Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

just curious about this....can the pod be used with a power amp to some degree of succsess? or would it be to noisy or thin or something? cause i know the pods around 250.00 and ive seen power amps on ebay for around 300.00. what power amps work best? mos valve? solid state? tube? i see alot of peavey,tube works mos valve and mesa 20/20 power amps on ebay and ive always wondered about this type of set up or is it just more complicated than a head and cabinet set up?
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

PANAMA
    Last Online

09.16.17 @ 09:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I DONT HAVE A POD, BUT WHAT I HAVE HEARD IS THAT THEY SOUND LIKE SHIT THROUGH A GUITAR AMP, THEY SAY THE BEST WAY TO PLAY THEM IS THROUGH HEADPHONES, PA SYSTEM, OR A HOME STERIO.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i dont mean using it in front of a guitar amp. i mean in combination with a power amp. the pod as the preamp and the power amp as the driver to the speaker cab.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Unchained (tie)
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm seriously considering buying a POD Pro rackmount unit to replace my ADA MP2, and go with my Marshall EL34 power amp. I had been kind of waffling between spending $600 for the POD and $2100 for a new H&K head. I still want the H&K, but as I'm currently dropping money left and right on Microsoft Certification courses and tests, I'm liking the POD's pricetag a lot better right about now, and it doesn't hurt that I've been listening to King's X "Manic Moonlight" quite a bit lately. Recorded almost entirely with a POD Pro rack setup (I think Ty uses a Mesa Stereo 2:90 power amp to warm up the tone a bit), Ty Tabor's tone is, as always, great on that one. Also, I just finished my dream rig computer (this weekend, in fact...), and I'm wanting to do the whole digital studio thing, and the POD is just about the ultimate studio guitar tool, so score some more points for the POD.

Still, I've heard some mixed reviews about it, and Ty Tabor could probably plug into a freakin' toaster and sound like God, but I think I've heard enough from my bud's Flextone II combo to think that a POD should sound pretty damned decent through my tube power amp & 4x12 cab.

As with anything though, make sure you try it (preferrably with your own axe) before you buy it, or at least try to get a 3-day "love it or leave it" deal from whoever you buy it from.

SBS
    What, me, worry?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As with anything though, make sure you try it (preferrably with your own axe) before you buy it, or at least try to get a 3-day "love it or leave it" deal from whoever you buy it from.
    Really good advice.
    You always want to try it with your own guitar.
    I tried a pod through my marshall head's power amp at one time, and didn't like it at all, but then I used a flextone head for gigging one weekend and it sounded just great through the same old greenback cab.
    I've never tried one with a regular marshall power amp, but I'm wondering if the pod sounds better through a solid state power amp, which might have a more even balance.
    I do have an old line 6 spyder that I picked up cheap awhile ago, and use it at home for just messing around, and learning tunes.
    If you guys try one with a tube power amp versus a solid state power amp let us know what you think.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gang,

I use the POD in front of my 2 ampheads(I play in stereo), it's plugged right into the guitar input in front of my 5150 120 watt and to the input of a Markley 60 watt both tubed heads 6l6's in the 5150 and El34 in the Markley, I do run the POD thru an SRQ 15 band stereo EQ and a Hush xcII
    before the heads, but anyway both ampheads are set to clean and everything coming out of them is generated by the POD, however I had a stereo power amp (solidstate) and ran the POD thru then instead of the tubed heads and there was a major difference, it sounded horrid so the Tubed heads IMO are the way to go if your going to do that.
    Honestly I love the guitar sound I have but I always like to figit with other things, I won't touch my setup now.
    later,
    Rol.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

I recently bought a POD Pro to go with my Mesa P20 Power Amp. I noticed something interesting on the back of the POD. If you switch it to the live setting, it turns the speaker simulation off. If you switch it to studio setting, it turns on the amp sims.

I'm thinking, that if you had a POD, and turned off the speaker sims while running through a cab, it would help.

My flextone amp rocks. I love it's sound, but even running a POD through the flextone didn't do as well (all distortion and tone coming through the POD).

So, I'm going to try my POD Pro setup with the Mesa tonight. If I get a good sound, then I am good to go. If not, the Flextone is it for me.
    Your favorite band sucks.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I had a Pod Pro for a while and I tried every concievable power amp setup, and nope, it didn't work for me at all.

