know how it goes.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the info tribb...

I passed the message along to the dude working on the Wolfgang. The guy who's workin' on it is a total Ed-Head.

I'll never understand why he sold his EBMM to buy a Wofie. Now years later......I still wonder why he did that.

Anyways, it's just me and my Musicyo Steinberger for a couple of more days......what a little piece of shit....but it was a good deal for $300......

The pick-ups in this thing aren't as nearly hot as the Wolfie's............see guys I'm pickin' up on the technical shit......

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.07.15 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

I pretty much do everything to repair or set up my own guitars including changing pots, pick ups etc...
    The on thing I have never screwed with is the truss rod. The only reason is you can do some serious damge to the neck if done wrong. Definately have the tension checked out..
    "Why behave in public if you're living on a playground?"

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, I got my Wolfie back last weekend.

They threw on some new stings.

The neck was out of whack...just a bit.

The toggle switch for the pickups, just needed to be cleaned.......not replaced.

The D-Tuner was all screwed up........still is.......

The whole thing is like at an angle.......rather than being totally parallel with the guitar. It now points down towards the body of the guitar........but its dead on when you pull it out and push it in.........very tight.......but better than before.

The top frets......or is it the lower........the ones where I bang out my power chords...... ......have some wear and tear on them........but not band enough to replace.

I was told this........"if the your chord goes to a different pitch when you press really hard........then don't press hard."

So there you go.

All that for $16...........of course it helps when the guy that worked on it is also and "Ed Head"........

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

sounds like he shimmed the neck pocket...i dont know if thats a good idea for a wolf special. the standard has an angled neck though right?
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a Standard..........I think he just adjusted the rod that runs up and down the neck.......I think.......but then, I did't ask..........he just said the neck was off a little.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

He probably just adjusted the truss rod.
    Actually, 16. is a good price for stringing, and setting up your wolf. You said he cleaned the switch as well so that's a bonus, and I guess he told you what you already knew about not pressing down too hard.
    It sounds like the the D-tuna bolt might be angled wrong where it screws into the back of the wolf trem at the saddle. It shouldn't be that tight when moving it in and out. That's something you might want to check out with peavey. They may send you a new trem saddle which could take care of the crooked D-tuna. You say it's working though so that's good.
    If rcrimm reads this he might have some advice for you regarding the D-tuna, going to the peavey site and contacting the repair department might be a good idea.
    If it turns out to be a saddle, your buddy can put it in, in a couple of minutes.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the info on the D-Tuna............