On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

So Hard . . .
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can someone here tell me what Eddie use for this song ?
    [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] -------Thank------- [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    EVH: Definitely. Playing guitar was my sanctuary. It was the one place I could go to if I got fucked around by a girlfriend, or anyone else, for that matter. It still is. If there’s something I can’t deal with, I can just spend hours playing. It’s a God-given gift – I certainly don’t know where the ideas come from. They’re obviously given to you, and you have to keep your fingers moving and your mind quiet. I try my best to not think about thinking, so I can just let it flow. Because when I start thinking, forget it. <br />So....why he isn't playing guitar ? ? ?

Webmaster/Graphic Artist Top Timmy's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

10.28.16 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sounds like a perfect topic for the Guitar forum...moving there now. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Webmaster/Graphic Artist
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

VH5150 -

The meat of the sound is obviously due to Ed's use of the Flanger, which he used a bit more on the earlier albums than the later ones. He also doubled the solo parts with a Coral Electric Sitar.

If you are lucky enough to get one of the older MXR model Flangers (grey), then you can dial your settings like this - image your knobs as clock faces and set them as follows (i.e.- 3 o'clock is at about 75%, 12:00 is about 50%, etc.)

Manual - 2 O'clock

Speed - 10 O'clock

Width - 11 O'clock

Regeneration - 2 O'clock

You can use this setting for the majority of Ed's songs where he uses the Flanger, with a few exceptions. This setting works pretty well for the long tapped phrases in Eruption as well.

[ January 26, 2003, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: Wolfman ]

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

hes also using a slapback delay on the intro. and a phaser on the solos and the bridge part.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:17 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

I think you mean 'Phaser'. His phaser was predominant throught the first album. I hear no flanger on Eruption, but he does have his phaser set as low as it will go on certain parts of the track.

The only time I hear a flanger on "Aint Talkin 'Bout Love" is when he turns it on & off real quick while hitting that "snarling" C note (actually it's a B-note because it's tuned down) every time he plays the main riff.

Maybe that's flanger during the really quiet part after the solo.....I can't recall.

[ January 26, 2003, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: Majestic ]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

First off, Rick is right, there's the equivalent of a 100ms delay on the intro to ATBL.

Second, I most certainly meant Flanger, not Phaser. Yes, Ed played nearly every solo on the first album with his Phaser set on a slow sweep, but ATBL unmistakably has a Flanger set on slow sweep throughout the song, with the exception being during the picked out chord figures under the break ("i've been to the edge.."). He then kicks it back on the harmonics fills ("gotta bleed for it, baby!"). The snarl you hear on the descending C-B passage is due to the sweep of the flanger. Dweezil Zappa was noted for asking Ed in an interview how he managed to kick those things on and get the sweep perfect every time. of course Ed's response was something like "I dunno, man - I just stomp em, ya know?" LOL Although every "study" I've ever seen of the song has no mention of it, I could certainly see a phaser on the solo as opposed to a flanger.

As far as "Eruption" goes, every transcription I have ever seen of the song mentions the flanger used with varied settings at different parts of the piece, although always with a slow sweep setting. I'm sure a phaser could be used just the same at it's lowest setting, since they are both delay-based effects that can add a similar effect of a slow sweep.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

There is a single(1 repeat) slap back delay on the intro.especially the live versions from the first tour. actually after the picked intro when it sounds like he s hitting the open A chord twice, the second time its the slapback delay sounding. he also uses the flanger at the outro when he hits the whammy dives on the open E. the flanger peppers certain notes. i still say its a phaser on the bridge part.

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well there's no mystique here, as far as the VAN HALEN studio version.

There is no PREDOMINANT phaser on Ain't Talkin, as far as the solo section. It's the fucking electric sitar that is providing that doubled with the electric.

As far as 100ms, that seems too short a setting for the slapback, but I could be wrong. Fucking Ed usually provides the rhythym meat, rather than the slapback doin it, when he performs the song live.

As far as any flanger in Eruption, it's not entirely impossible. But I'd say that noone is going to miss the flanger IF it is there, and you'll need for alot of parts, is the phaser.

I meant to add, I think it was Wolf, that mentioned some shit about the sitar or something. I just caught it as I was posting. But I don't mean to make light you know.

[ January 27, 2003, 12:26 AM: Message edited by: TheMightyCopenHalenII ]
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:17 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Originally posted by Rick S:
    the flanger peppers certain notes. i still say its a phaser on the bridge part.
    I agree....that was basically my contention too.

I respectfully disagree with the statement, "the meat of the sound....flanger...etc"

The Flanger is "touched" every time he hits the C note, and then is switched off.

To my knowledge, the phaser is used throughout the entire song. Just listen to the slow sweep you can hear when he lets the open G chord ring.

Lots of tablature, including some that I own, mentions using a flanger (set low) throughout almost every song, but fails to mention the Phaser.....it's simply a misunderstanding on their part. I myself had NO IDEA exactly how Ed got those tones until I saw the Curt Mitchell video, which suddenly brought Ed's original 1970s explanation of his phaser use into light.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

06.24.15 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"Well, he's an intelligent, well-read guy. But it's like he can't connect the dots somehow." (EVH Guitar World, March 1998).

GP: "Did you use a pick for "Spanish Fly"?

EVH: "Yeah, except for the part near the end that sounds like Montoya or something."