It sounds muffled, almost like there's a blanket over your cab, and not amount of EQ fixs that. The problem is with the actual modelled sound I think. It's too perfect, it dosn't react to your playing, it's either on or it's off.

I did try a 2/90 setup and it sounded good, but not great. At that point you have to start looking at price. Are you willing to spend that much on a power amp to try and make something sound just ok? For the price of a pod pro and a 2/90 you could have almost any tube amp you wanted.

I'm totally biased towards tube amps. That's all I've ever played, and that's want I know how to use, but I did give the amp modellers a fair shot.

In the studio, the pod can sound good through some distressors and expensive tube pre-amps but it still isn't the same as a real tube amp IMO.

Ty uses a pod pro setup and it works in the studio, although I wouldn't use that tone personally, but it's good nontheless. Live I have to say it ain't there. It's the same thing, the tone sounds muffled and distant. Now think if you were in a two guitar band, what do you think that would sound like [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]

Some guy love, and swear by the modellers, but I don't like them. They're not for me.

I would suggest getting an old jmp, or 800 and forget about the modellers.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

04.21.13 @ 04:53 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I sold my Marshall 1976 JMP w/ 4x12 cab on eBay and bought a Marshall AVT50 1x12 as a replacement. Now I plug my POD 2.0 into the AVT50 power amp and it sounds great.

That's just my opinion though. I know a lot of people aren't happy with the sound of the POD.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Originally posted by VHND:
    I sold my Marshall 1976 JMP w/ 4x12 cab on eBay.
    well you have to have them fixed up to sound right
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.26.07 @ 11:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I heard that the POD will work wonders plugged into a PA system. You can pick one up for pretty cheap these days.

Read the instruction manual when it comes to various setups. Using the POD to front an amp is detailed there. Do as they say and you will get tone.

As you know the POD is hard to beat when it comes to recording. The only problem I found was that I couldn't get it to feedback—you need the real amp to do that.
    My first time in the spotlight was from a helicopter.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Any Song Hagar Doesn't Sing
    Last Online

08.12.10 @ 07:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by VHND:
    I sold my Marshall 1976 JMP w/ 4x12 cab on eBay and bought a Marshall AVT50 1x12 as a replacement. Now I plug my POD 2.0 into the AVT50 power amp and it sounds great.

That's just my opinion though. I know a lot of people aren't happy with the sound of the POD.
    VHND, how do you like that AVT50? Holding up well? The ongoing quest for an amp for my son has put this one in the final running. He really likes the sound of the AVT line. Sounds pretty decent to me also.
    "Tardy? I don't feel tardy!"

"I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister!" - DLR

Pride and Glory - the Packer Story!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

well you have to have them fixed up to sound right
    Yup.

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:40 PM
    Liked 732 Times in 347 Posts

The lead guitar player in my band had a pod that he ran through a 200 watt 2 channel Marshall power amp, not a guitar amp, but a power amp. His intention was to run stereo through two cabinets. He was never happy with the sound, so he bought some expensive ass Digitech rack mounted effects processor preamp and ran it through the same setup. It sounded better, but still was not what he liked. The conclusion he finally came to after much money was spent is that there is no substitute for a good tube amp through a good 4x12 cabinet. His rig now consists of: a '76 Les Paul Custom(black w/silver)with a DiMarzio Evolution in the bridge position, a Top Hat Emplexidor 50watt head(louder than my JCM900 at 100watts), and a Marshall 4x12 cabinet with Celestion Vintage 30s installed(Tone Tubbies were his first choice, but big waiting list and too much money for them) His tone kicks ass, and is louder than shit!
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

04.21.13 @ 04:53 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by BigBadBrian:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by VHND:

VHND, how do you like that AVT50? Holding up well? The ongoing quest for an amp for my son has put this one in the final running. He really likes the sound of the AVT line. Sounds pretty decent to me also.</font>[/QUOTE]I'm very happy with it so far although I haven't played it as much as I would have liked. It's purely for home use and the occasional jam and it's more than loud enough for that.

The only thing I don't like is the sound of the fan. It's annoying, but there's not much I can do about it. Clean and overdrive are both great, but I've been mainly just using the power amp in combination with the POD.